Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

need a new plane

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

need a new plane

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:51 AM
wsk8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a new plane

I'm searching for the perfect plane! does anyone have any recomendations? Here are my qualifications: ARF yeah I know but I just don't have the time to build; affordable -below 150 would be good; decent looks; would look decent on floats (not full time though); I'm thinking .40 sized -no bigger but .25 would be fine; good slow speed flying -I love to hover and go backwards on a windy day; good aerobatic potential -I love unlimited vertical.
My last plane was a dazzler, I totally wore it out but I was getting bored with it near the end. I'm kinda thinking a GP Super Sportster. Are the wings removable on that plane??
Any other suggestions??
Old 08-22-2006, 01:33 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: need a new plane

Funny you mention the GP SS. I was thinking exactly that. Yes, the wing is removable.

You should also consider a GP Big Stik or an Ultra Stick .40 from Hangar 9.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:39 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Super Sportster is not the best at slow flight. The Four Star 40 or the Tiger II would give you a greater useable speed range and they will work better on floats also. The Tiger does better aerobatics than the Four Star. If you want to move up a little bit in looks and sophistication, check out the Cermark Graduate.

Jim
Old 08-23-2006, 02:44 PM
GrantK
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the Tower fun 51, I know its a kit but I build mine in two days and it will fly as slow as a trainer (if you build it light) and it can realy punch holls in the sky. If you have to have a ARF than go with the Four Star one of the funest planes I've owned.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:31 PM
ShuckyD

big sticks are EW!!!

haha ivehad one thats been my daily flyer for 6 years its a .40 size Great Planes Big Stik i currently have a .46Thunder Tiger in it and it powers it quite fine if you ask me. I jsut got tired of it because you can only do so much. I was working on snap rolls with it a couple months back and i ripped the stupid rudder off...haha fixed it though, as well as revamping it and turning it into a taildragger. I wouldnt recommend the Big Stik just for the fact that it gets boring (in my opinion) the GP SS is a nice bet if you want to go for something a little more sporty then check out the Funtanas my newest plane is the Funtana X 50 and it flies like a champ [8D]
Old 08-25-2006, 02:26 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm currently flying the Cermark Graduate and let me tell you - that is one light plane! I have an Eyna 45CX up front and it has unlimited vertical! Slows down to a slow landing to boot....would look real good on floats!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88524.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	513041  
Old 08-25-2006, 02:54 PM
wsk8r

Yeah, I had a big stick 40 for a couple years ...eventually killed it doing things if shouldn't have been doing cause it got kinda boring to me -plus I didn't really like the looks. It was a bit more fun as a taildragger though. I think I'm down to the four star 40 or the graduate. I'm not so worried about unlimited aerobatics or speed after running a flying machine and a dazzler each with a tuned 46 fx. I'm going more for overall appeal. The graduate looks a bit better but I'd want to make it a tail dragger. the four star just seems to be everyone's favorite plus it's just got that everyday beater plane look. Hmmmm I'll figure it out at some point. Thanks for the input everyone!