RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Central NEW YORK boaters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/9801940-central-new-york-boaters.html)

parshallboatworks 11-01-2012 06:40 PM

RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

ORIGINAL: bdog1

Rick Very nice work !
Hey is that a wing strut for a Loning in the left bottom corner ?:eek:
hey mike, thanks.... been a nice kit to build... GO ZIPP!!! man.... i have turned this place upside down several times looking for that darn loening struts.... i think dads ghost hid em on me....lol.. i know he is watchin me!!! did you hear i am going to grab his BYRON P-51 from lynfield lewis's son wayne, so lynn b. can have it in his shop for a few more yrs.... lol... hi Lynn...lol... I like to see dads stuff come back!!!!
Rick P.

bdog1 11-02-2012 03:21 AM

Don't feel bad rick ,I have lost stuff in my shop that I know must be right in front of my eyes but cant seem to spot....has nothing to do with getting older I'm sure

Blackout 11-02-2012 03:54 AM

Hi Rick, Dan's Crafts and Things has magnets....

http://www.danscraftsandthings.com/istar.asp?a=29

Edit: Link broke on their site, do a search for "rare earth magnet" on the Dan's site.

Edit: Also search IW for cowl mounting ideas. A lot of good info over there. Jim's Dock too.

Billk44 11-02-2012 04:01 AM

Thanks for posting Craig. The size determines the holding power. Too big and is really difficult to get the cowling/hatch off. A quick posting on Jim's Boat Dock will get you the size answer.

joebahl 11-02-2012 08:54 AM

http://dx.com/s/magnets, Here are some magnets

Blackout 11-02-2012 09:12 AM

Both Sunday and Saturday are going to be cold! [:o] We might have sun on Sunday, so that would be the better day for anyone wanting to dig at the island. I think I will cut more trees down on Saturday for firewood and get some more mileage on the blade and then I'll use that blade to go at the stumps on the island. Once I hit dirt a few times, the blade gets ruined, so no sense using a new one.

If anyone thinks it's too cold, they could be right, so just stay home. Next weekend looks to be warmer, so that could be a better time to do the work.

Let me know.

Joe Petro 11-02-2012 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We are machining cowl plugs for the JAE 12G now, and will have the following very soon:

JAE 21G
JAE 45G
JAE 45FE

The nitro cowlings will be epoxy glass and the FE cowling will be vacuum formed HIPS.

Joe

advanced builder 11-02-2012 03:58 PM

I better wait till the weather gets better. Craig
Joe
they look sharp. The .45 cowl will be a good seller,with the carbs upfront we needed something. Funny how one hull got the .45 back in style. [8D] Twins twins any plans.
We got a builder gone wild. Thunderboat racing will be fun. Mr Thompson is waiting!! If one don't get you the other one will. :( Same with Roger and Tom tag team -em.

Blackout 11-02-2012 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Joe
they look sharp. The .45 cowl will be a good seller,with the carbs upfront we needed something. Funny how one hull got the .45 back in style. [8D] Twins twins any plans.
We got a builder gone wild. Thunderboat racing will be fun. Mr Thompson is waiting!! If one don't get you the other one will. :( Same with Roger and Tom tag team -em.
Good idea Neil. Next weekend should be warmer.

My carb is in back. :D

http://www.vpmcobras.com/images/46nr2.jpg

parshallboatworks 11-02-2012 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Joe
Good idea Neil. Next weekend should be warmer.

My carb is in back. :D

http://www.vpmcobras.com/images/46nr2.jpg

Hey craig... the one on the left looks nice.... my carb is on the back too.... lol.... hey!!!! MAAS medium is faster than i am...just sayin...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...spinnyeyes.gif

advanced builder 11-03-2012 07:35 AM

I got one in hiding Craig
That 3 rd channel remote needle looks really nice. good grab. Stu Barr has a really nice pipe. Same with the AA pipe. I didn't get to finish pipe testing. Now is that .21 a new engine /spare ? they are nice.
I better not run my .45 [X(] scared.
My smashed up .45 hull is back with a new transom. And the on /off switch has been changed. Down is ON so look out. My spare .45 will be built this winter. With updates. ,like hardwood on the right sponson. And screw down the boom tubes.. The left sponson doesn't need the hardwood. NO stress to speak of. All the stress is on the right sponson. I plan on making up several right sponsons no lefts. The buoy hits will be on the right side. Spares. 3 or 4 spares with primer. I gotta feeling someone will need -em

