Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:47 PM
stu48

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I crazy?

I'm not new to RC planes. I had a spell in the late 70's and again in the late 80's early 90's. Recently I decided to get back into the hobby. I like to design and build but I really enjoyed the camaraderie at the field. There were a lot of days when no one flew because of high winds but we enjoyed sitting around shooting the bull.

This late winter I first I bought RF7 Interlink Elite and found the Tx sticks to be very loose and sloppy. I bought a Futaba T8FGS and finally got it linked to RF7. I find the standard trainers in RF 1) boring & 2) not the easiest to fly. After editing the Nexstar in RF to include a 4C engine, differential aileron throw, getting rid of the anti-stall and air brake add-ons, increasing control surface throws, and adding dual rates, I finally was able to fly it well in RF and do touch and goes in various wind conditions without a lot of trouble. Others I find to be too fast, too self correcting, or too quick BUT ...

I find flying larger planes in RF a lot easier. Flying almost any 3d plane on low rates and mid-throttle is a piece of cake. I can fly the planes and land in head winds, crosswinds, and tailwinds with little difficulty. Some have better stall characteristics than others. I'm and older person (66) and find the larger planes easier to see, easier to control, and being a bit of a control freak, they do what I want them to do and have the power to fly out of a bad spot.

My dilemma is that my brain says stay small and lose small. My heart says go bigger and enjoy it. I don't need to fly at super sonic speeds and I'll work myself up to stunts. What opinions can I get from this group?

Stu48
Fredericksburg VA
Old 04-08-2014, 03:08 PM
krzy4rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoy and fly both sizes!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:43 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bigger flies better. The costs may be higher, but so are the rewards.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:24 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Well said!

Bob
Old 04-09-2014, 09:19 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some of the smaller fast stuff requires your full attention too.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:47 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Bigger planes are harder to lose orientation of, easier to take off and land, they look slower relative to the actual speed they are flying, and aren't affected by the wind so much. Therefore, they crash less. I'd say start in the .60-.90 glow engine size range for getting back into the hobby, then move up from there.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:42 AM
TomCrump

I like this, myself. Not too big. Not too small. http://www.amr-rc.com/index.php?path...enu=&langue=en
Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by TomCrump

Up to a point. I have one "big" (78" Extra w/ OS BGX-1) airplane left, but its going to the swap shop next month.

I got into electrics a few months back, and the… convenience… of it, along with the smaller planes being so much less of a hassle to deal with, has re-invigorated my interest in the hobby… because I was about burned out.

Yes, the bigger airplanes "fly better", but some of these electric models are no slouch either. The little .25 size foamies; or just about ANY foamie, for that matter… yeah, they're pretty much pigs. But I have a couple of 52" balsa ARFs that fly every bit as precise as a glow or gas bird… and with a lot less hassle.

I'm in my 60s now; the smaller planes, without the hassles of fuel, tuning, etc., sure do make the hobby thing more enjoyable these days.

To each his own, I suppose...

Old 04-15-2014, 03:51 AM
sensei

Originally Posted by LSP972
Up to a point. I have one "big" (78" Extra w/ OS BGX-1) airplane left, but its going to the swap shop next month.

I got into electrics a few months back, and the… convenience… of it, along with the smaller planes being so much less of a hassle to deal with, has re-invigorated my interest in the hobby… because I was about burned out.

Yes, the bigger airplanes "fly better", but some of these electric models are no slouch either. The little .25 size foamies; or just about ANY foamie, for that matter… yeah, they're pretty much pigs. But I have a couple of 52" balsa ARFs that fly every bit as precise as a glow or gas bird… and with a lot less hassle.

I'm in my 60s now; the smaller planes, without the hassles of fuel, tuning, etc., sure do make the hobby thing more enjoyable these days.

To each his own, I suppose...

You have stated up to a point in reference to "Bigger flies better". Although small electric foam airplanes are fun to fly and great to toss in the car for a quick trip to the field and back home again, they are also just throw away airplanes and do not fly anything remotely close to a giant scale airplane, you have also referred your 78" span airplane as a big airplane, and I am guessing this is your measuring tool between the large and small, but the truth is this, a 78" span airplane is still a little airplane with little airplane flying characteristics and hardly a good comparison of flight to a true giant scale. Just saying.

