Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Good plane for OS Wankel?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Good plane for OS Wankel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:58 AM
longdan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good plane for OS Wankel?

I have an OS Wankel rotary engine and really want to fly it. I'm looking for a cheap(ish) ARF to put it in.
Ive been looking at these:
[link=http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/products/airplanedetails.php?airplaneid=21]World Models Aircombat Series[/link]

I reckon they are just about the right size for the Wankel. I know it would need some beefing up in a few places.

Another one I was looking at was the Hanger 9 Super Stick, but it seems pretty heavy.

Anyone got any input on a good plane? I just want something that will go together quickly and be a decent match for the engine for general sport flying.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:51 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts
Default RE: Good plane for OS Wankel?

I had the orginal OS Wankel on a Midwest Sweet Stik. Try a .40 Ungly Stik if you can't find the Sweet Stik.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:59 PM
flying pastor

I have owned an Aircombat and I think that it would be a bit too small. In the World Models range you could look at the Skyranger Mach 2 (low wing) or the Super Sports 30 which is a quite pretty and light model. I have one of these that I converted to electric and it flies very well.
All the best.....Chris UK.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:44 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

That World Models Extra Sports 30 would be my pick. There's no reason to put such a nice engine in plain airframe, even if you're trying to keep the cost down:

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=58

Old 06-05-2010, 03:39 AM
CustomPC

Great Planes make a .25 sized GP/EP P-47 Thuderbolt that would be ideal for the Wankel.

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1479.html
Old 06-08-2010, 02:10 AM
longdan

ORIGINAL: CustomPC

Great Planes make a .25 sized GP/EP P-47 Thuderbolt that would be ideal for the Wankel.

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1479.html
Yeah I've thought about one of the GP combat planes. I have the Combat Corsair and seriously thought about mounting the Wankel in that, but I'm not sure how good the cooling would be with the engine inside a cowl. This engine needs a lot of airflow around it to keep it cool. It would have meant either cutting some big cooling holes in the cowl (the cowl has already been repaired a couple of times) or running it with the cowl off and that would just look wrong on one of these cool planes.

Another one that has caught my eye is the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1086]Wingman II[/link].
It would need some beefing up, but its about the size of plane I think would suit this engine. The [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_guide/kitprofile.cfm?kit_id=2979]World Models Skyraider II[/link] (which the Wingman II is very similar to) looks a bit big.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58718.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1449925  
Old 06-08-2010, 01:45 PM
cpt nj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim Hensen Ind makes the Fozzy Bearcat this engine would be perfect for ,because when you start it it goes Waca Waca Wankel. Sorry i"m bored.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:16 PM
gchdavid

I have an OS Wankel on the back of a smallish F-16 pusher jet...pretty strong flier...Im using a 9x6 prop cut down to 8" for clearance...it loves to spin..

For ballistic aerobatics I would put a wankel on this:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/newyak543dfu.html

Best regards,

Chris
Old 07-09-2010, 08:38 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

I flew a Wankel with a loose fitted round cowl on a Four Star 40. Neat radial engine look in front.

Flew great, especially when I goosed the power for a vertical maneuver. Revs up very fast. (Used a wood 9 by 5 prop.)

Gas hog though. Did manage to get a round 10 oz tank crammed in.

Tom
Old 12-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Guys,
I've the OS Wankel in a Liddle Stick (Larry Leonard rendition from RCM plans)...hauls serious tail feathers...and goes up with a vengence. The Wankel drinks fuel like a drunken sailer...so no matter what airframe you use...stick at least an 8 oz. fuel tank in the model. What I find unusual with the Wankel is that the engine has almost no lag in run up from a dead idle to full power. It will go from idle to full power in a heart beat...and has an unusual sound. The engines are getting a bit expensive, but for such a most unusual engine.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 PM
fun2fly

I had a Wankel on a Tower Hobbies Uproar.. boy would she move....
Old 01-24-2011, 10:07 AM
gbman
My Feedback: (4)

A guy in our club flies a Freedom 20 with an OS Wankel on the front. This kit is very simple to put together, and seems to be a perfect match for this engine.