Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

Shipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 12:26 AM
deacon03
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping

Hi, seems to me that lately there are a lot of adds for "local" pickup only. RCU has a large membership. It should be possible for RCU to negotiate some sort of contract with FED EX or another carrier. Most Giant scale ARFS are shipped Fed EX with little or no incident. Sellers with a little effort should be able to "break down" a model for shipping, even if it takes two or three parcels. Insurance for shipping should be available based on our number of sales---(total of ALL member sales) We are a club--and clubs do get discounts--even if an annual fee might be incurred. It just seems to be a shame that sellers have to accept less--to gardner a local sale---and buyers cannot avail themselves of an item they badly want because of local pick up only. Perhaps there should be a new category for "local pickup only" instead of including the adds with regular classifieds--that way buyers won"t be disappointed when they find the plane they want--- only to discover it takes an expedition to aquire it. Just don't become an ebay that enlists the services of shippers that cost more than the items value. Half the fun in this hobby is the quest, and the other half getting that new bird in the air.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:20 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shipping

A laudable suggestion. It's difficult to negotiate a bulk deal because individual members are not bound to the same shipper, contract etc. Nonetheless, we will try to make inroads here. Last year, I contacted UPS about a similar arrangement and they said the volume was not large enough or dependable enough.

Regarding the local pickup, we could certainly put a filter in that filters out items for local pickup only, but that would only add to the numerous filters we currently have that guys just ignore. We had more than 40 members tell us they had no idea we had auctions!!! I'm sure those members will miss the extra filter as well.

My suggestion is to simply mouse over the item when you are viewing the list of items in the category you are browsing. You'll see the shipping message immediately without having to click into the ad.