Bob
Old 04-15-2014, 04:30 AM
TomCrump

I was thinking the same thing, Bob.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:31 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

He's talking about a 78 inch Extra, which is probably 50cc size. That's a fairly large model with good flying characteristics. A 78 inch Cub isn't big at all though, so it's all relative as to what plane you're talking about.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:17 AM
sensei

A 78" Extra is a little airplane, it doesn't even meet the IMAA minimum of 80". airplanes this size still fly like little airplanes.

Bob
Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 AM
bbbair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you 'BUY' your first BIG model - the costs are minimal and the benefits are enormous.

Let's do a comparison;
-Gas is cheaper than Nitro.
-Gas is cheaper than BIG Batteries and the Chargers.
-The Servos are more expensive - but they last longer.
-The Engines are more expensive - but they last longer.
-The Radios are the same.
-Tuning a Nitro engine can be a PAIN!
-Tuning a gas engine is EASY!
-Cleaning a Nitro plane can be a PAIN!
-Cleanng a Gas plane is EASY!

SPACE - it the big problem.
Space to store a big plane and the ease of transport to the field. (these are little problems)
You can REDUCE this problem by keeping to 30cc sized aircraft.

At the end of this chatter -
Life is short!
Enjoy it while you can!
Get the Plane that YOU WANT!
and
NO! You are NOT crazy!

Last edited by bbbair; 04-15-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:15 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by sensei
but the truth is this, a 78" span airplane is still a little airplane with little airplane flying characteristics and hardly a good comparison of flight to a true giant scale. Just saying.

Bob
The truth is what we make it. Had you paid a bit more attention to my post, you would have seen the parentheses around the word big. I am very familiar with "giant scale" aircraft and have flown them. You and Tom missed my point entirely.

Yes, the bigger ones "fly better", in terms of stability, etc. But that is only part of the equation. The rest of the "giant scale" experience (hassles in transport/set up/etc.) is what I want to avoid. I am, however, entertained weekly by the scale guys at my field… who spend a lot of time futzing around with retracts, air lines, wing struts, getting engines to sync on the big twins, etc., etc.; and all for one or two flights at most. Hey, that's their thing, and they enjoy it. But I went that route (spending more time setting up/wrenching than flying) on helicopters many moons ago. Now, I just want to fly and socialize.

That's what I meant by "up to a point"… there is a point of diminishing returns on these big aircraft, when they become more work than they are "worth"… to some.

Read my post again… I stated that the bigger models "fly better", because they of course do. But its all relative.

Sorry to have annoyed you...

Old 04-16-2014, 03:27 AM
sensei

My reply you quoted was in reply to Jester and I still stand by the fact that a 78" wingspan airplane is still a little airplane, just my opinion, no annoyance at all, as you already stated. To each his own...

Bob
Old 04-17-2014, 10:58 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

let also remember that "BIG" does NOT mean "Complicated"
to the OP, no, you're not crazy. (addicted maybe I am too! )
larger sized airframes DO fly better, as you've probably figured out.
LSP makes a good point that larger airplanes require more space to store and transport, but they DO NOT NEED to be more complicated,
and the extra cost of a bigger airplane is not necessarily linear. (an airplane twice as big doesn't have to cost twice as much)
my opinion: let your heart teach your brain something new! there are plenty of inexpensive big airplanes, and if they are easier for you to see and easier for you to control, then you won't need to replace or repair them nearly as often.
and since you enjoy building, (read repairing ) and the camaraderie at the field, you're in a win, win, WIN position.

I say GO FOR IT (and yes, 78" span is a little airplane. )

I should point out one item LSP alluded to which should be emphasized... that smallish / electric / foamies invigorated his interest.
whatever you should find that makes you happy, or that renews your interest, DO it!
RC is something that you've obviously got an interest in... so whatever you need to do to keep that interest going, do it!

Last edited by AMA 74894; 04-17-2014 at 11:04 AM.