Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Need Sport/pattern plane for YS63s engine >

Need Sport/pattern plane for YS63s engine

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Need Sport/pattern plane for YS63s engine

Old 10-16-2007, 04:41 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Sport/pattern plane for YS63s engine

I have a YS63S engine and looking for a good sport/pattern/3D plane for it. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:54 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Need Sport/pattern plane for YS63s engine

Kyosho Oxalys 50 - this is an impressive airframe and a very good match for your engine. Venus .40 would be a good second choice if you don't want to spend for the Oxalys.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Kyosho Oxalys 50 - this is an impressive airframe and a very good match for your engine. Venus .40 would be a good second choice if you don't want to spend for the Oxalys.
I have been looking at that myself, however have not been able to find one available at least through http://www.hobbytron.com/KyoshoOxalysNitroAirplane.html. Do you have another source?
Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Try this address it is Kyosho Americas website, Says plane is available

http://www.shopkyosho.com/product/pr...=KYO11852B/410
Old 10-16-2007, 10:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GP Reactor
Fliton Inspire
Showtime 50
Funtana
Old 10-17-2007, 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: overbored77

Try this address it is Kyosho Americas website, Says plane is available

http://www.shopkyosho.com/product/pr...=KYO11852B/410
Thanks. I like the price of my site better, but we will see.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:15 AM

ORIGINAL: wildnloose

GP Reactor
Fliton Inspire
Showtime 50
Funtana
Okay here is a comparison, I added the Funtana.

Plane-----------WT lbs---------WS---------Engine-----------Price
Reactor--------5.25-6.16------58"----------.70-4c----------$170
Inspire---------5.29-6.17------60.6"-----.63-.82-4c--------$240
Showtime---------6-7----------57"-------.40-.52-2c--------$175
------------------------------------------.56-.82-4c
Funtana----------4-4.5*-------56"--------.32-.46-2c--------$175
---------------------------------------------.40-.82-4c
U-Can-Do---------5-6---------57"--------.32-.50-2c--------$150
------------------------------------------.52-.70-4c
Oxalys-------------5.4---------57"--------.40-.46-2c--------$240
---------------------------------------------.63-4c
Added
Groovy 50---------5.7--------54.5"-------.40-.50 2c--------$140
--------------------------------------------.50-.70 4c
SuperSport 40S---5.5--------56.5"----------.52 4c---------$100
SpotOn 50---------5.3--------53.5"--------.52-.70 4c-------$140
Zen50--------------6.0--------54"----------.40 2c/.52 4c---$219
Aeropet50----------5.0--------55"----------.52-.70 4c------$140

Now to decide.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 PM

Just to add additional confusion, World Models makes several ".50-sized" pattern planes that would be a good fit for the YS Engines .63 as well. You can check them out at http://www.airborne-models.com

Zen 50, Groovy 50, Spot On .50, and Aero Pet .50 ARFs all come immediately to mind.

You could also check out the Sportsman Aviation Excelleron .50 pattern ARF available at http://www.hobbypeople.net
Old 10-17-2007, 06:50 PM

The best i have seen is the Hirobo Astral which is designed around the YS63 and hatori short pipe.

I saw one in a model shop when i was in Singapore and the quality was excellent. It took all my will power to resist pulling out the credit card.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 PM

Just to add additional confusion, World Models makes several ".50-sized" pattern planes that would be a good fit for the YS Engines .63 as well. You can check them out at http://www.airborne-models.com

Zen 50, Groovy 50, Spot On .50, and Aero Pet .50 ARFs all come immediately to mind.

You could also check out the Sportsman Aviation Excelleron .50 pattern ARF available at http://www.hobbypeople.net

Thanks. I added more to the list above. There are more out there than I thought.[8D]
Old 10-17-2007, 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: CustomPC

The best i have seen is the Hirobo Astral which is designed around the YS63 and hatori short pipe.

I saw one in a model shop when i was in Singapore and the quality was excellent. It took all my will power to resist pulling out the credit card.
Are they available in the US? Cost?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:10 AM

If you are looking for a sport/pattern/3D plane then I probably would not consider the last 5 on your list...

