Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

Full Page AD's

Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

Full Page AD's

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 11:13 AM
MikeChilson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Page AD's

Mark,

New site looks really good! However I must take exception to the business descision to FORCE full page ads on non-subscribers. I design commercial websites for a living and I can tell you (as I'm sure you know) the importance of the the user experience. I completely understand the economics of running a site this size. But aggravating your users with this behavior is an unacceptible commerial practice IMHO.

The given revinue stream for full page ads is not a profitable method of advertising capital. The typical full page ad plays out like this...
1. You sell a full page ad
2. You aggravate your users
3. User stop coming to site
4. advertiser drops full page ad

You have accomplished two things:
1. Aggravated your user experience/lost users
2. Lost advertising revenue

I hope you will consider these points I have mentioned. It is pretty frustrating to see six ads (that's including new products) on the first page and then on the way to your forums get hit with a full page ad.

Would you appreciate that? There is a fine line in web advertising and I believe you guys have crossed it. BTW... This is EXACTLY the reason I would not use RCAirport but would use RCU..

Thanks for your consideration!
Old 09-08-2003, 11:18 AM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Default RE: Full Page AD's

Hi Mike

Thanks for you comments. We did revise the original plan and everyone has the ability to change the frequency of these ads showing up by simply clicking "Skip all ads". You can set the frequency to 100 if you like.

Thanks
Erick Royer
RCUniverse.com
Old 09-08-2003, 01:25 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MikeChilson

Mark,

New site looks really good! However I must take exception to the business descision to FORCE full page ads on non-subscribers. I design commercial websites for a living and I can tell you (as I'm sure you know) the importance of the the user experience. I completely understand the economics of running a site this size. But aggravating your users with this behavior is an unacceptible commerial practice IMHO.

The given revinue stream for full page ads is not a profitable method of advertising capital. The typical full page ad plays out like this...
1. You sell a full page ad
2. You aggravate your users
3. User stop coming to site
4. advertiser drops full page ad

You have accomplished two things:
1. Aggravated your user experience/lost users
2. Lost advertising revenue

I hope you will consider these points I have mentioned. It is pretty frustrating to see six ads (that's including new products) on the first page and then on the way to your forums get hit with a full page ad.

Would you appreciate that? There is a fine line in web advertising and I believe you guys have crossed it. BTW... This is EXACTLY the reason I would not use RCAirport but would use RCU..

Thanks for your consideration!

some users insist on using ad blockers. how do you deal with that?

users can change to one in every 100 views on full page ads.

users can pay $20 for an entire year to remove them, get unlimited classified listings and no insertion fees on auctions plus a free magazine. A decent value proposition. If a user does not want to upgrade then seeing a full page ad once every 100 pages is reasonable I feel especially based upon user feedback in our recent poll. The site is still free and the cost to maintain and develop this is huge. Advertising is not a winfall on the internet anymore as you know being in the business.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:44 PM
MikeChilson

Marc (sorry for the spelling in the first post),

Thanks for the quick reply. I know you are hammered with streamlining thing today.

I don't think you can deal with AD blockers. I know your to busy to get into a deep discussion about user experiences so we can save that for another time.

I completely understand the issues you are dealing with I just think there are other ways to generate revenue without having to resort to full page ads IMHO.

I appreaciate all the effort you guys have put into the site and hope it does well but I have to tell you (for what it is worth) that it will definately affect my time spent here.

I do not use the classifieds and auctions so the only thing I would be getting out of a paying membership would be no ads... humm...

Anyway, just wanted to give you some feedback froma humble user!

Good luck,
Old 09-08-2003, 06:06 PM
easysport

Having to eyeball an ad every 100 posts is a small price to pay for all the free info that we get here.If anyone thinks differently just try and get it elsewhere it just doesnt exist period!
The only thing I wish about this is that they were popup Ads so I could close the window instead of having to use the back arrow and wait for reload.