Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Super Chipmunk ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Great Planes Super Chipmunk ARF

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Blitzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Super Chipmunk ARF

I am looking at purchasing this arf and I have a few questions. I had this plane recomened to me by our club president. This will be my 4th plane and will be my first engine over .46. Will a GMS 1.20 be to big of an engine for this plane. And is there room in it to hook up a smoke system. I dont want to go with a four stroke engine because they cost a lot more compared to the two strokes. So if anyone knows anything about this arf could they please answer my questions.

Blitzz
Old 08-15-2006, 09:03 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Super Chipmunk ARF

I don't own the plane, but would download the manuals for it to study. Download the manuals for the GMS engine, and see what kind of room it takes to mount the engine. Then find the exhaust system you want with smoke, and see if there is room for it. The 1.20 is size maximum listed for a 4 stroke. I just bought my first 4 stroke, I may never go back. Yes, more expensive. Looks like it may be pretty economical too. I have only run 4 tank fulls (16 oz) and am getting about 16 min. per tank.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:46 PM
AeroDave

Blitzz,
A 1202 stroke would be a VERY good match for this plane. If I were you, though, I'd look at the OS 120AX. I have one and its truly a fabulous engine. Tons of power and torque, but absolutely reliable. I fly hard core 3D with this motor down on the deck. After hundreds of flights, not a single hickup. That's insurance for your investment.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Blitzz

I think I am going to scrapm the idea of a smoke sytem. I can put one in later if I want. I am going to shop around for a good relable engine.

Blitzz
Old 08-16-2006, 01:31 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

The only one of these I saw belongs to another guy in the club. He said it built heavy and wasn't too happy with it. Could be him but I would ask around a little before I bought one.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Blitzz

My club president has....one of these and said it as the funest plane he has ever owned/flown. He said it handels like it is on rails. I do expect to build a bit heavy with a fiberglass fusealauge and a 81" wingspan. It is a big plane.

Blitzz
Old 08-16-2006, 02:06 PM
jbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several threads on the Chipmunk. The OS 120 AX is great because it comes with a muffler that has an adaptor to make it a pitts style muffler. If cost is a concern this little adaptor will save you $50 in muffler expense. Do a search and you will find several guys that have used the 120AX.