Community
Search
Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

ST G-51 from early 90's

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 11:15 PM
MicFarlow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST G-51 from early 90's

AnnMarie,

Thanks so much for your posting on tuned pipes.

I have a ST G-51 from the early 90's that has had very little use. The exhaust pipe is the last frontier for me with this engine. I need to explain.

I did not originally purchase the engine so I was unable to do or supervise any break-in period, if there was any. As a result, I'm a little concerned about the engine, especially in the transition. I have used the practices suggested here for tuning the carb and have the bottom-end and top-end setup up well. (I think) When I go to full throttle from idle, there is hesitation and it seems to take a second or so for the top end to come in and stay in. This seems to get worse the longer it idles. I tried turning the idle bar a little off of center, but that didn't help much. It seems to run well at any position I leave it at, but the transition is not where I think it can be.

So, here are my questions.

1) The muffler style is one with the exhaust stack off the manifold with a muffler that slides back and forth. I have it set roughly in the middle. Will the procedure in your post help in the transition any?

2) Since I was not present for the original firing and running of this engine, I'm wondering if there is a "second chance" of sorts for breaking in this engine? It probably has around 2 gallons of fuel through it in total. On the subject of break-in, what if any, are recommended procedures for breaking in these smaller ST's?

3) What fuel and nitro content are recommended, as well as glow plug?

4) What is the recommended prop sizes for this engine?

I love this engine and really want to get it running well in the transition. I am open to any suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks,
Old 05-14-2002, 10:49 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST G-51 from early 90's

Good morning, Mick!

First, please realize that engines in the 80s-early 90s weren't expected to have superb mid ranges. If you could transition cleanly from idle to WFO where the engine never quits, even if it coughs a tad, that was considered excellent performance. So your little engine MAY be giving you all it has.

Yes, playing with pipe length, giving up a little top end to get a cleaner mid range, may very well assist you.

As far as props etc, the small supertigres like standard fuels with at least 18% oil, preferably a mix of castor and synth, and this little engine seems to really like 10x6 and 10x7 props. I personally use OS #8 plugs in ALL of my 2stroke engines and couldn't be happier with them.