Community
Search
Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

Large Fuel Tubing on a ST 3000

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 05:04 PM
Mendes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Large Fuel Tubing on a ST 3000

I have seen many people recommend using large fuel tubing and a large clunk with the larger Super Tigre engines. I am in the process of breaking in a ST 3000 and all is going well (easiest starting engine I have ever had) I used medium fuel tubing and haven't seen any reason to go to the large. I have 4 tanks through it, idles great, transitions beautifully, great power etc... etc...

What's the deal? Will problems occur in the air if I don't go with the larger tubing? The nipple on the carb is definately for medium fuel tubing, wouldn't it be a bottle neck if I went with large tubing?

Thanks for any replies.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:45 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please see the other thread i just started on feeding big tigres...

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Services and Support
Great Planes Model Distributors
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER
Old 04-18-2002, 10:20 PM
THE TAILBACKER

Most of us who have big Super Tigers generally complain about the midrange transistion. This is the area where your flying around at half throttle and decide to throttle up and the engine farts, spits, cry's and whines or worse---quits.
There are many words of wisdom on this and here is the list.

1. Run larger tubing all around.
2. Drill out the clunk
3. Run a hotter plug.
4. Possible pump
5. Prop?
6. Glow driver
7. Fuel type.
8. Plug one of the exhausts.

Many pilots out there are doing this to a "brand new engine!" If you need all this, junk it!

There are a few more. Now I agree 110% that these modifications can improve the engines performance. I totally disagree that any of it will cure the midrange problem. I believe the only cure for the midrange is to change to a different brand of carburator.
If you have no problem and the engine runs fine, don't fool with it.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:46 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Tailbacker,
The ST line is intended to be sport engines with a great price tag and superb high end power. They are NOT intended to compete with engines three times their price tag which focus on competition style performance such as perfect midrange. The 2300 is a perfect example of this. For the average sport pilot, who is not asking this engine to perform in torque rolls and other "long mid range run then punch it" situations, the engine is a superb performer. For those who want the mid range performance as well as all the power this engine offers, they have the choice of adding a pump using our directions -- which DOES make the G2300 a superb performer on midrange -- or paying 3 times the money and buying the other brand engine which will give them the same high end power AND the ideal mid range performance.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:50 PM
THE TAILBACKER

Okay, I am not an IMACC flyer. I am more on the speed area. The closest I come to that is the Sig Cap and another similar running the 3250. The engine is great. I have not bad mouthed this engine at all. It is very powerful and I am happy with it. But my "general" flying around brought out the midrange problem which i fixed by changing carbs. It is now a better engine. 2 years ago when this all came up, I suckerd myself into performing all that extra maintenence and it was a waste of time. If someone is having a problem, chances are a carb change will fix it sweet and simple.