If the Excelleron 50 flies like its bigger brother then its a pretty good one...

The Reactor is probably the best option you have. I will probably get one to replace my Global Freestyle (which, IMO, is the best 46 sized sport/pattern/3D plane ever made). Too bad they discontinued it).

Personally I would have a hard time paying over $200 for any 60 sized plane because you are now getting in the 90-120 sized prices.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 AM

With regard to the Hirobo Astral - unfortunately, Hirobo products aren't very well distributed here in the United States. This could be a tough airframe to track down here in the States. Hirobo helicopter products will turn up occassionally. Your best chance would be to find a Hirobo helicopter dealer and ask them about special ordering the Astral.

With regard to spending $200+ for a .50-sized airframe - would you rather have the nicest flying .50-sized airframe on the market, or a mediocre .90-sized airframe for the same price?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:33 PM

With regard to spending $200+ for a .50-sized airframe - would you rather have the nicest flying .50-sized airframe on the market, or a mediocre .90-sized airframe for the same price?
Well shoot man, why not just tell me what plane ur talking about. I'm sure winglift would appreciate knowing as well....
Old 10-18-2007, 05:40 PM

Well shoot man, why not just tell me what plane ur talking about. I'm sure winglift would appreciate knowing as well....
I would like to know which one bigedmustafa prefers since I am depending upon you all for your help and to be fair I would like to know why you would not recommend the last five planes?[8D]
Old 10-19-2007, 12:32 AM

From your first post, sounds like you are looking for a hybrid type plane, one that is capable of flying sport, pattern, and 3d equally well. Those last 4 (exclude the groovy) are pattern planes, I believe the flying surfaces are too small to perform decent 3d with (Unless you are a really good pilot).

btw-I also like flying these type of hybrid planes. My Global Freestyle (discontinued) is the best .46 sized plane I have ever flown. I have yet to fly any better hybrid this size. I have flown bigger versions of the Zen (strictly pattern, not good 3d), Groovy (pretty good pattern and 3d, just did not like it(personal taste), and Excelleron (best of these 3, I bought one myself, they are now discontinued, not very good at 3d). The Funtana 100 is o.k., just do not like its flying characteristics (3d and pattern). The Showtime is a pretty good 3d bird but I found it hard to tame for pattern. Some say they had tamed it, but I have yet to see one fly decent in the wind, just all over the sky. Then theres the snapping problem that about half of them seem to experience (thankfully mine did not).

To me, how well they fly pattern means how well they represent in a maneuver, how much correction is needed, and how much does the wind bother them. My 3d flying consists of knife edging (snaps, spins, loops, cuban 8's, HA across the field, KE walls - I love knife edging), basic 3d such as blenders, flat spins (upright and inverted), waterfalls, harrier (not good at it), rolling (harrier, loops, circles (these kill me)), wall, parachute, falling leaf (I think that is the name), stairstep (for lack of a better name), and elevators.

Bear in mind, these hybrids will not be able to do a lot of these 3d maneuvers but they should do most. I have yet to get a decent waterfall out of my freestyle...
I just bought a Maxxair Velox for my 3d plane. I will pull my ys110 out of my Excelleron and use it first, or switch to my ys140 if I need more power. People on this forum say the Velox flies better than Showtime and Funtana, we shall see. For $159 I don't mind taking a chance.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would like the know as well, im in the market for a nice pattern ship, i have enough 3d models
Old 10-19-2007, 01:08 AM

a suggestion could be the CMPRO Quest 50
Old 10-19-2007, 10:30 AM

Sorry, I meant this as a retorical question. I was simply suggesting that investing in a high quality airframe like the Kyosho Oxalys as a home for winglift's YS .63s wasn't as bad of an investment as, say, buying a VMar CAP232 .60-.90 ARF just because you can get a larger airframe for the same or less money.

