Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Where did the Stick planes go?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Where did the Stick planes go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Where did the Stick planes go?

Here are some plans for a stick.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Us53591.pdf (1.26 MB, 192 views)
Old 01-21-2012, 08:49 AM
ratshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8KCAB I am glad you snagged the Little Stik. There was another one on Ebay but the seller wanted $150 for it.

Jim Purchu thanks for the Sweet Stik file. I copied it to a disc and took it to Staples so they could run off a plan for me. One snag was that they can only do a 36"x48" sized paper. That made the wingspan only about 46". Perfect for a little stik.I am going to cut the plan up and do the fuse and wing panels seperately. I will have them scan it and enlarge it by 25% and I should end up with a wing that is about 58". That a little bigger than the original sweet stik and just about a match for the GP Big Stik 40.

bbbairI liked the Gold Finch. Thats a nice update to the conventional Stik series.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:53 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sticks will live forever in part because they are easy to build, maintain and they fly well. And, there are no snobbish rules as shown by the tree trunk stick.

I'm working up a build of what I'd call a Sport Stick, simply because it will use a tapered sport wing mid mounted (got NIB balsa covered foam cored wings for $5). The fuselage will get inverted to get the stab off the ground. It will be square and simple, with the goal of being simple and flying well rather than good looks. If it can be given some lipstick, that'll be ok too.

Oh... it will be sized to the Ultra Stick 1.20 and will be powered by a 35cc gas.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:44 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have had 2 sticks. A.60 size and a .40 size that I converted to a twin. Did not have the twin very long, but it sure was fun. . Had the .60 size for about a year or 2. Flew it into a garbage dumpster on a dead stick. (I swear I saw it jump out from hideing and smack my plane)Still got the plans for it. Loved it.
I have unused Poulan 42cc that is begging me to convert. I think the Ultra Stick 1.20 might be a bit small for that motor. Any suggestions on how big a wing would be appropiate?
I would have to make a 2 piece wing for storage and transport. There I completly draw a blank on what to use for a joiner tube.
These days I only scratch build.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 PM
AA5BY

Hello to Webster, Tx. Wonder where it is?

To the question. My situation is I bought a NIB set of balsa covered foam cored wings a couple years back for $5 and my boards are empty. They are tapered and were for a Staudacker I think and are around 1230 inches or about the same as the Ultra Stick 1.20 area.

I've got an Ultra Stick Lite 1.20 to measure from and part of the deal is that whatever I put in my hanger, has to ride in the back of my pickup aft of the tool box.... so I'm limited to about the total length of the USL, which is 65" long.

My plan is to build the fuselage upside down or as one would build a low wing stick so as to get the stab higher off the ground as I often drag the elevator in a sharp pull up on the USL.

I've been told that my 35cc is the old 50cc so I don't think you would be overpowered though with its weight, you might wish to shorten up the firewall. My 35cc weighs about the same as the Zenoah G-20 in the USL.

I was fortunate that in my junk was a 1.5 in aluminum tube suitable for a joiner tube with the only constraint that the wings are designed for a fuselage taper.

As indicated, mid tapered wings will make the stick a Sport Stick.

The issue I'm working on is superimposing the wing location fore and aft.... but think I'm about there with the help of some software in the aerodynamics forum.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 PM
flyingagin

Midway between Houston and Galveston.
I have a PT Cruiser so it gets tight fast. Intend to make a break down roof top box to transport birds. Had one a long time ago, painted "Grandma R.I.P. on it". Sure was funny the looks I got.
I found specs for the Ultra Stick 1.20 A.R.F. so I think just a little bigger. 1.5 in aluminum tube. hmmm I have bookmarks for several suppliers of tubes but had no qlue what size to use.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:41 PM
brickwoodward

Hi flyingagin!!! what would it take to bribe, borrow, steal, rent, or otherwise procure those plans for a while???

i'll even pay for a pic of the rib profile and measurements of the whole plane?????

whatever it takes!!!!!!

thanks, bill
Old 02-07-2012, 06:53 PM
flyingagin

ORIGINAL: brickwoodward

Hi flyingagin!!! what would it take to bribe, borrow, steal, rent, or otherwise procure those plans for a while???

i'll even pay for a pic of the rib profile and measurements of the whole plane?????

whatever it takes!!!!!!

thanks, bill
They are 2 sheets. I know I found the plans for a .40 in .pdf. Let me look for a few Also I will see if I can ssan the rib pattern for you. Get back to you in a bit

