Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Which blades for hovering?

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Which blades for hovering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 07:38 PM
cnguyen831

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which blades for hovering?

Which blades for XL should I use for basic hovering? Just starting out.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:42 AM
don_87

Default RE: Which blades for hovering?

The 315 woodies will be fine.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:06 AM
lost872

I have been using the 325mm blades and was going to give the 315mm ones a go, just out of curiosity is the idea that there not as much surface area so the blades have to spin that little bit faster?

Think that I mite be putting to much thought into this but thats the first thing that poped into my head.

lost872
Old 09-14-2006, 06:18 AM
joe tower

I'm using the 315 fiber that the 450x came with. I did add the flybar weights though...slow things down a little.

Tower
Old 09-14-2006, 09:09 AM
don_87

While the 325 fibers may be "ok" to hover with. the bad part is that they flex easy.
If you have a simple crash like I did, it can cause major damage. Where the woodies will break before they tear up the heli.
There are lots of reports of the fiber blades causing boom strikes while executing 3d manuevers also. (because of the flex in the blades)

Don
Old 09-14-2006, 12:04 PM
WhtBronco

Standard wood blades are the best for hovering and learning IMO. Once in forward flight I prefer true carbon fiber blades though.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:36 PM
wcc963

the idea that there not as much surface area so the blades have to spin that little bit faster?

Think that I mite be putting to much thought into this but thats the first thing that poped into my head.
yes thats true they will have to spin a little faster. but the higher headspeed will make it easier to hover. plus if you add flybar weights it will be even more stable.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:24 AM
ptarp

ORIGINAL: wcc963

the idea that there not as much surface area so the blades have to spin that little bit faster?

yes thats true they will have to spin a little faster. but the higher headspeed will make it easier to hover. plus if you add flybar weights it will be even more stable.
I think most people would agree that the larger the blades, the more stable the heli. I know that MORE HEADSPEED hysteria is sweeping the nation, but I do no think higher headspeed makes it "easier" to handle. You can argue the added gyroscopic forces are stabilizing the heli, but the increased cyclic response outweighs this imo.

325 woodies will take you as far as you want to go. Carbons are a luxury item on TRex sized helis, not a necessity like larger birds. They are better, just not necessary.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Crash9

IMO, I like the woody's 325mm for hovering, slower head speed is easier for me to hover and then I flip my 3 position switch on my optic 6 to middle pos. and my headspeed will increase for forward flight. Flybar wieghts are a must to slow down a twitchy heli
Old 09-16-2006, 03:18 AM
lost872

Just got back from trying the 315mm blades and I think that I will stick with them, I had the best hover yet and then on the second batty crashed (but we cannot blame the blades for that)

lost872