Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

WHICH TREX?

Old 03-27-2006, 01:47 AM
twoturnspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHICH TREX?

Good people,

I'm looking to get into a elec heli for 'round the house type flying and the Trex units look good. There seems to be two models: the SE and XL. I would be very grateful for advise on which of these to choose or if there are new units coming out shortly. Presumably there are "needed" upgrades of components that would be preferable to get initially, if anyone is able to advise on these I would be grateful.

All the very best, Twoturnspin
Old 03-27-2006, 09:27 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WHICH TREX?

Round the house, as in outside?
The T-Rex is not an in-the-house model. Oh, I do hover tests in my basement, but that is because she-who-must-be-obeyed has declared it my domain.
SE is fantastic if your budget is large enough. If not, the XL HDE or CDE are fine.
No upgrades needed. Just choose good components.
Align 430L and 35A ESC
Futaba gy401 gyro
4x hs56 servos
TP2100 3s LiPos

There are a lot of other servo choices that will also work.
There are many other batteries that will work.
There are better motors, but this is quite good performance at bottom dollar.
There is no reason to consider a gyro with less functionality.

(I know, the futaba gy240 is also rock solid and a bit cheaper, that will work too - just DON'T get a non head hold gyro)
Old 03-27-2006, 10:32 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

but that is because she-who-must-be-obeyed has declared it my domain.
BAHAHAHA! I call mine the chief of domestic relations.

In any case she declared the living room off limits to the Trex and we are in Florida, the closest thing we have to a basement is a well and the garage hasn't fit a car in 3 years.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:12 PM
twoturnspin

Thanks Vince, appreciate the thoughts.

My understanding is that the SE has more machined components and more carbon parts - is this the only difference? The price difference over here is huge - $300 vs $600 Australian dollars so I'm not sure that it is worth it so can you help me understand what difference I would see in performance please?

All the best, Simon
Old 03-28-2006, 11:03 AM
jh4db536
My Feedback: (2)

the XL flies very well compared to the SE considering it's low price. id consider the SE a luxury. the only catch is plastic parts wont fare as well in a crash like the metal stuff does, so you might end up upgrading when you crash anyway.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:54 PM
twoturnspin

Thanks for that, jh4db536 I'll probably go for the basic one and just upgrade as I need to.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:04 PM
PsychoRookie

TwoTurnSpin,

This is my spill on the T-Rex, and I’m sure that some people will differ. I will put it as simple as I can. For explanation purposes, we will call the XL450 CDE a (BMW), and the SE a (Porsche). Both are excellent choices and well built, but one is a little faster, handles better, a little more expensive, and of course as most people put it, the SE has “MORE BLING”! This is my build on how to buy a BMW, make it into a Ferrari for the price of a Porsche. Purchase the T-Rex450XL CDE with no TX or RX. Purchase a JR 6102 radio w/rx, (or better) for swash settings. Purchase a SuperFrame STK for 65 dollars from HeliDirect to get a true 120* ccpm with your swash. It is made of 7075 grade aluminum, a composite fiber material known as BLACK G10 that will not cause glitching like carbon fiber is known to. You should easily get 30 to 35 dollars or more for your frame you replaced, 80 dollars for the 4 stock servos that came with your JR radio and 40 dollars or more for the telebee gyro that came with your kit Via E-Bay. You should now have at least 155 dollars from the sale of those parts to buy a Futaba GY401 Gyro. For a 127 Dollars you can buy the complete CNC rotorhead set , and for 96 dollars you can buy a Complete CNC tail rotor set that is better than the SE’s.

New T-REX 450xl(CDE) Kit +430L3550+35G ESC+1800 lipo+telebee gyro+4 align 9g high torque servos on e-bay +$337.00with shipping and handling.
Sale of Gyro -$43.00
Sale of Frame and components -$33.00
Purchase of Superframe STK or V2 +$65.00
Purchase of Futaba 401 Gyro +$137.00
Purchase of Best CNC Full tail Rotor +$96.00
Purchase of Full CNC Rotor Head +$127.00
Total minus the Radio is $621.00 with shipping and handling
With radio (JR 6102) it will be around $900. This is cheaper than a fully decked out SE with a stock radio, and you were able to put better CNC parts and a 401 gyro on it. You will still be able to sell your JR servos for 80 dollars bringing down the total to $820.00

NOW YOU HAVE A FARARRI

Also do as VinceHerman stated, make sure you have at least the following
Align 430L and 35A ESC
Futaba gy401 gyro
4x hs56 servos
TP2100 3s LiPos
Old 03-28-2006, 06:49 PM
twoturnspin

Wow PsychoRookie, very complete advice, thanks for taking the time to write, very much appreciated - very logical and well thought out.

I like the idea but I will need to get the whole thing clear in my head as sometime the freight cost out here to Australia can be very high considering the cost of the components. I already have a JR9x (I think you call this radio a JR9103 in the US) so that reduces the cost of the whole thing as it has full heli mode. If you get a chance can you explain a couple of things to me I would be very grateful:
1. What is the difference between the HDE and CDE versions of the 450xl?
2. What is CCPM?

All the best, Twoturnspin
Old 03-28-2006, 09:28 PM
PsychoRookie

TwoTurnSpin

HDE uses Mechanical Mixing (MPM) and is easier for new learner to set up the helicopter------------Mechanical Mixing uses a mechanical device that requires 90-degree levers and linkage to connect the servos to the swashplate. Mechanical mixing usually has one servo working the pitch, one servo working the elevator and one servo working the aileron.

CDE uses eCCPM mixing and is more efficient for advanced flyers. This is extremely nice to setup via the swash plate setup on your TX, hence the reason for a JR6102 or better.----------This usually uses 3 servos which control the elevator.

CCPM = Cyclic Collective Pitch Mixing. The e in eCCPM stands for electronic. 90* servos are 90 degrees from each other, 120* servos are 120 degrees from each other.
120* uses 3 servos, and 90* usually uses 3 Servos, sometimes 4.

I am sure that someone else with much more experience can elaborate on it more efficiently than I.

For an excellent video on CCPM setup and how it works you can go to the following link for the videos.[link]http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t241028p1/[/link]

The Rookie
Old 03-28-2006, 10:33 PM
twoturnspin

Thanks PsychoRookie, really appreciate the info, makes sense.
Twoturnspin