Old 02-07-2012, 07:35 PM
flyingagin

whatever it takes!!!!!!

thanks, bill
I was able to scan the rib pattern part of my plans. Had to do it at an angle to fit on the scanner bed
I will pm the ,pdfs to you. Also check out these 2 links
this one has them as .dwg that I could not open not sure what size power
http://www.svensons.com/airplanes/?pd=ClasicUglyStick
And then there is this on for the .40 size
http://*****************.com/about36.html
I am pretty sure I can I could take my plans some weres and get them scanned or copied.

pm sent
Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 PM
flyingagin

Well aint that just special. R.CU. just filtered the last link.I quess I am A BAD BOY
Ok brickwoodwardI will pm it to you
Old 02-07-2012, 07:53 PM
AA5BY

I don't think a 1.5" tube is needed... most of 1.20 size tubes are 3/4-1". The Staudacker was likely a 50cc size plane, hence the larger tube.

One of my problems is going to be weight. Foam cored wings are heavier. My USL is a hair under 10lbs and the first version of the Ultra Stick 1.20 was 12.5 lbs. My goal is to not go over 14 lbs for 26 oz of loading. If I weren't putting these wings in play, I'd certainly use a constant chord wing.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:58 PM
flyingagin

Took a second look and the plans are just 1 sheet
Old 02-07-2012, 08:09 PM
flyingagin

AA5BY
Is there wall size to look for and a hardness.?
I found sources for carbon fibre tube (spendy) still looking for aluminum tubes.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:06 AM
AA5BY

I've bought 3/4" replacement tubes at Lowes Home Center and from Horizon Hobby to replace a specific model's tube. I don't know where to buy cardboard or FG receivers to install in wing. My most recent build was a Spacewalker and it used a 1" aluminum tube and I'd think it would be adequate.

I should point out from the start that there is no expectation that a Sport Stick 35cc using the wings I have will be anywhere as nimble as the Ultra Stick Lite. Weight and wing form differences dictate otherwise. Going mid wing and getting rudder force centered better should however yield good aerobatics.

On my drawing, I'm allowing five inches of additional front end to adjust the firewall position for balance. 1.25 inches of that are needed ahead of the firewall to give the option of hanging a round cowl (part of the lipstick) on the nose (might use one from Horizon for the Seagull AT-6 120. Will use two elevator servos aft and I like bolt on stabs and Ohio Specialties tail wheels so there will be more weight aft than the USL has and there is no way I can build as light as the USL. That will mean tacking the firewall in but prepared to shorten it... but no problem.

I'm wanting flaps and think the wing can be easily modified for them. A sketch of the wing (not to scale) is on a build page.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/arlyn/30cc_ss.html
Old 02-08-2012, 07:27 AM
brickwoodward

hey guy, I sure do appriciate your help!!! I'll be more than happy to reimburse you for any and all expenses!!! I'm going now to check the pm box....

thanks again, bill Bless you!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 AM
brickwoodward

Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 AM
flyingagin

hey guy, I sure do appriciate your help!!! I'll be more than happy to reimburse you for any and all expenses!!! I'm going now to check the pm box....

thanks again, bill Bless you!!!
You are most welcome
let me know if I can be of further assistance
Plans are also available from rcmplans. This is what is left of RCM magazine. I used to order plans from RCM often. The plans service was bought by some one. I have not bought plans since rcm folded. I have heard that some patients may be needed now. to get plans from them but that they are honest folk.
I searched the site and got more stick plans than I ever heard of (that aint a bad thing)
http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...&dto=&x=21&y=5

And on this site there are 2 choices of sticks made from corroplast http://spadtothebone.com/
for a .40-.46 size plane http://spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm
and for gasser 30-45cc http://spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm

Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 AM
flyingagin

AA5BY
I found plans for a chainsaw motor size stick (30-45cc) http://spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm
I think it would be a good base to start from. I would use wood instead but the numbers look just about right to put myPoulan 42ccin. Man I cut a lot of oak fire wood with that engine. Heater had gone out during a cold winter, So I harvested a mini van and trailer load of oak every three weeks to keep my family warm. My body just cant do that no more, and to replace the bar and chain would be halve the cost to buy another saw. I don't need it no more living in an apartment in southern Texas. But no way would I part with the motor. We got memories (although I really can't say they are the best).
Hence the desire to convert the motor and but it in a plane.
Man I sure did digress. Sorry.
Back to the thread.
I found 3 sources for wing tubes and sleaves.
Carbon http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/categ...-for-standard/
Carbon http://www.cstsales.com/
and this one sells aluminum tubes http://www.tntlandinggear.com/
You also mentioned useing replacement parts for a tube.
Tower Hobbies sells a giant stick arf 80" span http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKJY0&P=0
In replacement parts they list the joiner tube http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKJY6&P=Z
13" long and 1.2 diameter
Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 AM
flyinjrc74
My Feedback: (157)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few of my Stik's! Great airplanes...
Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 AM
flyingagin

