Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 02:45 AM
ingleburn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well they say respect your elders but Brian is younger than me but I should have listened.

Ive been trying to sort out a camera mount for the quad and Brian told me to go with his design which was ear plugs glued between 2 solid plates.

Well I had the plates but no ear plugs so rather than drive to the hardware store and get some I tried everything else first.

1 layer of foam. No good
2 layers of foam. Worse.
3 layers of foam. Terrible.
ZYX foam. Slightly better.
ZYX foam with a velcro strap. Almost passable.
Hot glue the fuc****** straight to the frame. Pretty good but not perfect.

So I grab my keys to go get some ear plugs and my boarder tells me he has some he thinks.

Yep he had 4 so out to the shed and fashion a mount using the plugs and when finished I kid you not, I laughed my head off and said this is going to be the worst one yet.
Go out and take a test video with the Mobius using 720p 60fps and 1080p 30fps and would you believe it, beautiful.
Its ugly as sin, dont know why or how but should have saved myself 3 hours and listened to my old pal Brian.
The pics show a #16 on the mount but it was still a bit wavey. Replaced it with the Mobius and all good.
Tomorrow the lights are going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beTrq9pjnvI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KScEn7G2MbI
Old 10-09-2013, 02:55 AM
rikybob

Originally Posted by ingleburn
Well they say respect your elders but Brian is younger than me but I should have listened.

Ive been trying to sort out a camera mount for the quad and Brian told me to go with his design which was ear plugs glued between 2 solid plates.

Well I had the plates but no ear plugs so rather than drive to the hardware store and get some I tried everything else first.

1 layer of foam. No good
2 layers of foam. Worse.

So I grab my keys to go get some ear plugs and my boarder tells me he has some he thinks.

Yep he had 4 so out to the shed and fashion a mount using the plugs and when finished I kid you not, I laughed my head off and said this is going to be the worst one yet.
Go out and take a test video with the Mobius using 720p 60fps and 1080p 30fps and would you believe it, beautiful.
Its ugly as sin, dont know why or how but should have saved myself 3 hours and listened to my old pal Brian.
The pics show a #16 on the mount but it was still a bit wavey. Replaced it with the Mobius and all good.

Great video, nice neighborhood and glad it worked.

If those ear plugs don't work (I think they are like the ones we use on the shooting range) the real soft orange 3m's are PERFECT but I didn't see any jello!

All the best!

b
Old 10-09-2013, 03:41 AM
ahamay

1 layer of foam. No good
2 layers of foam. Worse.

Holy ****... your flatmate must have big ears.. those plugs look huge. Does the trick as the viddy is excellent.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:05 AM
rikybob

Hiya Jonesy!!

Enjoyed your last viddy immensely!

I went back to ALL my YouTube subscriptions and clicked the little settings wheel next to the "subscribe" button to email me when my favorites post a viddy. DUH!

All the best!

b
Old 10-09-2013, 10:54 AM
rikybob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZsZO6Ft-m8&feature=youtu.be
Old 10-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Kozzy_98

The mount seems to be working great!

So its basically earplugs hotglued to 2 plates?

Also how is the keychain cam mounted to the plate?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:55 AM
rikybob

Originally Posted by Kozzy_98

Enjoy!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:58 PM
ahamay

Howdy... well all the planets aligned yesterday which allowed me to finally maiden the quad with the APM 2.5 board. Everything went off without a problem (mostly) and overall it was a great success. The Arducopter software has a bunch of flight modes and settings which I"m going to have to spend a while testing but the GPS and Return the Launch feature is worth it alone.

