Community
Search
Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

ST 51 Loads up at idle, poor midrange

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 12:44 AM
cracker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST 51 Loads up at idle, poor midrange

Dear Bax,
I bought a G51 last year and finally got to run it in a Sig Kougar. I have been having some problems with the engine.

1. The idle is adequate as long as it doesn't idle too long, it loads up upon opening throttle. I rev slightly to keep this from killing engine.
2. The engine has an extremely rich transition from idle to full throttle.

I have adjusted it according to the thread posted here in this forum. The spray bar is fwd 45 degrees with the throttle open. The HS Setting I currently have is 2 1/2 turns, LS Setting is 5 1/2 Turns, Prop 11x6, Fuel Sig 10%, RPM 13170 which is still rich. Can you give me a better(more accurate #) for the LS Setting?

The engine is great but I have to come in Hot for fear the throttle will load up if I have to go around. I would appreciate any help. Thanks
Old 08-19-2002, 03:32 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ST 51 Loads up at idle, poor midrange

Cracker,

We don't run the G51 with the spraybar rotated so far forward. We start with it straight down. The idle needle is set so that it one-half way or less across the slot in the spraybar when the throttle's opened to full.

Get the high-speed needle adjusted first, and then the idle mixture. We usually wind up with a high-speed setting about 1-1/2 turns or so, plus or minus a bit.

Basically, start out with the idle needle hopelessly rich, set the top end, and then go for the bottom.

You should be able to find a good setting that will allow a very nice idle and transition.

We hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.)

DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the information helpful and valuable to you.

Sincerely,

Bill Baxter, Manager
Hobby Services
1610 Interstate Dr.
Champaign, IL 61822
USA

Phone: 217 398-0007
Fax: 217 398-7721
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.bestrc.com