Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

T-Rex 450 - 4 Questions

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

T-Rex 450 - 4 Questions

Old 02-12-2007, 02:05 PM
soop7667

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Rex 450 - 4 Questions

Hi -

I've got a new T-Rex 450 SE w/ 430L motor and the recommended ESC from Align.
Question #1 -
Could I get better performance out of a different model / brand of motor. I know it's just that I got used to how it flies, but I'd like to see more lift and faster RPM. I like those really fast acents straight up.

I started out flying this bird with the fly bar weights on, and took them off after a week. I didn't notice much of a difference in the stability/agility. I did notice a difference when I installed the 325 Pro Blades as compared to the 315 carbons I was running originally. In the manual it states to use the larger shims (Included in the kit) on the spindle, (called a Feathering Shaft on some other models),

Question #2 -
How EXACTLY does changing to the wider spindle shims affect agility/performance? Does it make a big difference - and if so - WHAT DIFFERENCE and HOW DOES IT WORK? Trying to get an idea of what to expect when changing over - or is it even worth doing the work? (as if it's a lot of work)

I feel like I'm progressing very fast in my flight ability - I've gone from hovering it to forward flight in about a week, another week I started banking my turns rather than stalling and flipping my tail. I am very eager and feel ready to try a loop and some 3d stuff, but I wasn't sure if I should set it up with the larger shims first or not. I've heard of people taking years to get into doing loops, inverted, and the 3d stuff.

Question #3 -
Are they going really slow, or am I going really fast?

Question #4 -
I want so badly to do some killer 3D - I feel like I'm ready - I don't get the heli shakes at all any more - should I wait, or should I go for it?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:14 PM
thermlin

Default RE: T-Rex 450 - 4 Questions

#1. yes the 430L is said to be very underpowered. ok for hovering and such, but 3d? forget it. the best three motors for the buck are the www.justgofly.com 450F, 450TH, or 500TH. they all three kick butt on 3s (so ive heard).
#2. are you talking about the things that are basically right beside the blade grips? if so, i hear theyre not worth changing because they make the head stiff. if not, ill have to look in my manual and search around on the ezone
#3. going fast is no problem. thanks to a year on Realflight, i was doing piros on my SECOND (yes second) flight on my trex-my first ever full-control heli. (have a CX but hasnt flown in a few months. i have been outside in some wind, and doing FF and a little FFF in circuits.
#4. we seem to be in the same position because ive been sick of flying in Normal mode, and i really wanna dish out some 3D. but the carbon blades the sent scare me a little (theyll blow the head to bits in a crash) so i ordered some pro woodies to start trying some stuff. my ESC and tail servo just burnt out for no reason though, so i havent been able to fly in a week, and will be at least another, maybe 2. im really feeling that i can at least pull off a roll once i get to use idle ups. i say go for it if youre not scared. theres no reason to hold yourself back if you feel confident enough....but make sure youre not trying anything low at first.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:18 PM
soop7667

UPDATE -

You know - I thought I was just getting used to it going up fast and that I wasn't perceiving it as fast anymore - however...I forgot that last week I ditched it because I couldnt see it in the dark - and when I did I stripped out two of my JR digital Servos - KILLER SERVOS BTW - anyways - tonight I realized that I didn't adjust the set-up after installing a couple of spare servos I had laying around - they were the el-cheap-O e-flite ones - (same ones used in a cp pro) Anyways - I readjusted all my set-up tonight - You know I was only getting about 7degrees of positive pitch? Cheesh - Yeah - I got my fast accent back - what a difference - you know I started banking turns last weekend instead of flipping the tail and I thought it was really hauling ass - Man! I can't wait to see what it's going to do with the full 11 degrees of pitch it has now!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:09 PM
gt_jumper

Alot of people are using the medusa motors with a 4 cell setup for the best 3D power/headspeed. the bigger shim between the bladegrips and the main head is to compact the O-ring dampeners making the responce of cyclic alot crisper. I burnt out my e-flight servos within a few flights, they are crappy so check your servos before every flight if ya wanna run them.