Blackout 11-03-2012 08:24 AM

I got one in hiding Craig
That 3 rd channel remote needle looks really nice. good grab. Stu Barr has a really nice pipe. Same with the AA pipe. I didn't get to finish pipe testing. Now is that .21 a new engine /spare ? they are nice.
I better not run my .45 [X(] scared.
My smashed up .45 hull is back with a new transom. And the on /off switch has been changed. Down is ON so look out. My spare .45 will be built this winter. With updates. ,like hardwood on the right sponson. And screw down the boom tubes.. The left sponson doesn't need the hardwood. NO stress to speak of. All the stress is on the right sponson. I plan on making up several right sponsons no lefts. The buoy hits will be on the right side. Spares. 3 or 4 spares with primer. I gotta feeling someone will need -em
I have two NR .21 5-ports that are brand new and spares. One has a counter-rotating crank installed for the twin project that was shelfed.

The dozer was dropped off yesterday. It's a D6R which is a good dozer for cutting into and pushing dirt. The D7H was not available, but the D6R is a newer model, so it should push just as well. Either way, it's a bigger machine that what Victor has. They are not digging today, I guess they decided they wanted the weekend off. They did about a 1/2 days work on Friday with both machines and it's looking good so far. I'll post pictures tonight. I have to cut trees down. That's my second job this time a year. Saves about $6,000 in heating cost per year and my wife gets to put the heat up high. :)

You are right about the left sponson. It's just along for the ride. :)

That third channel needle came with the engine. It does look nice. Should perform well too.

Blackout 11-03-2012 08:59 AM

Over the years I have been paying attention to what other clubs have as far as pond sizes. It's interesting to note that the 2011 Winternats was held at Lake Grew in Florida. That pond is over 1,000 feet long, but the width is only 225 feet. They ran a course turn radius of 15 feet and a straight of 400 feet long. The traditional 1/3 mile course has a 35 foot radius and a 330 foot straight. While I'm sure the racers wished they had more room on the back straight, it shows you what can work. Not sure how tall their driver stand was, but ours will be a huge benefit. If we can get to 250 feet with the money we have, I'm going to be very happy with that width. That's a 100 foot wide back straight. With six boats running, that 16.6 feet per boat. Should be enough. ;) The IMPBA rule book definition for lane width works out to be around 3 feet. It depends on the width of the boats running. Just thinking out loud. :)

parshallboatworks 11-03-2012 09:25 AM

Over the years I have been paying attention to what other clubs have as far as pond sizes. It's interesting to note that the 2011 Winternats was held at Lake Grew in Florida. That pond is over 1,000 feet long, but the width is only 225 feet. They ran a course turn radius of 15 feet and a straight of 400 feet long. The traditional 1/3 mile course has a 35 foot radius and a 330 foot straight. While I'm sure the racers wished they had more room on the back straight, it shows you what can work. Not sure how tall their driver stand was, but ours will be a huge benefit. If we can get to 250 feet with the money we have, I'm going to be very happy with that width. That's a 100 foot wide back straight. With six boats running, that 16.6 feet per boat. Should be enough. ;) The IMPBA rule book definition for lane width works out to be around 3 feet. It depends on the width of the boats running. Just thinking out loud. :)
16.6'per boat... i think i can even keep it in the lane.....http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

parshallboatworks 11-03-2012 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: rickyak55

16.6'per boat... i think i can even keep it in the lane.....http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

that is as long as i am in lane 2 or wider... let the darn bouies jump out in front of someone else... just sayin!!!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...bananahead.gif
RICK

parshallboatworks 11-03-2012 09:52 AM

[img]a href=[/img][img]&lt;a href=[/img]Bottom of boat #2.... left fore bottom and aft non trips left to go... inside sealing underway boat #1.... using the MAAS as suggested,guess the Z-poxy will never get used,better safe than sorry:)... radio boxes built,need servos to install mounts and seal.. using standard servos tom??? then start motor mounting and stuffing box instal on boat one and sealing up hull #2... medium MAAS to fast for that...(or me)they are coming along!!!!:D....WHAT IS WITH THIS WHITE STUFF OUTSIDE???????AAARRG[X(]LOL<div>Rick P.</div>