Fist vid is just the last calibration test I had to do for the compass, then come final checks with the flight modes and failsafe and then the maiden. Second flight was to test the RTL switch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMOM6zf6wcs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTJpQVEbHNw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtt1wAfhDMM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH_1-2CUsj8
Old 10-09-2013, 05:14 PM
ingleburn

Originally Posted by Kozzy_98

The #16 still had to much jello so Im using the Mobius now and I just screwed the mounting bracket to the top plate. Ill post some pics and new videos later

Theres a warning when using the Mobius as well. The first time I turned it on before connecting the flight battery and one of the motors wouldnt spin up.
Disconnected and reconnected the flight battery and the same motor still didnt spin. Kept the board powered up and turned off the Mobius and guess what. Motor spun up.
Tried to replicate it a few times but no more glitch. Got me a bit worried and will keep a good eye on it for a while.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:18 PM
ingleburn

Originally Posted by ahamay
Howdy... well all the planets aligned yesterday which allowed me to finally maiden the quad with the APM 2.5 board. Everything went off without a problem (mostly) and overall it was a great success. The Arducopter software has a bunch of flight modes and settings which I"m going to have to spend a while testing but the GPS and Return the Launch feature is worth it alone.

Fist vid is just the last calibration test I had to do for the compass, then come final checks with the flight modes and failsafe and then the maiden. Second flight was to test the RTL switch.

[video=youtube;FMOM6zf6wcs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMOM6zf6wcs[/vide

[video=youtube;HTJpQVEbHNw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTJpQVEbHNw[/video
[video=youtube;qtt1wAfhDMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtt1wAfhDMM[/vide

[video=youtube;KH_1-2CUsj8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH_1-2CUsj8[/vide

Comments on YT Jonesy. Looked great and cant wait for you to test more of the features.

Yeah the earplugs work well but still a slight bit of jello when in 1080p..Brian suggested some better earplugs so just ordered some from ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=200935270005
Old 10-09-2013, 05:25 PM
rikybob

Nice Parasol!

Glad it went well and waiting for mine and your "knob" version of a "how to"!

b
Old 10-10-2013, 04:01 AM
ingleburn

Hi guys. Just got back from work and the test videos are done. 1080p still has some jello but getting some Brian approved earplugs to see if I can take the last bit out.

Also some updated pics of the mount with Mobius attached.
Warning. If you are going to use a Mobius make sure you put some foam under the camera mounting bracket otherwise it is near impossible to remove your Mobius once its seated in place.
The 2 lugs that hold the camera in place need to be able to bend down slightly to release the camera. I didnt use foam on the first try and had to push so hard when the camera finally came off it shot straight across the room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=265uX9uI0RM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0teN1lQL0o
Old 10-10-2013, 10:53 AM
rikybob

Hi guys. Just got back from work and the test videos are done. 1080p still has some jello but getting some Brian approved earplugs to see if I can take the last bit out.

Also some updated pics of the mount with Mobius attached.
Warning. If you are going to use a Mobius make sure you put some foam under the camera mounting bracket otherwise it is near impossible to remove your Mobius once its seated in place.
The 2 lugs that hold the camera in place need to be able to bend down slightly to release the camera. I didnt use foam on the first try and had to push so hard when the camera finally came off it shot straight across the room.

Hiya Ingleburn!!

The viddy turned out GREAT!

Y'all are as flat as Florida where yer at!!!

b
Old 10-10-2013, 10:56 AM
rikybob

Cool morning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SToXiXteVGQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY5EMCsJGhU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiMjosn1-dI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v51CswVptwo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYqODNTY1WY
Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 PM
ingleburn

Looks like I have a few videos to catch up on Brian. Looks like your days off have been spent wisely.

As for me I took out the quad and the Tarot 450 today to do some flying myself.

Got the 450 out first and did a pre flight check only to discover one of the tail blade holders was loose on the hub.

Not a problem, get the tool kit out and tried to tighten it up. Big problem, the screw was snapped off at the hub.

The only thing holding it in was the control link. I always check the tail before each flight so it must have snapped on the last flight I had.

Lucky I picked it up because I dont think that link would have held it for long. A good reason to always do a pre flight check.

Last edited by ingleburn; 10-10-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:35 AM
mnemennth

A quick update from MOVING HELL...

We're officially residents of Victoria TX; I finished final cleaning & surrendered the keys last Monday AM. We have STILL hauled 3 truckloads here; the garage is stuffed as is half the house. We look like something out of that "Hoarders" reality TV show.

