Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Check out my plane >

Check out my plane

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Check out my plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:20 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check out my plane

I call this a quickeestik . Kind of a homebrewed cross between a quickee 500 and a stik. I lofted this one up, anotherwords built it without plans. D-tube construction on the wing. Flew for the first time yesterday and flies great. 50 inch wingspan, 500 squares. OS 40 FX for power. I put all the control rods outside by burying the servos in the fuse with just the servo arms sticking out. That way a short wire goes to the rudder, elevator, and motor instead of pushrods. Sure is easy to set up and adjust, though it may look a bit weird. The whole plane is built with tower balsa and play and covered with tower kote. I don't think there's more than $20 in materials in it. This is probably #10 in a series of these I built in the last 5 years just to have something thats easy and cheap to build, flies well, and in between can rest in the rafters of my garage, nothing fancy. On each one I try out new things, different tail shapes, new airfoils, different radio gear setup and placement etc. They all seem to fly the same anyway, fast and well. This one has an airfoil that's only 1 inch thick, but I haven't noticed any difference in speed between this one and the last that had a 1.5 inch thick airfoil.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89553.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	557466  
Old 11-10-2006, 09:57 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Check out my plane

Looks really cute!

Another fine addition to the "Stik" family
Old 11-10-2006, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now you just need to try it in a v-tail............LOL
Old 11-20-2006, 11:08 AM

Good Idea. Looks like a fun plane to fly. Herb Calvin
Old 11-20-2006, 09:07 PM

haha, i dont think its possible to go through this hobby without owning some sort of stick at some point![8D]
Old 11-21-2006, 01:45 AM

You've got that right. I'd actually had been flying about 10 years before I got down to stiks. One day I got sick of the inevitable crashes that usually ended my much fancier creations (not to mention the cost)and built a stik with the idea that it wouldn't break my heart if that thing crashed, and ever since I've been cranking out stiks. Those utilitarian lines and that agressive look a stik has with that flat , no dihedral wing becomes quite attractive after a while, and I especially like the way that engine hangs out front in full view. Also building planes with no plans suits my nature-I was never good at following directions anyway. These planes don't have any silly pretenses of trying to look like some full scale plane, they are just built to do one thing- fly well-and they always do.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:05 PM

Hi cool plane I just had a friend give me an ultra stick from hangar 9..he's moving up to gas engines...mostly I fly 1/2A....is that the runway you fly off of?? is it just sand?...Rog
Old 11-21-2006, 08:11 PM

ha, good for you rog, I have been thinking about talking myself into building/buying a 40 sized stick.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:12 AM

The place you see that plane sitting is about a mile east of the great salt lake, due west of salt lake city utah. Its kind of a cross between a salt flat and a mud flat, seems to be a mixture of both. A great little spot to fly when it is not messed up too much by four wheelers doing donuts. There are a few guys from salt lake city and surroundings that fly there when they just want to burn holes in the sky. You have to be a pretty hardy sort to fly there, a four wheel drive is recommended in any wet weather, and due to the aforemetioned atv activity, sometimes you need to be able to avoid dirt clods.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:03 PM

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]