Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

What is the best current ARF Sports Model?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

What is the best current ARF Sports Model?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:17 PM
ekfinch
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is the best current ARF Sports Model?

What would be your second choice since the Cloud Dancer is not available.

Just curious.

KF
Old 12-06-2007, 09:27 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

For pure sport flying, I would be very anxious to fly the Great Planes Revolver ARF. I really like the lines and the styling of the aircraft, and by all accounts and reviews it's a terrific flying airframe.

I'm actually flying an Ace Staudacher S-300 ARF right now with the Thunder Tiger F-91s four stroke on it. It's more of a sport/scale aerobatic plane, having been modelled after Diane Hakala's 1997 World Aerobatics Champion aircraft. This is also a wonderful ARF that is very attractive and extremely well built.

If you want the best sport plane ARF that is currently available, I think the Revolver is it. If you want to fly a wonderful sport/scale aircraft that is a little more unusual at the local flying field, then take a really good look at the Ace Staudacher.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75288.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	820015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65763.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	820016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67162.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	820017  
Old 12-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Cogburn

I have a Dragon Lady I haven't had time to start on yet.

I'm hoping it will be the best arf yet!

Name:	Ki20312.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	820028  
Old 05-21-2008, 10:53 AM
RC Flier
My Feedback: (9)

OK, I like your aircraft choice and your video with the music. I too was military and the music is importatnt and I have been to Gattlinburg to the Music Palace where Lee Greenwood performed it live. My question for your theme of " He who dies with the most toy, wins" is wins WHAT. We could spend all our lives acumulating "stuff" and miss the point of life. We ALL have a choice of where we want to spend eternity. Heaven or Hell, it's up to you. Even in the military, priorities exist. Larry
Old 05-22-2008, 07:51 AM
matt13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, you may have a point there RC Flier, but maybe looking at bit too deep into a statement of fun, not life style. But what is your current choice of the ARF models that are on the market today, I mean, what is the model which you enjoy the most?
Old 05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
RC Flier
My Feedback: (9)

I have flown the Tiger Stick and spent a year flying it inverted. Didn't like the Ultra Stick so much. Really like my Dragon Lady.....and would do it again except I have a Nutten Special (ARC). All the Model Tech ARF's and could recommend the only World Model aircraft I flew. ARF's are better than a beginner can build for the most part. Thx
Old 05-22-2008, 06:19 PM
skyraider71

My first choice for arf sport plane would be the tower Kaos, though I'd have to re-cover it!
It's priced right, and has vintage apeal. I might be adding this one to my hanger soon!
Old 05-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Mustang Fever

For another 50 bucks you can get the Big Stik 60. I just maidened one the other day, and cannot believe how well it flies and how much fun it is. It has unlimited vertical with a 65LA, and absolutely no bad habits. The only thing it won't do is spin.

Name:	Xv64666.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	956075  
Old 05-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Kostas1

Mustang Fever i want more pics of your bird!

Cheers,

Kostas
Old 05-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Mustang Fever

Kostas:

I'll see what I can do. It's loaded in the car right now, ready to go to Memorial Day "Dawn Patrol".
Old 05-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Sherman

You do not have to recover a Kaos. I have one and fly it a lot, and despite stuff I read, the covering is excellent. Sometimes, A pinstripe will come loose (big deal), but that is all. A tremendous airplane. Rugged, aerobatic, easy to fly, easy to land. I used the wheels supplied, the tank supplied, and all the hardware. No additional epoxy or CA required (except where noted in the booklet).
Old 06-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Vendetta

I love my pulse 40.. I really want the pulse 60 and would love to add retracts...

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPKtHnoUqC4]This is a vid of my pulse in action[/link]
Old 06-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mustang Fever

For another 50 bucks you can get the Big Stik 60. I just maidened one the other day, and cannot believe how well it flies and how much fun it is. It has unlimited vertical with a 65LA, and absolutely no bad habits. The only thing it won't do is spin.
+1 on the Big Stick, Hot, Fast and Cheap. Kinda like my first wife, you know, the pretty one.....
Old 06-17-2008, 01:00 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

You might want to read the GP Cherokee ARF postings under the ARF topic heading. I just bought mine at the LHS last week and this is one VERY NICE ARF!!! Will use the O.S. .46 AX for power. You really need to check out this plane as I could not believe how nice and well built it was right out of the box. I'm a kit builder/scratch from plans builder so I don't readily get into the ARF theme but I have to say the GP Cherokee ARF is very impressive. Have not maidened mine (waiting on the engine to be delivered) but if you go and read the thread I think you will want to check it out. Soft landings. Joe