As a result of paying for all those trucks, we're so broke we can't pay attention; ISP will come next time one of us has a paycheck so I'm stuck visiting McD's as I am able, and most of that time has been spent doing survival-necessary research.

I've made a decision; I believe I'm going to start doing the Flea market for a while, try and reduce my storage footprint. Truth is, I already hate this town, and my recent discoveries about the "new work" available here have cemented that assessment. For more info, Google "FRACKING TEXAS"... yeah. We're right in the middle of THAT, and I have no doubt it's the reason all the water here tastes like mud.

I have no interest in my kids becoming a statistic in the next "Erin Brockovich" incident; all my efforts now are going into getting OUT of this place.

Brian -

For your first "large-scale" trainer, I'm going to suggest the Bixler 2 - it has better power, very forgiving flight due to the broad, polyhedral wing, and it has full elevator and aileron control surfaces; plus once you outgrow it as a trainer, it is one of the best aerial photography platforms out there - BAR NONE.

After much consideration, I've decided my next quad build will be an Armattan 258 with the Mystery 1520s or possibly some AeroDrives if I can afford 'em. Bob's prices for what is essentially an indestructible chassis are insaneIy cheap. I expect to start with the KK2.0 and some Super Simple Gimbal (Search RCG and you'll find it) action for my Mobius, and possibly even move into a micro BL gimbal once I go MultiWii.

OK; my battery's dying, so time to slide.

mnem
Dang Fn button is locked on...
Old 10-11-2013, 01:52 PM
rikybob

Originally Posted by mnemennth
A quick update from MOVING HELL...

We're officially residents of Victoria TX; I finished final cleaning & surrendered the keys last Monday AM. We have STILL hauled 3 truckloads here; the garage is stuffed as is half the house. We look like something out of that "Hoarders" reality TV show.

As a result of paying for all those trucks, we're so broke we can't pay attention; ISP will come next time one of us has a paycheck so I'm stuck visiting McD's as I am able, and most of that time has been spent doing survival-necessary research.

I've made a decision; I believe I'm going to start doing the Flea market for a while, try and reduce my storage footprint. Truth is, I already hate this town, and my recent discoveries about the "new work" available here have cemented that assessment. For more info, Google "FRACKING TEXAS"... yeah. We're right in the middle of THAT, and I have no doubt it's the reason all the water here tastes like mud.

I have no interest in my kids becoming a statistic in the next "Erin Brockovich" incident; all my efforts now are going into getting OUT of this place.

Brian -

For your first "large-scale" trainer, I'm going to suggest the Bixler 2 - it has better power, very forgiving flight due to the broad, polyhedral wing, and it has full elevator and aileron control surfaces; plus once you outgrow it as a trainer, it is one of the best aerial photography platforms out there - BAR NONE.

After much consideration, I've decided my next quad build will be an Armattan 258 with the Mystery 1520s or possibly some AeroDrives if I can afford 'em. Bob's prices for what is essentially an indestructible chassis are insaneIy cheap. I expect to start with the KK2.0 and some Super Simple Gimbal (Search RCG and you'll find it) action for my Mobius, and possibly even move into a micro BL gimbal once I go MultiWii.

OK; my battery's dying, so time to slide.

mnem
Dang Fn button is locked on...
Hiya Mnmmth!

Thought about yah this morning and glad to hear from you! Yah time to lighten your load at the flea market!

lI will look at the Bixler but steering toward the Trojan b/c of local support!

Hope you are able to move on to greener pastures!

All- Had a blast flying at the club today! I flew the slow stick for 1.5 hours total! What a hoot! Got some 500 time with upped agility and it was amazing! Enjoyed the quad as well!

Lounging at the Ritz Carlton ATM on wifes companies dime! I'll be putting on aires!

All the best!

B
Old 10-11-2013, 11:19 PM
ahamay

Comments on YT Jonesy. Looked great and cant wait for you to test more of the features.

Yeah the earplugs work well but still a slight bit of jello when in 1080p..Brian suggested some better earplugs so just ordered some from ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=200935270005
Just made up a mount for mine and tested it using these same plugs you got from ebay. Got mine from bunnings for about 7 bucks for 10 pairs.

