Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

what to do before first flight!?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

what to do before first flight!?

Old 01-13-2007, 03:35 AM
Linde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do before first flight!?

I just ordered a Trex 450 xl hde rtf.

This is my very first heli and i dont know anything about flying.

Is there anyone who can help me with some tips to get started?

No:1, shall i do something to the heli or is it really ready to fly?

No:2, how shall i do to fly it?

No:3, What is the easiest/best way to trim in the heli?

Best regards/Linde.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Andrew McGregor

Default RE: what to do before first flight!?

Well, you have a LOT of reading to do. You probably have a good heli there, but it almost certainly isn't really RTF, so you will have to check everything. That means do the following things:

1) Check over the airframe for loctite where it is supposed to be. Refer to the assembly instructions for that.
2) Check the belt tension. It should be possible to make the two sides of the belt touch, but only just.
3) Check the main gear mesh. There should be a little bit of backlash, but it should also be meshing all the way around (main gears are never perfectly round).
4) Read all the instructions that come with it.
5) Search the net for how to set up the gyro. I don't know which one you have so I can't point you at a good page for that. Obviously you're going to have to do this on the ground, or at least while you learn to fly, which is hard. It can be done though.
6) Make sure the swashplate is accurately level with the radio on and the heli powered up. Exactly how to do this will depend on your radio, and may involve adjusting the length of a few linkages.
7) Search the net for "Radd's school of rotary flight". That's the best way to learn to fly. Read it all before doing anything more.
8) Search for some throttle curves for your particular setup. Use governor if you have one.
9) Get a flight sim, even FMS (which is free) will do for this step. Hook up your transmitter and do Radd's school in the sim till you can hover in your sleep. Treat the simulator as if it is real and you spend money every time you crash.
10) Start doing Radd's school for real, and in a few packs you'll be hovering. Then you can set up your gyro for real. Now you really do spend money every time you crash.
11) After you can hover, start working around until you can hover side-in, then start working on figure-eights, make them rounder, then work on nose-in. That'll take about 50 packs or so, and in the mean time you can read about everything else you can do with a heli.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:56 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also did that flight school thing, I can't find it now - but it worked for me. do an internet search. Plus there were a bunch of vids on the Runryder site, now gone I think. I think you can find them here on setting up the trex.

You will need training gear. Buy a good pair you need them.
Regards,
Rick
Old 01-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Linde

Anyone that wants a Trex really cheap! :-)

Damn i have a lot to do!

I have a futaba 6exh (if i remembered right). I dont know which cable to buy to plug in to the cpu to learn in a sim. Or maybe i should buy a cheap sim where the tx is included?

How do i do to setup the gyro?

And how do i do for setting up the heli in the best way?

I feel really stupid now!!!

Old 01-13-2007, 03:11 PM
1080tommy

The mechanical setup was the easy part for me. It was the radio setup that was a little complex and I needed help to get the throttle and pitch curves right. As far as flying the thing it seems pretty easy to me. This is my first collective pitch heli and I consider a successful flight to be anything about 5-6 feet off the ground and back down in one piece. I am getting better at flying out and then coming back in tail first and have not tried any more aggressive manuvers yet. I have a Futaba 401 gyro and the Futaba digital tail servo and the travel needed to be turned way down on the gyro. If you do not do this you will break the tail rotor rod! Also make sure that with the heli on, the swashplate is as neutral as possible. Mine needed considerable adjustments from the measurements in the setup section of the manual. Good luck. I am having a blast with this thing. So far the only thing that I have broke is a set of gear from a hard landing and at 5.99 to repalce it no big deal.

Tom
Old 01-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Linde

Thanks alot 1080tommy.

I guess its betveen 7-14 days before i get my Trex, So i gona look in to the things you just described when i get it.
Then maybe i will understand exactly what you mean. Im not so good in what every part of the heli is called yet, especially in english :-) But i hope i learn soon.

It is truly super nice to get so much help from all of you guys.

//Linde.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:43 PM
1080tommy

no problem. If you need help with the throttle curves and other radio setup, I can give you my numbers. I use a Spektrum DX7 radio and I love it and the rado is basically JR. My heli is dialed in pretty good now because it flies rock solid. I have only begun to try and perform forward flight but it is coming along nicely.

Tom
Old 01-14-2007, 05:18 AM
Linde

I guess I want your throttle curves!? I honestly dont know what that is or how I can program them into my tx, maybe it doesnt even work that way. I dont have a clue! But what I know for sure is that i NEED HELP!
And probably lots of it!

/Linde.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:07 PM
1080tommy

I will give you how my heli is set up. The only thing that I am going to fool with is the throttle curve. First in the swash type menu set three servos to 120 degrees. THen in the flight menu here are my numbers. Throttle curve normal. Low-0.0%, point 1-40.0%. point 2-55.0%, point 3-inh, and point 4-100.00 stunt 1 low- 100.0%, point 1-inh, point 2-70.0%, point 3-inh, and point 4-100.0%. Swash mix is 3 servos 120 degrees aile--60%, ele-+60%, and pit-+60%. My Trex if flying well and has no tail wag at all. If you need pitch curves or anything else let me know.

Tom