RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Central NEW YORK boaters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/9801940-central-new-york-boaters.html)

advanced builder 04-25-2012 10:12 AM

RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

ORIGINAL: engineman351

I stole most of this off an e-airplane site:
The ''C'' rating tells you how much current it is safe to draw from your battery. It's expressed in terms of the capacity C.

So a 1200mAh 10C battery is good for 12A (10 x 1200mA/1000) and the same size 12C battery would be good for 14.4A (12 x 1200mA/1000). An example: One battery is 900mAh and 10C so it is good for a 9A draw. A second battery is a bit smaller at 850mAh but higher rated at 12C so it's good for a 10.2A draw. You can plug in the numbers for whatever pack you are using to see how many amps you can potentially draw.

The C rating doesn't mean your motor will go faster or run for longer. It just means that if you ever want to use more current, by using the battery with a different motor or a bigger prop, the 12C battery will allow more than the 10C version.

Furthermore most RC’ers treat the ‘C’ rating as a ‘burst’ or max amp draw situation…but to know how close you are actually getting to the ‘burst’ level, you need some form of a ‘Watt Meter’ to really understand what is happening in your set-up. My rule of thumb is: The higher the ‘C’ rating the less chance there is of exceeding the battery’s capacity to give up current and not hurt your battery.
Anyway...my 2 cents (again!!) Roger
So {50 x 2200/1000} 11.0A draw or am I off. I told my LHS what I was going to use them for. As I didn't see were the brown wire on the starter went. I will put the stuff together and let you do the final wiring. I'm not totally sure about my wiring skills. I will get it close. I will make the box large enough for all lips sizes.

Blackout 04-25-2012 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

The ''C'' rating tells you how much current it is safe to draw from your battery. It's expressed in terms of the capacity C.

So a 1200mAh 10C battery is good for 12A (10 x 1200mA/1000) and the same size 12C battery would be good for 14.4A (12 x 1200mA/1000). An example: One battery is 900mAh and 10C so it is good for a 9A draw. A second battery is a bit smaller at 850mAh but higher rated at 12C so it's good for a 10.2A draw. You can plug in the numbers for whatever pack you are using to see how many amps you can potentially draw.

The C rating doesn't mean your motor will go faster or run for longer. It just means that if you ever want to use more current, by using the battery with a different motor or a bigger prop, the 12C battery will allow more than the 10C version.

Furthermore most RC’ers treat the ‘C’ rating as a ‘burst’ or max amp draw situation…but to know how close you are actually getting to the ‘burst’ level, you need some form of a ‘Watt Meter’ to really understand what is happening in your set-up. My rule of thumb is: The higher the ‘C’ rating the less chance there is of exceeding the battery’s capacity to give up current and not hurt your battery.
So {50 x 2200/1000} 11.0A draw or am I off. I told my LHS what I was going to use them for. As I didn't see were the brown wire on the starter went. I will put the stuff together and let you do the final wiring. I'm not totally sure about my wiring skills. I will get it close. I will make the box large enough for all lips sizes.
That's fine. Brown wire is the positive, or negative if you are starting an outboard. ;)

Blackout 04-25-2012 10:31 AM

Speaking of fast electrics... [X(] Here is a picture from Jim's Dock. To see it, you may need to be logged in to Jim's....

http://www.jrcbd.com/PhotoPost/data/...m/DSC09687.JPG

I guess we need a fire extinguisher handy with FE boats....

Billk44 04-25-2012 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Speaking of fast electrics... [X(] Here is a picture from Jim's Dock. To see it, you may need to be logged in to Jim's....

http://www.jrcbd.com/PhotoPost/data/...m/DSC09687.JPG

I guess we need a fire extinguisher handy with FE boats....
I think a Type IV is needed for LiPo's and Roger can probably clarify. A few years back we had some killer FEs in from Ohio and Canada. They were S and T riggers. An 8s rigger caught fire sitting on the stand with the batteries disconnected. I could not believe how fast the flames went from 1' to 6' or 7'. Don't use puffed packs or you are asking for trouble.

Blackout 04-25-2012 11:27 AM

You are good for 110 amps, 50 x 2.2 ah.

I am good for 100 amps, 25 x 4.0 ah.

The Dynatron starter is rated for 100 amps, so you are good to go.

Roger, Good info!! Thanks!

Joe Petro 04-25-2012 01:07 PM

I meant Pete in Elmira.

Yes, I will call you when we go there. We will be running our 72 inch vee soon, and I need a large area...

Joe

BULLITTGT 04-25-2012 01:26 PM

72 inch V ..........u kiddin me? is this another one of your mega machines or will this reach production someday?
tell me its a turbine please..........i gotta see this!

Joe Petro 04-25-2012 04:41 PM

Turbine like styling...

Joe

advanced builder 04-26-2012 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

Turbine like styling...

