Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Need help with electronics!

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Need help with electronics!

Old 03-01-2008, 12:09 PM
farleys04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with electronics!

I have recently traded for this plane which I have been told is a Ace Cloud Dancer 60. I am looking to put an engine and electronics in it but I have no idea what to get. This is my first airplane and I could use some advice. Also any hobby shops online that have good prices would be helpful because I dont have access to LHS. Thanks for any help I have included a pic of the plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20305.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	892329  
Old 03-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need help with electronics!

ORIGINAL: farleys04

I have recently traded for this plane which I have been told is a Ace Cloud Dancer 60. I am looking to put an engine and electronics in it but I have no idea what to get. This is my first airplane and I could use some advice.
Get a trainer. That Cloud Dancer isn't a good trainer or good first plane.

Go to the Beginners forum and read the sticky on trainers.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:49 PM
farleys04

Unfortunatley I dont have the funds to buy a trainer. I usually acquire through trading and I am stationed in Germany right now so shipping is impossible to the states. But thank you for the advice and I will keep an eye out. Just wondering if you had any ideas in what I should put in this plane to make it rtf. Thanks
Old 03-01-2008, 04:36 PM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the most inexpensive 60 size engine you van find as if this is your first plane and with out help from any one chances are it will not survive long.use a large diameter low pitch prop so as to keep the speed slow and constant to allow more reaction time but the best thing would be to trade it for a trainer even a small one.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunatley I dont have the funds to buy a trainer. I usually acquire through trading and I am stationed in Germany right now so shipping is impossible to the states. But thank you for the advice and I will keep an eye out. Just wondering if you had any ideas in what I should put in this plane to make it rtf. Thanks
You can't afford NOT to start with a trainer. That Cloud Dancer won't last 1 minute if you're a rookie pilot. Why waste the money on it. You'll most likely destroy it.

Set it aside. Save it for the future.

Find a flying club. Get a trainer. Learn to fly with an instructor. Use the Cloud Dancer as your 2nd or 3rd plane.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:54 AM
farleys04

Ok Well I understand a trainer is what I need to get and I will start looking on rcu but I am still wanting to have the cloud dancer rtf. Thanks for your advice. Also not sure if this will help but I have flown helis for a while and I am a pretty good pilot so that outta help me out a little. I hope
Old 03-02-2008, 06:39 AM
Falco5

that is good advice from RCpilot. Six months ago I returned to the hobby after a break of 25 years. When I was active then, I flew 40 pylon & 60 aerobatic models. I made the big mistake of trying to start again with a Big Ugly Stik with a 61 on board...It frightened the living daylights out o me. I have now reverted to a 40 size trainer and will stay there till I get up to speed again.
Take the advice from the RCU members who have had years of experience in the hobby...It will be better on your pocket as well as your nerves. Goods Luck.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:32 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Ok Well I understand a trainer is what I need to get and I will start looking on rcu but I am still wanting to have the cloud dancer rtf. Thanks for your advice. Also not sure if this will help but I have flown helis for a while and I am a pretty good pilot so that outta help me out a little. I hope
Yes, if you have flown helis, that is a big difference. The Cloud Dancer is an excellent plane, it's just not designed, structurally to take the sometimes harsh treatment a trainer routinely gets. If you can buddy box with an instructor, you have a good chance for success. If you are truly on your own, the CD may be short lived. Best of luck!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:52 PM
farleys04

I have taken the advice from all of the rcu members that are helping me out and I am looking for a trainer. But right now I am trying to have the cloud dancer rtf. I have an idea for an engine I am not sure what kind of servos go in an airplane. Also i need new landing gear and have no idea what to buy for it. Thanks again for all your guys help. Shaun
Old 03-04-2008, 12:20 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

probably could use standard servos that come with a 6 channel radio on that plane. on the landing gear you can probably hunt through tower and see if the original gear are still available. most likely it had wire gear in the wings. ps just looked and tower doesnt have this plane listed or parts for replacement. and you could get a thundertiger 60 that would be cheap and would work in this plane or even a super tiger 61.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:36 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Here is the manual for the cloud dancer 60 ARF. you will be able to see what the landing gear looks like.
http://www.modelflight.com.au/manual...uddancer60.pdf
Standard servos will be good, but if the budget allows it a digital sport servo like the Futaba 3152 would be better
Old 03-05-2008, 02:09 AM
farleys04

AWESOME Thank You very much. Also just to let everyone know the first time this aircraft flies it will be with a trainer and a buddy box so I should have many succesful flights. Thanks for everyone help....Shaun
Old 03-05-2008, 05:30 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Good luck Shaun, Post some pics when she's ready.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:05 PM
farleys04

Definitely Will do... THANKS GUYS