Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Which Ultimate >

Which Ultimate

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Which Ultimate

Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Ultimate

Just got back into flying after 10 years or so. I bought a used Morris Hobbies 540 edge. Flies great. Getting my feet wet again. Here's the question....
I love the ultimate Biplane. Had a half a dozen or so Goldbergs (before the ARF days). I want an ARF kit. something a 1.20 FS will fly very well. Should I get another Goldberg, or something else? I might even put a twin in it. Probably not. Probably a single 1.2 or 1.5.
Should I put in an OS, Saito, or YS?
Thanks
Wags
Old 11-14-2007, 10:45 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Which Ultimate

My choice would be the Goldberg with a Saito 1.25. The Skybolt is also a good flyer but will not do aerobatics like the Ult.

David
Old 11-14-2007, 02:50 PM

Who all is making the ARF Ultimates? Is aeroworks making one yet? How about that nitro models 120? They are cheap (makes me think there is a reason).
Thanks
Steve
Old 11-14-2007, 05:22 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at World Models, they all fly good. .40 to 33%

And their kits are very complete.

JimO
Old 11-14-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I absolutely loved my Goldberg ARF but dumb thumbed it in. I was planning to put a Saito 125 in it before the Stacking. It had an OS .91 FS.
As for the engine, OS is expesive and not worth it. I favor Saito. Bolt it up run the fule lines and go. My OS .91 with the pump is a Pain in the ***. It is a good thing I did not pay pay for that engine fully as it is really not worth it. With the Saito engines they are simple, not a lot of plumbing.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine has the Dave Patrick Ultimate ARF. I think its pretty much an updated version of the Goldberg. Flys very well and looks very nice!

-Johnny-
Old 11-14-2007, 09:39 PM

Ah, I forgot about Dave Patrick. I had looked at one of those years ago. It has a 60" span. A little heavier than the Goldberg. Who has seen Dave P kits?
Wags
Oh, yea...been out a long time, OS, Saito, or YS?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:57 PM

Huh, did a search and there was alot of Dave Patrick bashing. Is he back? Is he ok to do business with?
Wags
Old 11-15-2007, 01:09 AM

I've had two of the Patrick Ultimates, and they are not just an update of the Goldberg. They are great planes but alas, from what I've read too, Patrick seems to have faded away as a distributor. His website is still there at www.davepatrickmodels.com and says new models are on the way, but many have reported severe trouble getting anything from them. I also see reports of poor workmanship of later models, too bad, his earlier ones (mine is from 4 years ago, I have the Extra too) were some of the best available. You might try calling, the problem was never unscrupulous business dealings just poor customer service. If you do call them, let us know what the result was.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:03 PM

I tried calling the number listed on the website this afternoon. I got the "you have reached a number that has been disconmnected or is no longer in service" message.
I guess it is between the Goldberg and the nitroplanes or nitromodels or whatever it its.
Wags
Old 11-15-2007, 05:33 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Don't dismiss the World Models ARFs from Airborne Models quite so quickly:

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=1988

Their Ultimate 120 ARF with a Saito 150 in it would be an awful lot of fun, I would think. At $329 it is a very reasonably priced ARF, to boot.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22298.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	804576  
Old 11-15-2007, 05:36 PM

Look at World Models before you decide.

Have two of their ARFs and would be the first on my list to buy another.

Their hardware is excellent and quality of build is the best I have seen. I do have a Nitro models and would not go there again.

Just my 2 cents

JimO
Old 11-15-2007, 06:45 PM

I don't know anything about World Models. (as I said, just back into the hobby). How is the quality of their kits?
Wags
Old 11-15-2007, 07:38 PM

Go to their web site, www.theworldmodels.com , you can open the instruction manuel for any of their kits.

On my 1/5 Clipped Wing Cub, all the holes for mounting hardware or joining sub assemblies were pre-drilled and in the correct location. The landing gear was very scale like and strong.

I have the 40 Ultimate and again the same thing, All holes pre-drilled, hardware is excellent. Overall quality is great.

JimO
Old 11-15-2007, 09:46 PM

The [link=http://seagullmodels.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=30]Seagull version[/link] isn't too bad. 54" wingspan and comes in at just under 10 pounds with a 1.08 on it.

