Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Mid Star Motor Swap

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Mid Star Motor Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mid Star Motor Swap

I have a Sig Mid Star that had a Saito 56. That motor has moved on to another underpowered model. In its place I have a Saito 91 I'd like to use. The aircraft has had a 60 in it at one point by a previous owner. Anyone else do something similar? Any foreseeable problems? It is a taildragger with fiberglass struts on a Hitec Optic 6 system. The ailerons were enlarged by the previous owner. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Revy

Default RE: Mid Star Motor Swap

Thread is useless w/o pics, so here we go...

Mid star w/ Saito 56

[link]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp356/jbzburke/DSCN2315.jpg[/link]

Now its in the new Slo-Poke

[link]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp356/jbzburke/DSCN2336.jpg[/link]

Here is what I came up with for the Saito 91

[link]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp356/jbzburke/DSCN2333.jpg[/link]

[link]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp356/jbzburke/DSCN2334.jpg[/link]
Old 07-09-2009, 10:37 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that a Mid Star would be crazy fast and go straight up with a Saito .72 on it. That Saito .91 shoud be over the top!

Let us know how you like.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Revy

Everything seems to be "right" with the set-up. Balances nicely and there is a crazy amount of torque. Just wondering on a prop. The 91's range is 12x8 - 15x4. I'm kinda in the middle with a 13x8 but have 12x8, 14X4, 14x6, and 14x8. I'll start out using 15% and adjust accordingly.

One other thing...I'm programming flaperons w a little elevator mix and using for the first time. I'm having a Tim Taylor moment...
Old 07-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Revy

Well holy smokes! Does this thing haul like striped apes! The 13x8 provided plenty of speed and a tonne more torque than the 56. Easing into it, take off was all of 30 ft! The flaps made this thing just about as slow on approach as my un-trimmed slo poke! E/F mixing was amazing addition. I didn't get the vertical I wanted but I'll prop it out till I get there. A highly recommended swap if you asked me! I'm having fun with this thing again!
Old 07-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Revy

The one other story here is the Slo-Poke...with that Saito .56 it will hover for a couple of seconds after stall out in a vert climb. I can't wait to try 25%!! May have to figure out a different aileron set up for it, lol.

Edit: For the Mid Star, 14x8 is the winning prop on 25%!!! This thing is ballistic. Way more responsive on all control surfaces too. With landing profile that I programmed, this thing is a beaut, 3 point landings constantly in no to calm winds.

Slo-poke isn't so slow with that 25% either!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Revy

Tragedy struck this weekend. Got RFI and nosed it into terra firma on its side at a 60* angle full throttle by the sounds of it. Had to be doin' 80 mph as it came down from altitude, three crashes high! Saito needs new pushrods and maybe a new crank.

We have had this happen before at our field. We think it has something to do with our proximity to the generating station 2 miles away.

Time to finally put the CG Ultimate on the build table while I go get a 2.4 radio.