Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

Selling Keywords

Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

Selling Keywords

Old 03-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Debonair
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling Keywords

I just got an e-mail about how they are going to auction off keywords on this site, so that whenever your mouse cursor
is over a keyword that has been bought by the highest bidder it pops up another box with their ad in it.
I guess the are so destitute here they have to come up with another annoying method to make money.

JEEZZ, can't I just browse in peace?????????

I am so blasted tired of advertising being shoved in my face, I could just blow a gasket.

Maybe I am the exception here, but If I want to buy something, I have NO trouble finding it.

First it was junk mail, then spam e-mail, next pop up ads, then pop under ads,
NOW LITTLE FLOATING BUBBLES FOLLOWING MY CURSOR?

I hope other users see this and deluge RCU with negative e-mail about this practice.

If you don't complain about it, it won't change.

Dennis
Old 03-09-2004, 07:51 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Selling Keywords

I've always supported RCU's different ideas on how to generate revenue. There were some clunkers, like full-page ads, and some that I thought were well thought out, like classified ads as banners. If this is what I think it is, it's a definite clunker. Am I really going to have to be cautious about where I move my mouse while reading RCU, lest some unwanted text appears (it's not a pop-up, it's a mouse over!) where I'm reading? Or that if I inadvertently click on it (some people have learned to click to make things go away) I'll be redirected off the thread I'm reading? Those seem really, really poorly thought out.

Advertising is great when it's designed to draw your attention. It's poor when it's designed to distract you.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We'll have to see how 'saturated' RCU becomes with the keyword links and whether that creates the distraction we all hate in online advertising, or whether it's a welcome addition to easily access more information on a product being discussed? I don't think it will be as intrusive as one may think as we've already utilized the 'mouse over' technology elsewhere on RCU with great success, but time will tell whether it's liked within the forums or not.

I do see a huge benefit for the business who can't afford to get the word out through banner ads, or if I as a member am selling something in the Marketplace. Everytime someone says Giles, it would link to my airplane ad or business website... I like that idea as a hobbiest or business.

Keyword Linking Announcement -
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...599&tostyle=tm
Old 03-09-2004, 11:09 PM
mvigod
Banned

This has already been used on some MAJOR technology sites with very much success. I thought of it very early on a long time ago but was not the first to implement it. If the other sites are a benchmark for success and acceptance for this practice it will be just fine. This has been implemented very carefully on the site so it is present but not obtrusive or annoying.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:28 PM
MikeL

Are there restrictions upon which words can be utilized? If there aren't, "the," "a," "I," and so on are going to be problematic.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:39 PM
mvigod
Banned

oh yes...words are ALL approved by only myself and michael. we won't approve generic words like "the" or even "rubber bands" or "silicone". things should be fairly specific like brand names or specific products. if you mouse over the link nothing will fly up unless you hold your mouse there a bit too. This is unlike our instant tooltips in the marketplace which we use as a help tool for users.

we also limit how many can appear in a single post along with other controls. typically when we code something michael and I scope it then overscope it 100x. On the oddball chance we miss something we fix it up within hours typically.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Chris 540

Old 03-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Sorry, it was annoying. The popups can be eliminated with a popup blocker such as the Google toolbar.I have had the toolbar even before I joined RCU, so I don't know anything about the popups. Yet the little links regarding to the text is pretty annoying.

Another annoying part is the e-b-a-y problem. A lot of us on RCU want the BEST deal. It is a pain when the best deal that others try to tell you have meseed up E-b-a-y problems. We have to type e-b-a-y in order to be seen as E-b-a-y.

Thanks!

PS How do we register as moderator?
Old 03-12-2004, 08:02 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Yup. Really makes sense that Dave Patrick Models points you to rcu keywords. If Dave Patrick doesn't buy it do you sell to his competition? If so, that is not marketing it is coercion. Oh and Ebay.com doesn't go to ebay does it?. Good luck with the new venture. I'm smarter than that and so are most of the users of this site.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:01 AM
mvigod
Banned

Dave Patrick can buy the dave patrick keyword or anybody who sells his products can buy it. A user selling a Dave Patrick product in our marketplace can buy it and point to his auction or classified. It will not point to an unrelated product. It may point to all Dave Patrick products in our guide. Hope that answers your question.

as far as the other auction site it has been our rule for years that no links to that site are allowed. nothing has changed so nothing new there other than some automation to help our mods police it.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:08 AM
JimTrainor

I think a little frame, or area, on the edge of the post where automatically generated links appear would be preferable.

Also, no links to "this page for rent". Just working links. That would be useful.

That would be similar to what google does with their sponsored links that appear on the right side of the browser window.