Broken Wings: what is that model in your avitar...that's a sharp looking scheme!
Old 06-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Mustang Fever

Squeak: you're right. That one is at the top of my "maybe someday" list. It doesn't hurt that I soloed at full size Cherokee 140 lo these many years ago.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:26 PM
squeakalong

No "maybe" about it, Bob, you need to check this ARF out! Hey...your in Cadillacalacalaca and I'm in Interlochen...might have to get you up here when I put some flights on it. Check out the ARF thread for info. on this offering. One guy (JCB) is putting floats on his and after looking at the model I think it would be a winner with floats. Geeeeeeez...more ideas.... Soft landings. Joe
Old 06-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: sqeakalong

You might want to read the GP Cherokee ARF postings under the ARF topic heading. I just bought mine at the LHS last week and this is one VERY NICE ARF!!! Will use the O.S. .46 AX for power. You really need to check out this plane as I could not believe how nice and well built it was right out of the box. I'm a kit builder/scratch from plans builder so I don't readily get into the ARF theme but I have to say the GP Cherokee ARF is very impressive. Have not maidened mine (waiting on the engine to be delivered) but if you go and read the thread I think you will want to check it out. Soft landings. Joe

Broken Wings: what is that model in your avitar...that's a sharp looking scheme!
That is a control line model called the Biceps Biplane. It uses a .60 size engine "Fox .59" shown on the plans. you can still buy the plans.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 PM
squeakalong

Hey, John, I'm a sucker for great looking CL planes. Use to fly them every chance I got in the '50's - '70's 'till R/C nipped me in the...well you know how it goes ! Thanks for the information on that neat model...really like the wings and finish scheme. Soft landings. Joe
Old 06-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Mustang Fever

Joe:

Do you guys do float flying over there in Interlochen?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:52 PM
squeakalong

Bob: The TRAMPS (Traverse City) used to have a Sunday float fly every month (Summer) at Duck Lake but not sure if they still do..will check on that. The BARCS club, of which I flew with in Thompsonville, gets together at Crystal Lake to fly their float planes. I'll be getting together with the guys from both clubs this coming weekend at the TRAMPS annual Empire airshow June 21 & 22. Will get some current info and pass it along to you. If you get the opportunity come on up for the airshow...it's worth the trip!!

Bob: Give these guys a shout...

Stan Hyman (TRAMPS) [email protected] ref: float flying at Duck Lake

Fred Stafford (Barcs) [email protected] ref: float flying at Crystal Lake
Old 06-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Mustang Fever

Joe:

I think I might make the Empire show on Saturday, as the weather is looking good so far. Do the really let us use the paved runway? If so, I'd bring my PITN F-4 Phantom, although the wind looks like it might be wrong: (WSW) I think I'll bring along my H9 Camel as a backup. I made the TRAMPS dawn patrol Memorial Day, but there was no mention of the float flys.

CAMS is having a float fly next Wednesday in Baldwin, on Wolf Lake. It's really only a club thing, but there are so few of us splash practitioners that I'm sure you'd be welcome. Let me know and I'll post the address.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:29 AM
squeakalong

Bob: Yes , you can use the paved runway. There is a flyer from down state with a large turbine poweered F4 that uses the runway as do a couple of others. Get with Stan (the CD) on Saturday and he'll get you going. Hope to see you there.

It's been awhile since I flew anything with floats and have no floatplane at this time..darn it!! I'm really hoping this GP Cherokee ARF will work as a floatplane as it would be a bit different from the usual fare. We'll have to see how it feels when I fly it.

Soft landings,

Joe
Old 06-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Mustang Fever

Thanks, Joe

From experience, low wing float planes are loads of fun. I had a 4*60 set up that way, and it was great. You'd definitely want something bigger than a 46 engine. The OS 55AX would probably be about right. I have some very nice, scratch built Flybaby floats that I had on the 4*. If you want em, their yours. They are 36" long and should be about right for the Cherokee. Maybe a touch big.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:31 PM
squeakalong

Bob:

I have the RCM Flybaby under construction now (cuting out parts) and have the float and ski plans with it. That was what I considered using on the ARF Cherokee but not sure if the plane can be closed up well enough to keep the water spray out of the innerds. Need to give it some more thought. Hang on to those floats...you just KNOW that as soon as you give them away....

Soft landings,

Joe
Old 06-23-2008, 09:13 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Currently flying CG Goldberg's Skylark 70............VERY smooth fun airplane!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.