Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Upgrade CP or get a T-Rex?

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Upgrade CP or get a T-Rex?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:06 PM
KCinNC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Upgrade CP or get a T-Rex?

this single thread answered so many questions....actually feels like a big weight is off my shoulders !!!

is buying one of the combo kits. copter/esc/motor a good deal...or should i go with the seperates ????
Old 08-31-2007, 09:16 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Go with the separates. Most of the combos use equipment that isn't really the best for the application.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:10 AM
BoysToys

I went with the V2 kit. It came with the heli, ESC (BL35X), motor (430XL), and a battery. I don't think that you can get a SE or V2 model without it coming with the ESC and motor. I then purchased the servos (HS-65mgs), gyro(GY401/9650), receiver(AR6100) and transmitter (DX7)seperately. The Align motor works great. The Align ESC worked great until I had a major crash and did not hit the throttle-hold until after I saw smoke coming from it. I am now running a Castle Creations Phoenix 35 and really like how you can program it via a USB cable and your computer.

On a side note, the battery is JUNK. My Align pack puffed after about 10 cycles. I sent it back and got a replacement and sold it unopened on ebay then bought a FlightPower Evo25 pack.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Puckhead

I hear everyone on here saying the same thing. I will add another comment, buy the TREX, I did the blade thing and wish I would have just paid for the REX in the first place. The money sort of creeps up on you as it leaves your wallet in chunks of 20, 30, 40 bucks at a time. It adds up fast, and Blades are VERY fragile. HOWEVER, I know how to fly now and I have never flown a TREX before, but I would think it is much easier. The simulator doesn't hurt either.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:30 AM
stevennh

Get a used T-Rex SA or SE/SE-V2. It's a great way to get started for shorter money than building new. Lots of folks with more money than patience get these setups and give up on them after a few flights (leaving a bargain on eBay!). I picked up a used SA with decent electronics and some SE upgrades on eBay for less than $600.00 used (metal tail). It's flown like a complete dream for over a year now with only crash related repairs. I went from the CP to the Falcon-3d (the Falcon-3d was a big mistake, complete crap after a few months of flights). I learned to fly on the CP and did not invest much in it. It was a good learning investment, but it's too small to fly well outside in significant wind. The T-Rex handles quite a bit of wind very well and is very, very stable. It even carries a small video setup (200mw 2.4Ghz downlink with camera and battery).

Trex 450-SA
Align Gyro, Futaba 3701 on Tail
HS65HB's on cyclic
Align 430L motor, Align 35A ESC
Spectrum DX6, 6000
Thunder Power Extreme 25C 3s Lipo's
Metal Tail (SE)
Home Made LiPo Alarm (audible)

Steve
Old 09-01-2007, 09:08 PM
KCinNC

is there a significant advantage of the DX7 vs. the DX6?? i mean would a DX6 be totally capable for the Trex 450
Old 09-01-2007, 10:55 PM
ezveedub

I beleive the DX7 is a full range 2.4 Ghz, while the DX6 is park flier range limited. Also the DX7 has the setup screen which makes setting much easier to see and work with. The DX7 has more setting points also. Most usually find someone selling the Tx only with the charger and battery and then get the servos & Rx as needed. I run the AR6100 Rx with mine.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:13 AM
jh4db536
My Feedback: (2)

DX6 sucks for the trex...the ECCPM 120* swash doesnt mix correctly. It's something you wont notice unless youve flown both or know setup really well. i have attempted to prove this from when it was first released and now people are starting to believe me now that it can be compared with something that works Right like the dx7,

the DX7 doesnt have this problem, but it isnt a perfect either. i think the software/firmware in it has some bugs; however, nothing that will cause you to lose control of the model.
i still recommend the DX7 despite the issues.

im not even going to bother with the range issue. the DX6 has enough range for a trex450...600 is a different story. the DX6 faults in the ECCPM area and that is the fundamental controls of the model therefore i would stay clear of it.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:50 AM
stevennh

jh4db536,

I have been really happy with the DX6 on my SA. This is the first I have heard about mixing issues on the cyclic. I went from a Futaba 6EXH to the DX6 and the DX6 seems to control the cyclic the same as far as I can tell. The only thing I don't like on the DX6 is the 3 point throttle/pitch curves, I would rather have the 5 point curves available on the DX7. Oh, and the stock battery on the Tx could last longer. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say "The DX6 sucks for the T-Rex". The servos that came with the DX6 would not be appropriate for the T-Rex (slow and poor centering), I sold them on eBay with my 6EXH system but that was painless. What is the issue with mixing on the DX6, accuracy, travel...?

