Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Trex SE Self Destructing

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Trex SE Self Destructing

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:19 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trex SE Self Destructing

Anyone have a problem with the SE throwing parts in flight? I have had head parts break in loops, today it threw the main blades. The spindle was broken in half. It might have happened after it hit. One of the ball links came off, I am guessing in flight because it did the funky chicken long before it hit the ground.

Anyone have problems with this or am I just flying it way too hard?

Old 06-16-2007, 10:50 PM
HeliSmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trex SE Self Destructing

I am thinking pitch linkage failure.

Say your pitch linkage popped off or lost a ball and it threw the blade 90°. Now this happened at full throttle with lots of forward momentum allowing for some serious forces to go to work. This could destroy the head in a couple of turns throwing parts everywere!

Hope the damage was minimal. []

HS
Old 06-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Cleared2Engage

Are you using loctite? I forgot to use loctite once and luckily I caught one of my ball links leaving the swashplate before it could've gotten ugly.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:05 AM
pawraith

also, you might want to inspect your heli before each flight. it covers this in the manual. inspect all the linkages for security and loctite the ball links.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
FLYBOY

I went through it all today and the cause looks to be a ball link that unscrewed itself on the swash plate. It was a factory installed and they didn't use locktite. I took all the remaining factory screws out and used locktite on them and not one had it. I didn't notice it being loose before flight, but then unless you put a screw driver in every screw, its easy to miss. Not fun.

The last time it was a pitch link that popped off. I bought a new mavrick ball sizer and it oversized the balls. I went back to my old one and replaced the balls I did with the mavrick and it works fine.

Strange run of luck. Now I get to find out what futaba charges to fix a gyro. I bought a new one so I am not grounded. Will be back in the air Thursday. Would be tomorrow, but it looks nice, might need to do a motorcycle ride. [8D]
Old 06-20-2007, 08:27 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

First thing that a user MUST do with the SE is take the WHOLE thing apart and rebuild it using Locktite
Old 06-20-2007, 08:44 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Welcome to why I hated mine, every time I flew it something broke. I nearly ran it over with my Jeep but decided it was better to sell it. The new owner (who knew all about the struggles I had with it) totaled it on its second flight.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:57 AM
duaneh1

I guess I'm lucky. I've had my SE for a year now, and its been extremely reliable, haven't thrown a part yet, However I always do a pre-flight inspection and check for anything loose with my hex driver and phillips. I've spent way more money and time maintaining and tinkering with my Blade CP than my SE.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:00 AM
essence25
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

I went through it all today and the cause looks to be a ball link that unscrewed itself on the swash plate. It was a factory installed and they didn't use locktite. I took all the remaining factory screws out and used locktite on them and not one had it. I didn't notice it being loose before flight, but then unless you put a screw driver in every screw, its easy to miss. Not fun.

The last time it was a pitch link that popped off. I bought a new mavrick ball sizer and it oversized the balls. I went back to my old one and replaced the balls I did with the mavrick and it works fine.

Strange run of luck. Now I get to find out what futaba charges to fix a gyro. I bought a new one so I am not grounded. Will be back in the air Thursday. Would be tomorrow, but it looks nice, might need to do a motorcycle ride. [8D]
What do u mean it oversized the balls? U talking about the ball link right?
Old 06-30-2007, 07:28 AM
stevennh

I too have been lucky. I have an SA with some SE parts. I have only had one non-crash related issue. After a repair one of my brand new (plastic) blade holders broke during the initial spool up (just getting light on the skids). That mishap did more damage than my two crashes! I do a pre-flight every time, but nothing has ever come loose (all metal-to-metal screws have blue lock-tite).

Steve
Old 06-30-2007, 05:35 PM
FLYBOY

ORIGINAL: essence25

What do u mean it oversized the balls? U talking about the ball link right?

Yea, the ball link sizer tool that you pop on and make the ball links work smoother. I have 2, the maveric makes them pop off. I don't use it. the other works great.