Joe
Is the new hull in production. We could call it the Sleazy Vee :D Has the bottom angle been changed ?
Cheezy Vee sounds better. got the double ee
Pee Vee after Petro
Wee Vee after Wee Wee Tango

Blackout 04-26-2012 07:23 AM

If all goes well, I'll be running my .12 Zippkit rigger for the first time this Sunday afternoon! :)

Let me know if anyone else wants to run on Sunday afternoon.

advanced builder 04-26-2012 07:52 AM

Rigger Sunday will be a good one.12:00 12:30 is fine for me. My .12 carb has the mods that Glenn mentions Low speed needle is flush with the carbs inside wall. And the brass carb pipe modified. Looking at a few of my older carbs the brass fuel pipe cuts are all facing down. My .12 NR isn't starting. Looks like no compression. The .18 Go has no waterlines as that water jacket is very heavy and big. I added the .12 NR air fin-ed head. Will it over heat !!!!! Bob .18 needs water. we found that one out. I'll need to do some tub cutting to get the 6 oz tank inside.

Blackout 04-26-2012 08:42 AM

Rigger Sunday will be a good one.12:00 12:30 is fine for me. My .12 carb has the mods that Glenn mentions Low speed needle is flush with the carbs inside wall. And the brass carb pipe modified. Looking at a few of my older carbs the brass fuel pipe cuts are all facing down. My .12 NR isn't starting. Looks like no compression. The .18 Go has no waterlines as that water jacket is very heavy and big. I added the .12 NR air fin-ed head. Will it over heat !!!!! Bob .18 needs water. we found that one out. I'll need to do some tub cutting to get the 6 oz tank inside.
Sunday at 12:30 sounds good.

Reading about carb mods, it sounds like cutting the spray bar at 90 degrees gives better fuel atomization.

Yes, Bob's .18 needs full water. Kinda funny how some need water, some don't.... My air cooled head should work o.k. I didn't want to run water lines; .12 riggers are so small.

I hope to bench run the .12 motor in Saturday night using a heat gun to warm the head before starting. There is allot of pinch, which seems to be the norm for these small engines.

Do you have the flex 6oz. slant tank? Mine fit in fine, just need to squeeze the tank. Friction should keep this tank in, but it does stick up 1/4". No big deal since I'm not running a cowl. I like to go in the water early, so 6oz was needed.

Billk44 04-26-2012 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Sunday at 12:30 sounds good.

Reading about carb mods, it sounds like cutting the spray bar at 90 degrees gives better fuel atomization.

Yes, Bob's .18 needs full water. Kinda funny how some need water, some don't.... My air cooled head should work o.k. I didn't want to run water lines; .12 riggers are so small.

I hope to bench run the .12 motor in Saturday night using a heat gun to warm the head before starting. There is allot of pinch, which seems to be the norm for these small engines.

Do you have the flex 6oz. slant tank? Mine fit in fine, just need to squeeze the tank. Friction should keep this tank in, but it does stick up 1/4''. No big deal since I'm not running a cowl. I like to go in the water early, so 6oz was needed.

The flex tanks can be shaped nicely using a heat gun to make them fit. Too bad these can't be used for gas.

advanced builder 04-26-2012 04:28 PM

We will have a .45 rigger for testing. I ordered a headbutton on the .45 CMB ,The glowplug thread is NOT right. I can swap out my spare for parts. Do they sell another kind of plug bigger thread???? It's a turbo head, from Stu I'll call him tomorrow. Got me scratching my head on this one. I went to tighten the coupler and added my piston-stop. No good. way off.

c.k.y. 04-26-2012 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

We will have a .45 rigger for testing. I ordered a headbutton on the .45 CMB ,The glowplug thread is NOT right. I can swap out my spare for parts. Do they sell another kind of plug bigger thread???? It's a turbo head, from Stu I'll call him tomorrow. Got me scratching my head on this one. I went to tighten the coupler and added my piston-stop. No good. way off.
Hi advanced builder
<span>I hope</span> <span class="hps">to use</span> <span class="hps">the</span> <span class="hps">translation</span> <span class="hps">function</span> <span class="hps">to</span> <span class="hps">understand what you say http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ssed_smile.gif
<span><span>Modified</span> turbo head ?
<span>I have</span> <span class="hps">an old photograph</span> <span class="hps">taken</span> <span class="hps">in</span> <span class="hps">the</span> <span class="hps">1990s</span> <span class="hps">Australia</span> <span class="hps">to</span> <span class="hps">the World Championships.....</span></span></span>

Blackout 04-27-2012 06:22 AM

Not sure on the plug??? Strange....

The .45 rigger should break some Stony Pond records! Bring your stop watch! :D

Blackout 04-27-2012 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: c.k.y.