I really happy with how the viddy turned out considering it was 35-40 knot winds here at the moment. I should not have been flying out the front of my house in that wind but I wanted to test the mount. I'll have to do another test when it's calmer.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:05 AM
ingleburn

Just made up a mount for mine and tested it using these same plugs you got from ebay. Got mine from bunnings for about 7 bucks for 10 pairs.

I really happy with how the viddy turned out considering it was 35-40 knot winds here at the moment. I should not have been flying out the front of my house in that wind but I wanted to test the mount. I'll have to do another test when it's calmer.

When you do the next test keep an eye on your GPS when the Mobius is recording. There are reports it interferes with the signal.

Its so funny that people are having trouble using the auto tune. Like you said wait for the official release and no problems.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 AM
ahamay

When you do the next test keep an eye on your GPS when the Mobius is recording. There are reports it interferes with the signal.

Its so funny that people are having trouble using the auto tune. Like you said wait for the official release and no problems.
Read about that. I checked it a few times before taking off and the GPS had a lock ok. I flicked it into loiter at one point and it was so windy it was loitering in about a 5m radius left and right as well as up and down...... or maby it was the mobius messing with the GPS
Old 10-12-2013, 12:16 PM
ingleburn

Read about that. I checked it a few times before taking off and the GPS had a lock ok. I flicked it into loiter at one point and it was so windy it was loitering in about a 5m radius left and right as well as up and down...... or maby it was the mobius messing with the GPS
Wow that doesnt sound right, even with wind. Maybe you should do a check with it hooked to the laptop so you can see what happens to the gps signal with it turned off compared to it turned on.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:05 PM
ahamay

This ****ing forum is still driving me nuts. I get random new post notifications, so unless I keep checking I don't know if there's something new. And when I do get a new post notification it takes to me to some random page about 5 pages back from the end of the thread which is really annoying when your on a smartphone and not your computer. Anyone else getting the same issues ? the random posts thing has been reported a gazillion times but it seems they have no priority to fix it.

RCGROUPS works flawlessly and it's 3 or 4 times faster than this site. This upgrade has fixed a lot of problems that the old forum had but now there are just as many new problems that are just as infuriating as before. I don't think I'll bother checking in here until they can fix it.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:55 PM
rikybob

This ****ing forum is still driving me nuts. I get random new post notifications, so unless I keep checking I don't know if there's something new. And when I do get a new post notification it takes to me to some random page about 5 pages back from the end of the thread which is really annoying when your on a smartphone and not your computer. Anyone else getting the same issues ? the random posts thing has been reported a gazillion times but it seems they have no priority to fix it.

RCGROUPS works flawlessly and it's 3 or 4 times faster than this site. This upgrade has fixed a lot of problems that the old forum had but now there are just as many new problems that are just as infuriating as before. I don't think I'll bother checking in here until they can fix it.
Testify Jonesy!!!!!

You intimated that we could shift over to RC Groups......do ya wanna table it?

b

Last edited by rikybob; 10-14-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:34 AM
ingleburn

Well it had to happen. Stripped down the quad for a make over. Added lights, a new motor and redid the wiring and camera mount.

Back to factory defaults and set it up again. First flight and I crashed it. Lost orientation and it went behind a tree and had to chop the throttle and hope for the best.

Luckily it landed in really long grass and no damage. A foot further and it would have hit a fence. Got to be lucky sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvkTLEU-dog
Old 10-14-2013, 02:56 AM
rikybob

Well it had to happen. Stripped down the quad for a make over. Added lights, a new motor and redid the wiring and camera mount.

Back to factory defaults and set it up again. First flight and I crashed it. Lost orientation and it went behind a tree and had to chop the throttle and hope for the best.

Luckily it landed in really long grass and no damage. A foot further and it would have hit a fence. Got to be lucky sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvkTLEU-dog
DOH!

Yah, it's really easy for me to lose orientation......that's why the H-Frame will eventually find it's way in to my stable!!

Glad it wasn't serious!

b

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.