parshallboatworks 11-03-2012 10:15 AM

[img]a href=[/img]http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/...ps060e2bcd.jpg"/&gt;[img]&lt;a href=[/img]http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/...psd4929e1d.jpg"/&gt;Bottom of boat #2.... left fore bottom and aft non trips left to go... inside sealing underway boat #1.... using the MAAS as suggested,guess the Z-poxy will never get used,better safe than sorry:)... radio boxes built,need servos to install mounts and seal.. using standard servos tom??? then start motor mounting and stuffing box instal on boat one and sealing up hull #2... medium MAAS to fast for that...(or me)they are coming along!!!!:D....WHAT IS WITH THIS WHITE STUFF OUTSIDE???????AAARRG[X(]LOL<div>Rick P.</div>

Serpents Den 11-03-2012 10:22 AM

LOLIknow what that's like, my kitchen table has 3 different scale heli's being worked on, my coffee table is full of boat parts and my TC31, next to it are airgun parts and my modified .25cal AF Condor... my spare bedroom is fully loaded with a cr@pton of RC planes, Heli's and boats....

ORIGINAL: Billk44

The Bullitts are really nice running Thunderboats. You should have a blast with it.
i am building one for rodgers son, and mine at same time... talk about full shop with 2 builds and a 40%extra 260 in shop!!! i am sure we will have a blast... he bought me one for building his!! gotta say, NICE KIT JOE!!!! and THANKS TOM!!!

parshallboatworks 11-03-2012 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Serpents Den

LOLIknow what that's like, my kitchen table has 3 different scale heli's being worked on, my coffee table is full of boat parts and my TC31, next to it are airgun parts and my modified .25cal AF Condor... my spare bedroom is fully loaded with a cr@pton of RC planes, Heli's and boats....

The Bullitts are really nice running Thunderboats. You should have a blast with it.
i am building one for rodgers son, and mine at same time... talk about full shop with 2 builds and a 40%extra 260 in shop!!! i am sure we will have a blast... he bought me one for building his!! gotta say, NICE KIT JOE!!!! and THANKS TOM!!!

LOL, good thing you have a spare bedroom.... better hope no one comes to visit... might have to remove boats etc from couch!!!!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

parshallboatworks 11-03-2012 02:35 PM

:)Bottoms done on both boats... time for transom#2... then on to sealing.. the part i dont like so much.... be better with slow MAAS.. The plans say to mix up 2oz for sealing inside hull... boat# one i got half way before it was setting up... great for sealing JAE... not so much with thunderboat sponsons etc...:eek:allmost time for engine-driveline...<div>Rick</div>

joebahl 11-03-2012 02:44 PM

:)Bottoms done on both boats... time for transom#2... then on to sealing.. the part i dont like so much.... be better with slow MAAS.. The plans say to mix up 2oz for sealing inside hull... boat# one i got half way before it was setting up... great for sealing JAE... not so much with thunderboat sponsons etc...:eek:allmost time for engine-driveline...<div>Rick</div>
What do you guys use thats light to seal the insides of the bottoms of your boats ? joe

Serpents Den 11-03-2012 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Serpents Den

LOL, good thing you have a spare bedroom.... better hope no one comes to visit... might have to remove boats etc from couch!!!!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

yea I agree ;) my spare bedroom is supposed to be my workshop, but atm, there's no room to move around in there let alone set up a work bench lol

parshallboatworks 11-03-2012 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: joebahl

What do you guys use thats light to seal the insides of the bottoms of your boats ? joe

Hi Joe, I like MAAS epoxy FLAG(filleting,laminating,and gluing) with medium hardener... medium a little fast for bigger boats especially inside of sponsons etc.... i did the whole JAE.21 no problem tho... i learned to slap some on and scrape it around with a credit card.. thin coat=light... i would like to use slow on this project tho...(zippkits bullitt thunderboat...26ccgasser) i ordered mine (MAAS)from lighthouse supply i think,as its close in N.Y....

joebahl 11-03-2012 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Rick i will search for the site ,my plane is very light because its electrict and i glassed the bottom but i still need to put something inside in case of a leak. joe

Blackout 11-03-2012 04:36 PM

I added some pictures on our club website.... Our website is rough for now, but better than nothing. ;)

http://www.stonypond.net