Hi advanced builder
<span>I hope</span> <span class=''hps''>to use</span> <span class=''hps''>the</span> <span class=''hps''>translation</span> <span class=''hps''>function</span> <span class=''hps''>to</span> <span class=''hps''>understand what you say [img][/img]
<span>I have</span> <span class=''hps''>an old photograph</span> <span class=''hps''>taken</span> <span class=''hps''>in</span> <span class=''hps''>the</span> <span class=''hps''>1990s</span> <span class=''hps''>Australia</span> <span class=''hps''>to</span> <span class=''hps''>the World Championships.....</span></span></span>
Always good to see the old pictures! Thanks for sharing! :)

advanced builder 04-27-2012 06:35 AM

c.k.y. , Stu Barr is the CMB dealer over here. I ordered a .45 CMB headbutton and the darn thing has the wrong glow plug treads It was to be a turbo head ,looks like any normal button. Who's that with you ?
I've never been to a world championship event. Must be a big race ,guys coming from all over the world .
Thanks for reply
Neil

advanced builder 04-27-2012 06:45 AM

ORIGINAL: c.k.y.

Hi advanced builder
<span>I hope</span> <span class=''hps''>to use</span> <span class=''hps''>the</span> <span class=''hps''>translation</span> <span class=''hps''>function</span> <span class=''hps''>to</span> <span class=''hps''>understand what you say [img][/img]
<span>I have</span> <span class=''hps''>an old photograph</span> <span class=''hps''>taken</span> <span class=''hps''>in</span> <span class=''hps''>the</span> <span class=''hps''>1990s</span> <span class=''hps''>Australia</span> <span class=''hps''>to</span> <span class=''hps''>the World Championships.....</span></span></span>
That's one cool old hull. I like the engine mount. What size engine.

engineman351 04-27-2012 07:41 AM

I always like seeing older hulls from Europe and Asia. The monos alway look like thay are designed to run in rough water...and look like they could 'roll over' and keep on going. Sort of like the current 'Eco' hulls raced in Europe currently. The motor mount in c.k.y.'s pic is similar to a the Solinger mounts we use on our small riggers. Simple and effective. Everything doesn't have to be anodized and cost $65 to work. Roger

Blackout 04-27-2012 09:22 AM

Simple and effective. Everything doesn't have to be anodized and cost $65 to work. Roger

Kinda like my $3.50 JAE 21 strut. :)

http://www.vpmcobras.com/images/strut2.jpg

advanced builder 04-27-2012 04:14 PM

Your water tight linkage is a good price as well.Craig I kinda did the same on the .45 linkage. A piece of water line to seal .I'm adding the pipe mount and still need to add the water line. ALSO using that 3 rd channel. I better read up. Bill I have the same 3rd channel needle you have. Which line goes to the carb top or bottom? I think top but need to double CK

Billk44 04-28-2012 04:17 AM

Your water tight linkage is a good price as well.Craig I kinda did the same on the .45 linkage. A piece of water line to seal .I'm adding the pipe mount and still need to add the water line. ALSO using that 3 rd channel. I better read up. Bill I have the same 3rd channel needle you have. Which line goes to the carb top or bottom? I think top but need to double CK
On a Ferrette type needle base, the top goes to the carb. The flow goes past the leading edge of the needle (bottom to top). Not sure how you are going to get the initial setting. If using a flow meter make sure it goes through the remote needle. The needle allows for less than a 1/4 turn throw in either direction so you have to be close but it really stops you from shooting yourself in the foot. It is really slick how remotely changing the needle will affect engine performance.

advanced builder 04-28-2012 05:14 AM

Looks like another freeze last night. 34 right now but sunny. We will learn on the fly. Ill bring my flow meter. I may try to start the engine today. And get a reading on the flow meter. Craig my starter parts are here and the box is sealed. I did do some wiring That 2 nd black wire has got me stumped.

c.k.y. 04-28-2012 05:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)

c.k.y. , Stu Barr is the CMB dealer over here. I ordered a .45 CMB headbutton and the darn thing has the wrong glow plug treads It was to be a turbo head ,looks like any normal button. Who's that with you ?
I've never been to a world championship event. Must be a big race ,guys coming from all over the world .
Thanks for reply
Neil
Hi Neil
<span>I'm sorry I</span> <span class="hps">translation errorshttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/frown.gif
<span>In the photo</span> <span class="hps">on the left</span> <span class="hps">is</span> <span class="hps">my right</span> <span class="hps">is my</span> <span class="hps">British friends.
<span>The</span><span class="hps">boat</span> <span class="hps">using older</span> <span class="hps">CMB-90/15c.c</span><span>.(</span> <span class="hps atn">engine </span><span class="hps">mounts</span> <span class="hps">the</span> <span class="hps">United Kingdom</span> <span class="hps">making</span><span>,</span> <span class="hps">material is</span> <span class="hps">aluminum alloy</span><span>)
<span>I like</span> <span class="hps">to</span> <span class="hps">make</span> <span class="hps">different types of</span> <span class="hps">boat</span>
<span>I also have a</span> <span class="hps">JAE</span><span>-21</span> <span class="hps">but</span> <span class="hps">did not have time</span> <span class="hps">to</span> <span class="hps">finish it
<span>In</span> <span class="hps">1976</span> <span class="hps">and produces (CANARD HYDRO)some</span> <span class="hps">photos
CKY</span></span></span></span></span>