Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Help with programming Eclipse 7 with T-Rex 450 SE - (401 Gyro)

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Help with programming Eclipse 7 with T-Rex 450 SE - (401 Gyro)

Old 10-16-2006, 08:10 PM
HoverOver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with programming Eclipse 7 with T-Rex 450 SE - (401 Gyro)

HELP - my wife is gunna kill me if I can't prove I am smart enough to get this thing airborne!!!

I just purchased the works... A significant upgrade as I went from a Blade CP - to a T-Rex 450XL - to the 450SE with all the bells & whistles... I would like to use my Hitec Eclipse 7 QCPM radio and need help with setting it up (the hardest part?)! Can anyone recommend a good resource for helping me find the information I need to get er' done?

Thanks!

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately" Benjamin Franklin
Old 10-16-2006, 10:38 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Help with programming Eclipse 7 with T-Rex 450 SE - (401 Gyro)

The Hitec manual does a decent job explaining how to setup the eCCPM mixing and reversing the channels so they all move together properly. Read through it all very slowly. The manual is your friend and you will be lost without it!
You'll want to use 120' eCCPM mixing on the t-rex SE (you set this in the main model setup screen where you can set model name, type, etc.).

For the gyro, ideally, you'll want to have the gyro gain plugged into channel 7, then use channel 7's EPA to adjust gyro gain. You can also use channel 5 for gyro gain and use the actual gyro gain function in the transmitter, but it's not tied to a switch, and the eclipse 7 has a strange bug where if you switch from one flight mode to another, it'll re-set the gyro gain as you switch modes, thus disabling heading hold if you move from normal to idle up modes, and vice versa. Really annoying, not sure if maybe it's fixed in newer versions of the radios or maybe I just configured something wrong.
Anyways, channel 7 is still better since it allows you to switch between rate and heading hold on the fly (can't do that using channel 5).
Old 10-16-2006, 11:17 PM
HoverOver

Thanks for the advise and quick response. I will investigate the 120' setup however, you lost me a bit with the advise about the channel 7... Ironically, the ONLY thing I did not purchase new (in addition to the radio) was the receiver. As you can see in the images, I only have 6 channels available. As I look into this it apears that most of the receivers out there only have 6 channels - or am I wrong? Also, the manual specifically recommends channel 5 for the Gyro (see attached pic). There is even a supplemental heading hold instructions available on the hitecrcd.com website.

Are you aware of any video or step by step instructions specifically for this heli / radio combo?

Thanks again for your advice. I really appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35432.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	542522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13645.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	542523  
Old 10-18-2006, 08:16 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Yep, you're right that you need a 7 channel receiver. I forgot that 7CH rx's are rare in the micro class. You can still use channel 5 just fine, and use the "gyro" menu in the transmitter to adjust gyro sensitivity. In this case, anything set under 50 will be rate mode, anything over 50 will be HH mode.
The only downside is, like I said, the above mentioned bug when switching between flight modes. I don't know of any way to fix it, yet.
It works just fine in normal mode, but you'll find it rather annoying once you move to idle up flight.

That, and you don't get as fine adjustment when you've only got 50 -> 100 to work with vs the +/- 100 you get with EPA.

I don't know of any setup guides off the top of my head for the Eclipse 7 and the T-rex. My best advice would be to have a look at the basic setup of how the electronics should work on the T-rex, even if it's for other transmitters, then cross reference that info with your Eclipse 7 manual to configure it properly.

This might be of some use to you:
http://www.trextuning.com/setuptrex.php
Old 10-19-2006, 04:36 PM
p00rboi
My Feedback: (1)

If you want a video reference for the trex there is none better that bob finless's series of videos. They can be found on the _freak fourms. He uses a futaba radio but the basics are the same. You need to become intimately involved with your tx then any knowledge you gain can be applied accordingly.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:25 AM
Tbizz

Since I finally get the internet at my house as of today...woohoo. I can tell you exactly what you need to do for settings to get it setup nicely. I just set mine up for my TRex SA just last night.

unless you've already gfot it straightened out
Old 10-20-2006, 12:22 PM
HoverOver

Thanks for all your assistance with this. If you've got the time, I could certainly use the advice. The previous references were helpful - but to be honest, a bit over my head. I'll confess I probably need to spend some more time memorizing terminology and reading the manuals more thoroughly, but I what I am looking for (and, based on reading through these forums - a lot of others are looking for) is a layman's explanation of how to make the transition from the mechanical setup to correctly connecting, adjusting and programming all the electronics.

In looking around the forums, it appears that I have purchased a fairly typical package... The T-Rex 450SE, 401 Gyro, HB 65 servos, S9650 tail servo and currently I have an Electron 6 receiver (see picture above) and a Hitec Eclipse 7 Transmitter. I am thinking about replacing the last two items... Should I or will these be fine?

Thanks (to all of you) for all your assistance. I hope we can also benefit many others with this forum....

Old 12-01-2006, 07:14 PM
aramsdell

Channel 5 of Eclipse 7 , like the Optic 6, is gyro gain. You MUST program gain for each of the 3 modes Hover, Idle-up1 and Idle-up 2. You also need to set trims for each of these switch positions or you may experience strange wanderings when going from H-I1-I2.
If you have some pitch change when going from Hover to I1 you must remember that the hover pitch trim and the hover throttle trim dials are doing this unless each is perfectly centered in it's range. I believe exponential and dual rates remain the same across the three switch positions.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:09 PM
p00rboi
My Feedback: (1)

OK let's see if I can shed a little light. After mechanically setting up the heli ie.(servos installed, ball links measured and connected to balls) the next step is to center the servos. To center the servos attach the servo wires to the appropiated channel of the receiver and center the sticks on the transmitter. Turn on the transmitter then connect a power source to the receiver. Disconnect the power to the receiver and turn off the transmitter. If you use the ESC to power the receiver make sure you disconnect the motor. Then find the servo arms that have a hole @13 mm out from the center install the balls in that hole on the inside of the servo arm and orient them so that they are as close to 90* to the servo case. Depending on the servos used you may need to grind down the stand-off on the ball for the elevator servo. Once the arms are in place use the sub-trim for the particular channel to get it to absolute 90*. To check your work all of the arms on the head should be perpendicular to the main mast and level with one another. Turn the transmitter on and reconnect the power to the receiver. Check to see that the servos are moving correctly ie.(up elevator rear servo arm goes down two front servo arms go up). If one servo arm consistently moves in the wrong direction that channel needs to be reversed. If the servo arms are moving in the wrong direction for a particular function ie.(collective) than that needs to be adjusted in the the swash mixing. After you have the servo arms at 90* and moving in the right direction attach the main blades. Turn the transmitter on and reconnect the power to the receiver. Center the sticks on the transmitter check to make sure the blades are at 0* pitch. From here you need to set the pitch curve base on how you want it. -2/-4* at low stick and +10* at high stick in normal mode is a good start. All this information and more ie(defeating swash interaction at high stick and low stick) is contained in the videos that I referred to in my earlier post. A search for Finless Video should start you in the right direction, and since it is a video it will make more since than a bunch of words with no references. Let me know if I can help anymore.