Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Digital Trims?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Digital Trims?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Balsacutter
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Trims?

I'm about to spring for a decent computer radio to replace all my el-cheapo 4-channel units. But all the new radios seem to feature digital trims, instead of the old "analog" levers I'm used to.

It seems like these would be harder to use in-flight compared to the old analog levers. I'm thinking about experience with push-button volume controls vs old-fashioned knobs, and picturing trying to get a new plane trimmed out before it becomes a lawn dart.

Does anyone like the new new digital clickers? Is this not really a problem?

- Norm
Old 03-29-2006, 03:01 PM
tuwood

Default RE: Digital Trims?

I have a 4 channel that I use with my electric's that has the regular manual trims & I have a Futaba 7C with digital's that I use on my glow planes & I personally like the digitals a lot better.
with the digital I can program the sensitivity of the trim so that I can really tweak it in versus on my old one i always seem to need to be in between two of the clicks to get it right. I also like the fact that I never have to retrim my plane becuase you can't bump them out of whack.
Every flight on my electric is pretty much a trim flight because they're always off.

One disadvantage I could think of on the digitals is if you have to move the trim a lot. For example if you take off and your elevator is way out of whack then your bumping the digital for a while to get it where it needs to be where you could just slide the manual one way over.

It probably comes down to personal preference.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:23 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

I love the way JR does their digital trims with the "3+1" setup where the flight surfaces are digital and the throttle is analog. I think once you try it you'll realize just how nice digital trims really are.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:30 PM
CRFlyer

I have used both the digital and the analog trims, and in my book, the analog are hands down the better system. If you look around, you can still find some radios with analog trim's. I believe the JR9303 has analog trims.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Dr1Driver

My Hitec Flash 4 has digital trims and they're no easier or harder to use than analog. You hold the TX in your line of sight to find the trim lever without losing the plane in either case. I've found the digital trims move pretty quickly. No problems there. A big + for digitals is they can't be accidentally bumped and changed without your knowledge.

Dr.1
Old 03-29-2006, 09:22 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Tuwood, I have the 7c also. How do you adjust the sensitivity of the trim?
Thanks, MikeB
Old 03-29-2006, 09:44 PM
tuwood

ORIGINAL: WMB

Tuwood, I have the 7c also. How do you adjust the sensitivity of the trim?
Thanks, MikeB
rather than me trying to explain it, here's a picture of page 39 of the manual.

The default is 4 units (whatever the heck a unit is)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35248.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	435563  
Old 03-29-2006, 10:35 PM
b17flyer
My Feedback: (32)

Hold the radio up to find the trims?....!!!!

That is just scary. When i see that i wont't even fly next to someone if they do that.
I will pull out my camcorder when he flys though
Old 03-29-2006, 11:58 PM
WMB

Tuwood, I found it in my manual. The radio was so easy to setup for everything else, I didn't bother to look at the manual. Good info there.
Thanks! MikeB
Old 03-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Dr1Driver

b17flyer > ignored.

Dr.1
Old 03-30-2006, 04:08 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

IMHO once you use the digital you wont go back. I find them much easier to use. Plus the safety of not getting the trims bumped. Also if you fly several planes on the same radio. When you switch planes the trims are set. I use a 6 channel computer radio to buddy box with. I also fly one plane from this radio. it's a pain to retrim every time.

David
Old 03-31-2006, 04:20 PM
Smooth Spanky

I agree with daveopam. I had the exact same concern when I bought my Futaba 9C a year ago...going from analog to digital trims. Trust me, you'll love it. You won't have to worry about moving the trim tabs while transporting your radio, because everything's programmed in. Also, if you fly more than one plane on the Tx, you'll see the value of that.

I haven't found an issue with sensitivity at all. The tabs on my radio are slightly smaller than what I was used to, but I was tought to know the radio COLD without having to look down at the controls BEFORE you ever take a plane up.

Good luck
Old 04-04-2006, 12:53 AM
johnc1go
My Feedback: (9)

Digital Trims for all the reasons mentioned above. If you're going to use the transmitter to fly more than one airplane, then it only makes sense to have the trim settings in memory along with your rate settings, expo, and all the other cool stuff computer radios can do.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Balsacutter

I'm about to spring for a decent computer radio to replace all my el-cheapo 4-channel units. But all the new radios seem to feature digital trims, instead of the old "analog" levers I'm used to.

It seems like these would be harder to use in-flight compared to the old analog levers. I'm thinking about experience with push-button volume controls vs old-fashioned knobs, and picturing trying to get a new plane trimmed out before it becomes a lawn dart.

Does anyone like the new new digital clickers? Is this not really a problem?

- Norm
I don't care for the digital trims at all. When I sprung for a new radio (2 years ago) I got a Polk's Tracker II radio (they now have a Tracker III with additional features). I have not had one bit of trouble with the radio and it works on ANY channel with ANY shift receiver. The new ones run about $180 - $200. http://www.polkshobby.com/
Old 04-13-2006, 05:24 AM
matt13

I had the same feelings about digital trims a few years back when I got my first JR set with them. But once you fly a bit with them they become second nature to the point that you will not notice that they are digital. I first had the JR 3+1 with the analog on the throttle. I thought this was the only way to go until my last upgrade to the JR9X which is all digital. After a while you just don't notice and in my view I would never go back. The memory of the last trim positions when the radio was turned off is just brilliant, and they are just as fast to use than analog if you buy a well designed radio. Matt
Old 04-13-2006, 10:57 PM
P-40 DRIVER

You can still buy analog 6 chanel radios without digital trims or digital anything else for that matter but why would you want to for all the reasons listed previous. I made the mistake of not getting digital trims on my last radio and I have have been regretting it ever since. If you ever plan to run more than one plane off your radio, they are a must.