Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Engine Problems

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Engine Problems

Old 09-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Blitzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Problems

I have a evolution .46 on my Spad. And whenever I do a steep climb or I do a loop it dies at the very top. I was going full throttle and then I pulled a loop at the very top my engine was very very close to cutting out. Does anybody have any idea on what this could be? It still has the same glow plug in it. This is the first plane it ever did any manuvers in.

Blitzz
Old 09-07-2006, 02:33 PM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Engine Problems

There are a lot of things that could cause it. The first thing I would check is the high speed mixture. It could be starving for fuel at those attitudes and may need a richer setting. One way to check is tune the engine normally on the ground and then hold the plane straight up or even on its back to see if it tries to shut off. If so, it may simply be that the position of the tank requires a richer setting to do those maneuvers.

Anybody have other ideas?
Old 09-07-2006, 02:44 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

The clunk in the tank is too long and hitting the back of the tank and not following the fuel in the loop and stopping flow when vertical. or what was already suggested you are too lean on the high end.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:33 PM
super tigre

I also think your mixture is too lean,tank height,clunk hitting the back of the tank will both cause a lean condition,as suggested before try adjusting the needle on the ground and then holding the plane nose up.and you may also want to try this with different fuel levels in the tank(example) full tank,1/2 tank,and then 1/4 tank if you get it working good with a full tank but then are having problems at 1/4 tank check your tank height.hope this helps.
Steve
AMA#511248
Old 09-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Blitzz

I think I found the problem. I took out my fuel tank adn the clunk was curled up at the top of the tank so when it went vertical the engine wasnt getting any fuel. I will also try richining it a tad.

Blitzz
Old 09-08-2006, 12:51 PM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Great! That's a common occurence. Usually after a hard nose in landing or abrupt stop. Afterward, it's good to remember to give the plane a good jerk toward the tail and back to be sure the clunk is free.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:40 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Add a piece of stiff tubing (Plastic, brass, or whatever) to the clunk line. This will allow it ti swing to all areas of the rear of the tank but it won't let it swing forward.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41936.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	521045  
Old 09-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Blitzz

Ok the engine is running perfect now but I cannot get my muffler tight. Once it is warmed up it will spin around and around. The bolt and the muffler are stripped so do you think i should drill out the muffler and just put a bolt on it instead of it being threaded or try and put a few drops of j-b weld on it?