Name:	Ge95168.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	804756  
Old 11-24-2007, 07:59 PM

Well, I found one. A local guy had a Dave Paterick Ultimate he was selling. I looked at it. Perfect shape, complete less receiver. (actually had it, I didin't want it).
It has a YS 110sc engine. I know YS pieces make power, but will this be enough to haul ass? I am sure it flies well with it, but I am a more power guy. ....Haven't had time to fly it yet. Just got it and cold here today.
Thanks
Steve
Old 11-25-2007, 02:20 PM

I have a DP Ultimate for 9 years with well over 400 flights on it powered by Saito 150 GK is more then enough power.
It still flies and looks like new .

I have replaced the landing wheels twice over the years. The 150 GK has never failed, great engine.

I don't think the Ultimate was made to haul ***** as you say, but is a very good slow flying stunt plane .

My friend has the DP Ultimate as well, powered by O.S. 160 FX and I have had his plane in the air a few times
BIG POWER from the 160 for this plane.

Pic is about 4 years ago.

Good luck !

Steve

Name:	Vt57107.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	811539  
Old 11-25-2007, 11:08 PM

Well, I understand haul *****. But fly well for a biplane is what I'm looking for. I can't bring myself to put a 2 stroke on these planes. I like the sound of a four, so that limits haul ***** somewhat. I'll have to get it out and fly it with the 110 on it. If not, maybe a YS 140 is next in line.
Thanks
Steve
Old 11-25-2007, 11:48 PM

ORIGINAL: wagspe208

Well, I understand haul *****. But fly well for a biplane is what I'm looking for. I can't bring myself to put a 2 stroke on these planes. I like the sound of a four, so that limits haul ***** somewhat. I'll have to get it out and fly it with the 110 on it. If not, maybe a YS 140 is next in line.
Thanks
Steve
I like the sound of a 4 stroke myself, that's why I went with the Satio 150 GK .
I read a article about the DP Ultimate powered by a YS 140 and said it's more then enough power .
They started with O.S. 120 4 stroke and thought it was under powered.

I have had a few biplanes and I love the DP Ultimate by far over any others.
It can do any stunt in the book and make you look good too !
Over all a great flying plane and my favorite plane to fly!
very important
It needs a good strong servo for the rudder, I have two servos with pull pull for the rudder and strong fast servos for the control surfaces is a must. I fly stunt all the time, so I have a fast servo on the throttle too !

Steve
Old 11-26-2007, 06:59 AM
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

I absolutely loved my Goldberg ARF but dumb thumbed it in. I was planning to put a Saito 125 in it before the Stacking. It had an OS .91 FS.
As for the engine, OS is expesive and not worth it. I favor Saito. Bolt it up run the fule lines and go. My OS .91 with the pump is a Pain in the ***. It is a good thing I did not pay pay for that engine fully as it is really not worth it. With the Saito engines they are simple, not a lot of plumbing.

-----------

Not much plumbing with the OS FS-91 either, if you don't buy the one with the pump.

Lots of folks don't read the instructions that come with the pumped engines. They are necessary reading.

Saito isn't one whit better than OS. I own, buy and fly both brands and am not prejudiced one way or the other. Nor is OS one whit better than Saito. Both have advantages and disadvantages. While the Saito engines are generally lighter, I have found the OS four-strokes to be a little less demanding and longer lasting. Remember, though, I am dealing with small samples of each engine, so that may not be the case when comparing a lot of samples of each engine.

Pumped engines, from anyone, have a reputation for being overly complicated and requiring more maintenance over time (usually the pumps give out). Folks should read the instruction manual for pumped engines before plunking down their money. Most manuals are downloadable these days via the internet.

I try to avoid pumped engines most of the time, but sometimes you really need the pump for specific jobs. Buying used pumped engines is something I usually avoid too, although I have made one recent exception (OS FS-120 Surpass II/P). I'm putting the latter engine in my Goldberg Ultimate ARF - if I ever get around to it. <G>

Saito engines are sweet, no doubt, but so are OS, Enya and YS.

Ed Cregger

Old 11-26-2007, 10:23 PM

I am hoping to get it out this weekend. Out of town right now. I will let you guys know what I think. I am NOT a capable 3d pilot though. Just a backyard hack. I like flying for my enjoyment, and keeping everything in one piece.
Wags