Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Man, That was Fun!!! >

Man, That was Fun!!!

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Man, That was Fun!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 09:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Man, That was Fun!!!

Just got back from the flying field after deciding this morning to pack up our veteran LT-40 powered with a Thunder Tiger 46 Pro and a guided by our Futaba 6XAS on PCM. This is our 3rd year flying this trainer. Now that we're pretty comfortable with it we (my 15 year old son and I) moved the CG back from our training point of 27% to 30% per instructions and bumped up the rates a bit. At the start of this flying season I swapped out the RX and TX 600mAH NiCD packs with 1100mAH NiCD packs.

When we arrived at the field there were 3 other members there but said they had just finished and were packing up to head home. It's a little gusty but we've flown in blustery weather before so my son goes up first. Makes a nice takeoff, circles around and descends and lands right away. "What's the matter," I ask? He said it seemed to be rolling left and right on it's own a bit much. I said that's probably the wind affecting you plus I did bump up the rates a bit. We did a range check and everything looks fine so he goes up again. He puts in a full flight. With the std 8oz tank, we limit our air time to 10 minutes. He said it seemed OK that time.

We refuel and I take my turn, and did some rolls, flew the length of the field inverted and a lot of climbing turns, low and high speed passes, lots and lots of touch and goes. I started doing some full up elevator takeoffs and can get the LT-40 airborne in about 20 feet with 3/4 power. The LT-40 can take off at half throttle with the TT 46 pulling an 11-5 prop. We fly with the needle a tad on the rich side and can climb out at 60ΒΊ attitude. By this time any trace of wind had died down completely so we do touch and goes from both directions. Our landowner planted corn surrounding our field so long & low approaches are not recommended.

With the 1100mAH packs we can extend our flying time to purt near 2 hours. We each had 4 full flights (8 total @ 10 minutes each) and still had battery and fuel left for a few more but it was getting on dinner time so we decide to end our very productive sport flying day. And a heckuva day it was with an hour and 20 minutes of total air time, a nearly dead gallon of fuel, a very oily unbroken airplane left and 2 hungry guys.

A perfect summer afternoon of flying! [8D]

Old 08-12-2007, 09:24 PM
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Man, That was Fun!!!

Purrrrfect!

Sounds like you both had a great time!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:12 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Followup question - when in sustained inverted flight with engine and stock tank setup (i.e. muffler pressure to the vent tube), are we pumping raw fuel out of the tank and through the muffler? Vent tube is bent upward and nearly touches the top of the tank but the whole tank is lower than the carb when upright. Fly inverted and the tank is now higher than carb and much higher than the muffler.

Does the higher pressure in the muffler prevent the fuel from exiting?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Muffler pressure should keep the fuel going the right way. If fuel was exiting the muffler hose in inverted flight in would be sucking in air from the carb line and the engine would die.

I like to put around the sky inverted its not uncommon for me to fly around 5 minutes or more completely inverted. With a properly setup tank and such there isnt any problem.