As for what I would pick? I don't have much interest in 3D flying (I'm sure I will in the future, just not yet), and when I think of YS engines I think of pattern planes. If somebody gave me a YS .63s and told me I needed to find a good airframe for it, I'd probably consider the following three airframes based on my available budget at the time:

1) Kyosho Oxalys ARF
2) Thunder Tiger Imagine 50 ARF
3) Great Planes Venus 40 ARF

If somebody wanted a 3D/Pattern hybrid for a YS .63s, there are plenty of good choices not yet mentioned:

-Model Tech Twister ARF
-Lanier Razor 3D ARF
-Model Tech Paramount 50 ARF
-Sig Mayhem 40 ARF
-Goldberg Matrix 3D

All I was saying is that investing in a top-quality airframe isn't a waste of money.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:38 AM

Sorry, I meant this as a retorical question. I was simply suggesting that investing in a high quality airframe like the Kyosho Oxalys as a home for winglift's YS .63s wasn't as bad of an investment as, say, buying a VMar CAP232 .60-.90 ARF just because you can get a larger airframe for the same or less money.

As for what I would pick? I don't have much interest in 3D flying (I'm sure I will in the future, just not yet), and when I think of YS engines I think of pattern planes. If somebody gave me a YS .63s and told me I needed to find a good airframe for it, I'd probably consider the following three airframes based on my available budget at the time:

1) Kyosho Oxalys ARF
2) Thunder Tiger Imagine 50 ARF
3) Great Planes Venus 40 ARF

If somebody wanted a 3D/Pattern hybrid for a YS .63s, there are plenty of good choices not yet mentioned:

-Model Tech Twister ARF
-Lanier Razor 3D ARF
-Model Tech Paramount 50 ARF
-Sig Mayhem 40 ARF
-Goldberg Matrix 3D

All I was saying is that investing in a top-quality airframe isn't a waste of money.
Thanks....this has been informative for me. I suppose I was really thinking of a plane that would be a basis for progressing through pattern and onto 3D and I realize that there are planes made exclusively for pattern or 3D.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:53 AM

Old 10-19-2007, 08:20 PM

Well said.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:11 AM

Here are my thouhts (in parenthesis):
1) Kyosho Oxalys ARF (Never flew them, but seen them fly...represent well. Don't like price, not sure it has ideal price/performance ratio)
2) Thunder Tiger Imagine 50 ARF (flies o.k.)
3) Great Planes Venus 40 ARF (flies o.k., noting to write home about)

-Model Tech Twister ARF (I forgot about this one. good plane represents pattern and 3d well, wish I still had it)
-Lanier Razor 3D ARF (flies)
-Model Tech Paramount 50 ARF (ugly and flies)
-Sig Mayhem 40 ARF (pretty good 3d, does not fly pattern well in windy conditions)
-Goldberg Matrix 3D (flies)

Like I said before, I like flying hybrid planes.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:06 PM
My Feedback: (11)

I don't think there is such thing as a good hybrid 3D / Pattern plane. Once you start putting counter
balances on control surfaces and setting up pattern / 3d dual rates you have pretty much taken the
pattern out of the plane. you lost servo resolution, mecanical advantage, and the planes ability
to present well. however if you really want a dual pupose plane then I am sure you will not
have a problem if it doesn't do either perfectly. This is my opinion and isn't even worth 2 cents.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:14 PM

ORIGINAL: overbored77

I don't think there is such thing as a good hybrid 3D / Pattern plane. Once you start putting counter
balances on control surfaces and setting up pattern / 3d dual rates you have pretty much taken the
pattern out of the plane. you lost servo resolution, mecanical advantage, and the planes ability
to present well. however if you really want a dual pupose plane then I am sure you will not
have a problem if it doesn't do either perfectly. This is my opinion and isn't even worth 2 cents.
I think winglift is simply looking for a plane for his own enjoyment. He doesn't necessarily need a competitive pattern plane; at least that's not the impression I've gotten reading his posts on this thread. He may not be taking a Lanier Razor 3D or Model Tech Twister to fly a Masters schedule at the Nats; but he should be able to have fun flying one of these planes in either pattern or 3D depending on his mood.