Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

DELETE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON YOUR OWN POST

Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

DELETE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON YOUR OWN POST

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:10 PM
sticktickler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DELETE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON YOUR OWN POST

I truly believe RCU should follow You-Tube with regarding the ability to delete negative and hostile ranting posts on you own thread in the forums. Yes I know we have moderators but often things get way out of hand with inflamed and off topic discussion before a moderator acts. The thread author often feels the need to defend his point of view with a retort which usually offends the negative individual even more then sparks fly. Moreover with new product announcements threads I have seen some negative post bashing my products. I have even seen other companies pushing their items on my product announcement thread. That is just plain rude and totally unethical. Why not let the thread author delete these negative post on our own threads. Going to the next level as You -Tube does, RCU could also allow thread authors to block those individuals from any further post on that specific thread.

My You-Tube threads are not a free democracy to speak ones personal view points and complaints. It is a focused dictatorship totally run and censored by me the author. I control the information which is all positive, polite and informative anything less I simply delete no arguments or off topic rants. I feel that would preserve the integrity of the thread and all the positive information it contains, thus becoming more enjoyable to read. Who wants page after page of two hostile apposing view points, I can get that on C-Span all day long.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DELETE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON YOUR OWN POST

It's a concept that works for YouTube because it's a video website, not a social discussion platform like RCU. The nature of editing ones own posts/threads creates a more hostile environment and eventually people will be less likely to post at all because if the thread author doesn't like the comment it will be removed, whether it violates any of RCU's community policies or not. Having moderators mediate helps foster civil interaction and community growth through cordial discussion; That makes it more fun for everyone.

Should one of your threads have posts violating the rules, click the REPORT link in that post and a moderator will come in and clean it up. Sometimes they catch it themselves, other times they need the members help.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:31 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Additionally a single member may have a totally different delete/edit set of rules then another member.  This would hamper our activity as nobody would know what would cause any member to delete their post and as a result would be less inclined to comment due to this vagary

Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 PM
sticktickler

ORIGINAL: Nathan

It's a concept that works for YouTube because it's a video website, not a social discussion platform like RCU.
Your statement is not totally factual. You-Tube also has a comment section which is very much like an open forum for view points. I often find some views offensive so they get the boot. I also find some posts on my threads here on RCU offensive which may not violate any RCU rules, wishing I could boot them as well. As the author one should have the right to make that choice him self to remove that offending post from your authored thread. After all it is his thread IMO it should be his choice who or what he wants posted within it period.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:48 PM
sticktickler

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

Additionally a single member may have a totally different delete/edit set of rules then another member.
Agreed but knowing we all have the same delete option levels the playing field and keeps everyone on point and respectful. This is a win win IMO I see it as a huge benefit to a great site. Take a tip from You-Tube power to the people You-Tube rocks.