Steve
Old 09-03-2007, 02:13 AM
jh4db536

INTERACTION

it happens regardless of the servos used and trust me it wasnt my setup because i was able to reproduce it over and over and make the problem go away simply by switching to a different TX (also used different DX6 systems). you can use digital DS285's or HS65mgs and it will do it the same. i believe it is software limitations related to the DX6 that cause the problem. people actually did scientific studies using high tech instruments to prove it. most people shrugged off the results as something an average pilot wouldnt notice in flight, but i can SEE the interaction when im rolling the cyclic and it's Disgusting. Just roll the cyclic around and the washout will be bouncing up and down especially if you are using a lot of throw and collective (the washout should should not move when you are pounding the cyclic at ANY collective range). The effect in flight is everytime you hit the cyclic, the heli will not maintain altitude. (there are other factors that contribute to this such as wind, cyclic friction, and shift in vector causing a loss of lift) this error prevents it from being perfect, but can be Prevented and thus my argument against the Dx6. a well designed mechanical mixed heli will not have this issue. Even the Trex HDE isnt perfect on the elevator at extreme collective (hence they use that compensating arm between the colective lever and the frame)...elevator will pull forward at extreme negative pitch and push backward at extreme positive pitch due to geometry of the linkages and servo positions.

IMO the Futaba 9C has one of the most accurate mixes JR9303 is probably the best overall for features and ease of use.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:51 AM
stevennh

jh5db536,

That does'nt sound good. I guess I would never see this with my mild flying around (FF, hovering, figure-8's) but will run into it when (if) I start to do 3d. It sounds like an easy enough problem for the Spectrum guys to fix with a firmware update, I wonder if the DX6 radios have updatable firmware? Thanks for the detail...

Steve
Old 09-03-2007, 02:22 PM
C5m7b4

Trust me, with the T-Rex, it wont take all that long to get to 3D. Especially if you are using a flight sim.

C5
Old 09-03-2007, 04:44 PM
stevennh

It's just a matter of guts for me and 3d. I can flip and roll all day long on the simulator, I just have not yet built up the nerve to flip the real thing.

Steve
Old 09-03-2007, 04:52 PM
truraza

Buy my V2... I have no time to learn to fly it.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:50 PM
heartofmadnes

ORIGINAL: jh4db536

INTERACTION

it happens regardless of the servos used and trust me it wasnt my setup because i was able to reproduce it over and over and make the problem go away simply by switching to a different TX (also used different DX6 systems). you can use digital DS285's or HS65mgs and it will do it the same. i believe it is software limitations related to the DX6 that cause the problem. people actually did scientific studies using high tech instruments to prove it. most people shrugged off the results as something an average pilot wouldnt notice in flight, but i can SEE the interaction when im rolling the cyclic and it's Disgusting. Just roll the cyclic around and the washout will be bouncing up and down especially if you are using a lot of throw and collective (the washout should should not move when you are pounding the cyclic at ANY collective range). The effect in flight is everytime you hit the cyclic, the heli will not maintain altitude. (there are other factors that contribute to this such as wind, cyclic friction, and shift in vector causing a loss of lift) this error prevents it from being perfect, but can be Prevented and thus my argument against the Dx6. a well designed mechanical mixed heli will not have this issue. Even the Trex HDE isnt perfect on the elevator at extreme collective (hence they use that compensating arm between the colective lever and the frame)...elevator will pull forward at extreme negative pitch and push backward at extreme positive pitch due to geometry of the linkages and servo positions.

IMO the Futaba 9C has one of the most accurate mixes JR9303 is probably the best overall for features and ease of use.
You stated that it was tested and scientific studies where done? Is it listed on any site you could send a link? I would like to read more on this since I have been doing 3d with my DX6 for sometime and have not noticed any problems. So I would like to see this fact finding information for my own knowledge...
Old 09-05-2007, 09:50 PM
jh4db536

i started the thread, you will have to read through it and it's kind of long.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...12#post5857412

the thread is old, before the dx7 came out. now that the dx7 is out with ADVERTISED fixes to ECCPM accuracy and control lag + servo synchronization tweaks, it's an admission of 'guilt' deficiencies in the dx6 by the manufacturer themselves. the case is closed and i was right.

i argued over this issue with close friends who can fly better than me (im not that great of a pilot). only recently they have reevaluated their position on the subject since theyve had many opportunities to try systems side by side.