Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

good Trex setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good Trex setup?

I'm fairly new and still reading on things... but I want to start working my way up to my next project.

what is the better setup? I dont' mind spending an extra few bucks on something thats better and will last longer, and work better down the road... but every where I look, its a different servo, a different gyro etc... I'll figure out which model... thats really not the issue or the hard part... its all the details really.

I'm going to end up with the DX7 (micro setup... 3x DS285 and the AR6100... are those good servos? or am I better with a no servo setup?)
GY401 + 9650 servo seems to be the product of choice... and should last should I decide (or heli decides) its time for a new heli
430L + 53G esc, seems to be the standard, good enough?

whats left? just the batt? whats the best bank for the buck?
Old 05-30-2007, 07:11 AM

Default RE: good Trex setup?

The ds285s are digital, which are known to center better, but will draw more power off your BEC. The HiTek hs65mg is the servo of choice, with metal gears and faster, but I beleive the metal gear set for the 241 is a dirrect replacement,
http://www.grandrc.com/jr1?b=1
I'ld go with the 35X, as it has a 6V BEC , which is compatible for the 401 and 9650,
http://www.grandrc.com/inc/sdetail/30677
The nice thing about grandrc is you can order the combo you want.
The 430L has plenty of power and is easier on bat.s than the 430xl.
As for bat.s I've had alot of charges out of DN 15C 2150mah, with a charger and two bat. combo, it's a good start. Though the charger doesn't give you mah replaced, if you stick to 7-7 1/2 min. flights, you'll be fine.
A LiPo alarm is a good investment and I would advise setting it for 10.2V,
http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=335444
Old 05-30-2007, 09:20 AM

Since you are in FL have a look at [link=http://www.thehobbysuperstore.com]Warrick Custom Hobbies[/link]. I got my TRex from them. They sell a combo deal for $270 that includes the TRex450SA ARF with 430L and 25amp ESC w/governor mode (the Align ESC has built in low battery protection and it has yet to fail me.). The SA is a very good model and don't let anyone talk you into getting a higher end model. Especially since your new to all this. You don't need a blinged out model with all sorts of carbon fiber and alumuminum parts. More expensive to fix if when you crash.

As for servos I am using Hitec HS-55s all around and an eFLight gyro that works just fine for me. If you have doubts about this setup there is a video of this guy named Alan Szabo flying this exact same model (and a gyro that isn't a futaba). As your skill progress you can upgrade the SA to fit your flying style. BUT REMEMBER if you get into 3D the SA will do everything the bigboys do!!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:52 AM

Here's my Set up and I couldn't be happier.T Rex 450V2, Futaba 401/S9254. 3-HS65's, Dx7.This thing is rock solid.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40200.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	694179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64728.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	694180   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27653.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	694181  
Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 AM

As for lipos I'm using the TP 2070 extremes. Lots of power, never go out of balance.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: AeroDave

As for lipos I'm using the TP 2070 extremes. Lots of power, never go out of balance.
I totally agree... TP's are great and the align battery are POS in my opinion...