Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

What would you suggest for a third plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

What would you suggest for a third plane?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:51 PM
plkracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you suggest for a third plane?

Hello, I've been flying my GP super sportster (mini) for almost 2 years now, and I am looking for the next step up, probably a gas plane. I had a brushless set up in the GP pushing 150 watts/lb so it was pretty aerobatic, but I'm getting to the point where the plane is my limitation, even on high rates. I'm looking for a good third plane, something around the 40 size, that has good aerobatics, but also stability. I've been looking at the RV-4, Ultimate Bipe (GP), Venus 40, and both the ultra sports. Building a kit doesn't bother me, I have all winter anyways, so any suggestions? What other models should I be looking at? Thank you.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:53 PM
plkracer

Default RE: What would you suggest for a third plane?

Oh, I forgot to add that I'm not into the whole crazy 3d hovering thing, I just like to do rolls, loops, etc.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:29 PM
plkracer

I like the ultra sports, it looks like they are still very popular. Looking at their size, I could go with the 60, but what advantages does it have over the 40? I assume it's smoother and flies better? Also, what engine would tower carry that would work great in this plane? I'm looking for enough power to hover, don't need mad vertical.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:15 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mentioned that you are currently flying the Super Sportster EP, have you looked at the Super Sportster .40 ARF? Tower has a combo with a .46-AX and it flys very well. Other options include a World Models T-34, Hangar-9 Pulse XT, Sig 4-star and a few others. The Ultra Sport that you mentioned would be great too. It sounds like you have plenty of flying time but you still may not want to go too advanced for your first glow plane. I'd stay away from things like an Ultimate Bipe for now, maybe make that your 4th plane.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:34 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

If you're interested in building a kit this winter, either of the Ultra Sports or the Great Planes Tracer kit would be an excellent choice. All of these kits had been out of production but were just recently brought back due to customer demand.

The O.S. Max .55AX would be a natural fit for the Ultra Sport .40 or Tracer kit, where as the .75 AX would be a nice pairing with the Ultra Sport .60 kit. The usual 4-stroke replacement sizes would also be a lot of fun in one of these airframes.

Most pattern planes make a very good third airframe and are an absolute riot to fly. Good luck and good shopping!
Old 12-01-2007, 06:58 PM
plkracer

Seeing all the good reviews, I had to pick up a US 60 from tower. Haven't bought a engine yet, but I have a little while to think about it. Also, what is involved in glassing the wings?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:50 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: plkracer
I'm looking for enough power to hover, don't need mad vertical.
You don't hover an Ultra Sport. It's not a 3-D plane. It's an aerobatic plane and should be flown as such.

Ken
Old 12-01-2007, 08:16 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you keep it at 7lbs an OS91 Surpass will give you exceptional power, excellent vertical but less top speed then the 75AX. I can do 2-300 foot loops with the 91 and my 9lbs mustang.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:30 PM
plkracer

I didn't plan to hover, I'm just lookign for that amount of juice, so I know I can get out of situations.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:34 PM
plkracer

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

You mentioned that you are currently flying the Super Sportster EP, have you looked at the Super Sportster .40 ARF? Tower has a combo with a .46-AX and it flys very well. Other options include a World Models T-34, Hangar-9 Pulse XT, Sig 4-star and a few others. The Ultra Sport that you mentioned would be great too. It sounds like you have plenty of flying time but you still may not want to go too advanced for your first glow plane. I'd stay away from things like an Ultimate Bipe for now, maybe make that your 4th plane.
I was looking at that, but I wanted something a bit faster, and more aerobatic. I trained on a tower trainer 4-5 years ago, and then got this plane about 2 years ago. I have also flown a 40 sized vub with clipped wings and a 60, and a 40 sized extra, and i was able to control them pretty easily. The super sportster is only the second plane I owned. It's nice to have a smaller plane for flying around home, but I also want something a little bigger for the flying field.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:12 PM
jeffk464

If you can handle a 40 sized extra well, I think you will have not trouble flying any aerobatic plane around. The Ultra sport 60 should be easier to fly than a 40 sized extra, so long as its built straight and true.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Cogburn

If you like loops and rolls and aerobatics than a pattern type plane like the Venus may be much to your liking, after all that is what they are made to do ...very well.

Trying out the basic pattern sequence is a good way to learn how to fly. It will give you a goal.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:23 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: plkracer

I didn't plan to hover, I'm just lookign for that amount of juice, so I know I can get out of situations.
I run an OS 61 FX on my Ultra Sport 60 size and it's more than enough power to fly the plane.

Ken
Old 12-02-2007, 12:07 AM
plkracer

Ok, I see some people using larger engines and was wondering why. The extra was a little challenging, but not uncontrollable. It was my uncles, and he crashed it the next day due to interference.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:30 AM
jeffk464

A OS91 surpass is in the same power and weight range as the 61FX, it really wouldn't be too much power.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:07 PM
plkracer

I'll have to look into that too. I love the sound of a four stroke, but not the cost.