Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

help with plane decission

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

help with plane decission

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 08:34 AM
farminred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with plane decission

Hello I am a rapidly progessing pilot who is currently flying a Sig four star 120 wit a webra 1.20. My goal is to move into the 3D world with larger aircraft. I am looking for recomendations from some one other than A salesman. I am not saying that I am ready for the 40% ships but I feel that I am ready for the next step from where I am at. I am a big fan of the larger planes. I feel that they fly much better than a 60 size or smaller ship. any advice would be great. I will be looking for an ARF due to I have a 12 week old baby and a 4 year old. so any one with kids knows where my time is spent. I am an experienced builder I just will not have the time. I would like this next plane to be a gasser(just thought that I would add that in) any help would be very greatful.

thank you very much.
Jason
Old 06-19-2006, 11:16 AM
AeroDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: help with plane decission

Jason,
sounds like this question would find the most answers in the 3D forum. The 4* is a really nice flying plane. Its a great low wing trainer/sport plane. I think the next step up would be something more capable of pattern type moves, meaning something that will be good at helping you really use the rudder. Also, it would be a good idea to fly something that doesn't respond and land like a trainer before you venture into something that is so expensive, big and potentially dangerous. These days lots of folks make the jump into 3D, whether with large planes or not, without taking care to really learn to fly. What happens is they have huge holes in their development. Things like inverted harriers are a huge problem because it is hard for them to grasp the different rudder orientations associated with that move. Also, they have never spent time on long, slow rolls, etc, and don't have a sense for feeding in control, rather than jamming it in. And their flying shows it. Work on inverted stall turns, point rolls, things like that. You can certainly learn these moves with your 4*. I just think a big SA gasser might be a bit of a jump right now. Right after posting this I'm loading the car to test fly my new 28% CAP 232. I've had many planes like this and am sure it will go well. I know, too, that even though they are relatively easy to fly and fly very well there is a world of differences in how a IMAC/3D gasser feels, responds and presents in comparison to what you're flying now. Just their size and the way they eat up space can be intimidating. Anyway, if you still want to go ahead with the gasser, I would suggest something in the 33% size. The smaller ones can have higher wing loadings which require a different skill set. If you can afford it, though, I'd strongly recommend getting a 40 sized pattern type arf to fly around for a month first. You'll be really glad you did. Then, when you see a 3D wanna be flopping around like a fish, you'll smile inside and know what the rest of us know.

Best of luck,

Dave