Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

moderating the Moderators

Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

moderating the Moderators

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:15 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moderating the Moderators

Last night, a post in this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4931163/tm.htm was removed along with mine when I questioned what had happened to the deleted post. Then the thread was locked. The person only posted from personal experience with a particular brand of turbine and stated that although he has eight of them, he will probably not purchase any more from that company. It was not deragatory and he stated legitimate reasons why he wouldn't buy that brand anymore.

Your free speech policy is not being adhered to in this case for sure. Where do we get to voice our concerns on this without being deleted? For the first time I realize what it feels like to be censored for speaking the truth. So is there a particular place on RCU to voice complaints? Thanks.

Marty
Old 11-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: moderating the Moderators

afterburner......Maybe the time has come when we need a moderator, to moderate the moderators, that moderate us. Bob
Old 11-01-2006, 12:41 PM
afterburner

Bob,
Obviously that's not going to work but what I was really looking for was a place on RCU where we can discuss this without our posts being deleted as long as there's no profanity being used or someone who can be emailed and can review the CENSORSHIP that is going on. The person who was deleted, posted another topic in the jets forum to discuss his point and that post was deleted within five minutes. I really never thought about it when someone deletes your post until it happened to me. You can't vent because no one will hear you.

Marty
Old 11-01-2006, 12:59 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

All actions by moderators are subject to review by higher levels including Community moderators, Senior moderators, and even the RCU admins. Actions taken by moderators are in general private between the person who authored the post and the moderator. Likewise are any discussions about these actions. If you have a concern about the actions of the moderator, you can try discussing it with them. If you feel you're not getting a satisfactory answer, contact a Community or Senior moderator. They will review the situation and take appropriate action.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:59 PM
afterburner

Gotcha. Thanks.

Marty
Old 11-01-2006, 03:40 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Chuck is right on the money. All of us moderators have to answer to "a higher authority" too. And trust me, they don't always back up somebody just because they are a moderator. RCU has removed moderators in the past because of their actions in the forums. If you are having problems they you can report it to any of the following people as they will look into the situation and take action if need be: Marc (RCAdmin - one of the RCU owners), Nathan (Plane Insane - RCU Administrator), Eric (Depfife - RCU Senior administrator), Howard (Lightfoot - Forums Moderator), Mike (Minnflyer - Community Moderator). Any of these people can help you out in a situation like this.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 11-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

RCU is a place where you can discuss your concerns about a product. We encourage it. The problem is when those concerns are discussed as accusations and are not substantiated with factual data. In those cases the moderators need to try and protect the individual and/or entity being discussed.

As mentioned, if you ever feel a moderator did something they shouldn't have done, you may send me a PM and I will check it out. The Moderators don't get every decision right every time as they are in fact human, but they do try very hard to be consistent and accurate in their actions. When you feel they're not, feel free to send me a message.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:12 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and I'll add...thanks for venting! we're all listening even if we don't post on every comment.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:38 PM
afterburner

Thanks guys,
I think there was some bad blood between the mod and the member previously. If it was someone else posting the same exact thing, it would probably still be there but enough said. I now know where to go if a similar situation arises. Thanks.

Marty