AA5BY
Watch out for the tube from Lowes, it may not be hard enough and you could end up with bent wings (pun intentional) I seem to remember something about needing T4 or so. Not real sure what that means. I have a peice of 3/4 aluminum tube from their and I can bend it with out to much effort. I got it to make a exhaust header out of. It bends, actually it kinks rather easlily. That is a whole nother story.

I looked at the pdf you posted. Looks neat, but that is a lot of wing taper. Watch out for tip stall and snap on approach. On anything I have designed and built I have never gone with a tip less than 75% of the root. Not meant to diss you work, just caution. It is an old rule of thumb.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:39 AM
AA5BY

Flyingagin... Yep, the Tower Giant Stick is a great way to go.

I'm committed to giving flight to these wings and they will provide a little different flavor. I'm currently flying an Ultra Stick Lite, and have a back up NIB if it should go down.

If you (or others) start a stick build... I'd be very interested in following it.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:39 AM
flyingagin

ORIGINAL: flyinjrc74

[/img]Users/flyinj/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/Sep 16, 2011/IMG_0290.JPG[img]
Can't get that to work

Old 02-08-2012, 08:49 AM
flyingagin

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

Flyingagin... Yep, the Tower Giant Stick is a great way to go.

I'm committed to giving flight to these wings and they will provide a little different flavor. I'm currently flying an Ultra Stick Lite, and have a back up NIB if it should go down.

If you (or others) start a stick build... I'd be very interested in following it.
Understand that. GO FOR IT. Post pics as you go
You did mention flaps. That would help on approach as the root should stall first. If your radio permits, a little crow (flaps down airlerons up) would really help, just keep some power on.
But you most likely are more expearnced than me
Now back to rattle canning my present build.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bundubasher

Hi Brick,
Sticks are making a come back, there are the traditional kits and a great number of ''modernized'' kits, but it is hard to improve on the original classic ''60's'' Stick.
I have a number of them and our club have a number flying.
All my Sticks are scratch built - all you really need is the template for the ribs.
Some of my ''not so standard Sticks'' include a 70 Four stroke powered one with interchangable wing - can make it a low or a high wing. I can also fit another fuse to the wing with a larger 90 two stroke for hot flying. Thus 4 plane combination in one. See yellow unfinished pics, now red Stick on pic

Another one (yellow Stick pic) has a 2m wingspan. I've build this one with a bigger wing (normal 1.7m) and it get pulled around with a 60 two stroke. It has another fuse for a 108 two stroke for towing gliders.

A third Stick is a proper stick Stick. This one has a composite fibre fuse casted from a tree in my garden that had to be chopped down. So this is now a Muttley theme Stick. The texture and shape of the tree trunk was copied and the Stick built around it. It is an excellent flier. Rumour has it that Muttley have already shot down the Red Baron....

Like you, I've flown Sticks a lot in the 70's then moved on to other planes and about 2 years ago rediscovered STICKS. I just love them.
Also included is a Stick a friend of mine built, I covered it with Solartex for him and spray painted it. Probably one of the nicer ones I've seen in a while... (Blue Stick)

Go for it, youwill enjoy your Stick - it is an antidote for the ARTF crap we are flooded with from the East.

Cheers

Bundu

coool stick, i like the casted one!!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:56 AM
AA5BY

Yes.... if the flaps lose vector force lift from prop blast and adequate air speed, its trouble. Will program a throttle minimum mix with crow mode and it usually requires an elevator pitch correction as well.

Yes on the rule... I've an AT-6 that doesn't observe the rule and it has no flaps... and I've paid the price once... fortunately the repair was fairly minor. But, I've others that break the rule but most of them have more aft taper as does this set of wings.

I enjoy a project on the boards but putting an arf together is fun... but doesn't last long enough and in short order one has too many in the hanger.

Will post progress and results of the effort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.