Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Battery balancing?

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Battery balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:34 AM
apacheheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery balancing?

I have 3c 2200 11.1 volt batteries that I am using. Now when the balancer lights turn off, the 3 cells are not the same voltage. The cell voltages are 4.17, 4.14, 4.06= 12.37volts. Is this an acceptable difference per cell?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:49 AM
W4RCF

Default RE: Battery balancing?

I'm going to paste in the balancer manual excerpt (210 Thunder Power) so you can see what they say. That one cell is definitely well off from the others. I hope this is some help to you. Fred

A: Imbalance under 0.03V: yellow status LED “on”, red LED(s) “on” for 5 seconds
Proceed with normal charging
If yellow status LED “ flashes”, pack average voltage is below 3.6V

B: Imbalance 0.03 to 0.2V: yellow status LED”off”, red LED(s) flash for 5 seconds
Charge at 0.3A to balance the pack or proceed carefully with 0.5C charge.
If yellow status LED ”flashes”, pack average voltage is below 3.6V, Proceed with normal charging

C: Imbalance over 0.2V: yellow status LED “off”, red LED(s) flash for 60 seconds
Battery may require repair (Keep battery plug into the balancer for auto self balance, do
not charge battery until bleeding/balancing stop)
If imbalance remain >0.2V, balancer continues beeping every minute for 10 seconds.
If yellow status LED begins flashing, pack average voltage has dropped to below 3.6V
You may charge the battery at 0.3A and monitor charging for one hour, if the beeping stop
but bleeding continue, unplug the charger and balancer to retest the pack with balancer.
If beeping continue, you need professional help.
Additional audio alert:
Cell voltage below 3.2V, audio beeps for 5 seconds
** Note: when the “START” button pressed again, the checking display will be repeated.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:41 AM
theDonDon

The cell reading 4.06 seems low to me, using the align balance charger my cells are all over 4.15 and vary by only .02 or .03 volts. But all packs are different, and chargers, I wouldn't make too much of this but I would keep an eye on it.
You could unplug the pack after charging then plug it back in a few times to see if it balances better. I smacked a 2200mAh 3S lipo in a crash and voltage was perfect--- until the next morning when 2 cells were dead and another on it's way.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Skunkworx

Hmmm... that's a nasty looking balance to me. It won't really 'hurt' the pack unless you go above 4.2V or below 3.2V on any given cell, it does however put an uneven load on the cells and will cause your pack's life to decrease. I use the TP 205 and I sually never get anything more than .01 difference in my cells (i.e.- 4.18V, 4.18V, 4.19V etc...) If there is an imbalance, it will bleed them off until all three are really close.