Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

The Sig Kobra Story

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

The Sig Kobra Story

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 06:42 AM
CAM2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Sig Kobra Story

Summer 1983-
I built this Sig Kobra back in 1983 while stationed the Cherry Point, NC. The motor was an OS FSR .25. The wings were covered in Monokote and I silkspan/painted the fuselage. The first flight day arrives and while fueling the plane I must have gotten the fuel tank install wrong as the fuel starts leaking out the bottom of the plane! With the entire inside filled up with fuel I removed the wing and soak up as much fuel as I can, removed all radio equipment and use anything I can think of to remove the fuel from the fuel soaked balsa (I didn’t fuel proof). I was deployed a few days later, and the plane remained grounded. The raw fuel soaking though the balsa and into the paint destroyed the finish on the outside of the fuselage. I stripped the paint, but began to loose interest in the plane.

Spring 2005-
It’s amazing I still had this plane up the rafters though all the moves and different states I lived since my Marine Corps days. My wife and I settled back here in New York five years ago. Last week I looked up and see the little Kobra and started thinking what would it take to get this thing flying after 22 years? The wing and tail feathers were prefect, The fuse needed some work. The paint was really hurting so I decided to just monokote the fuse the best of could (not one of my favorite things to do in this hobby) Power is a very well broken in K&B 28, runs great.

Flight day arrives (again) this time I have my act together. Take-off was prefect, plenty of power, This little plane can really move out, and on high rates rolls like its on a string, It reminds me of the A-4 giving the Tomcat pilots a fit in the movie Topgun. Landing is a breeze controlling the rate of descent with the throttle. Once down, It really sticks( my field is grass, its pretty rough)

If I was not so impatient, I really wanted to shoehorn a OS 40FP into this plane I have on hand, but for now I just going to enjoy it for what it is, a nice sport plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26888.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	275836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72522.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	275837  
Old 05-24-2005, 06:51 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: The Sig Kobra Story

It's amazing how patient planes can be. I bought a Kobra kit recently. I'm thinking of using a .36 in it.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

One little bit of info on the Kobra... it was the first kit plane that I ever flew that would snap roll out of a tight loop. Don't kid yourself on this little bird.. she will bite you if you try the low and slow or crank it and yank it methods. It actually flies almost exactly like a miniature Kouger. As I recall, we cut down the elevator throws so we would not be able to induce the snap at high speeds and high angles of attack. Just thought you might like to know.. before the "what happened???" Happens....

Dan
aka deadstik
Old 06-02-2005, 04:24 PM
nsjames

I had 3 of these, powered with Enya 30 SS motors. Good flying, but apt to tip stall if you try to keep it in a level glide path.