Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Trex 450SA...What else do I need?

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Trex 450SA...What else do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:26 PM
aznherb36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trex 450SA...What else do I need?

Im new to Helis, been playing with my tmaxx for 4 years, and decided to try a heli. After some research I found that the Trex is very popular for just over the beginnners line of experience. I want to double check and get a good estimate on how much i will be spending on a trex40sa, transmitter, and batteries.
To be more specific, Im looking at this one:
http://myrcsupply.net/index.php?main...ducts_id=19148

I will need a transmitter and servos (JR sounds good)
batteries (what kind? 9 cell?)

what else am I missing to turn this ARF to RTF?

thanks
Old 07-29-2007, 10:37 PM
TheBum

Default RE: Trex 450SA...What else do I need?

You don't want to use NiMH in a heli: they're too heavy. Instead, you need a 3-cell lithium polymer pack. You'll also need a gyro; without it, you'll be fighting the tail all the time. The typical recommendations are three Hitek HS65 servos for the collective/cyclic, a Futaba GY401 gyro, and a Futaba S9650 servo for the tail (the tail servo needs to be fast).

The GY401 and S9650 are pricey, but they'll give you excellent tail hold. The less expensive gyros tend to drift with temperature change.

As for radio equipment, I would strongly recommend something that uses 2.4 GHz spread spectrum. You don't have to worry about frequency conflicts like you do with 72 MHz FM. The Spektrum DX7 is popular, but if you want to same a little money, the DX6 would do you well. Those radios come with a receiver and servos; you may or may not want to use the servos. I'd recommend doing more research and reading the forums here, at RCGroups.com, at WattFlyer.com, and at HeliFreak.com (I consider the Finless T-Rex setup videos at HeliFreak.com a must-watch).
Old 07-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Synister

I have the same heli and just finished getting everything i needed to get it flying. heres what i use

Futaba 6ex 2.4 ghz Tx and FASST receiever, this package doesnt come with servos but you will want better that what comes with most radios anyways
3x hs65 servos for the head
logictech 2100t gyro/9650 servo for the tail
2000mah or greater 3 cell lipo battery with a 15C+ rating, plus a lipo specific charger and preferably a balancer, check out the cellpro 4s charger and batteries from fmadirect.com, great performance at reasonable $$
Power supply (12v DC) or a car battery would work, lots of options here, computer power supply is what I am using, check out some other threads in electric flight to get ideas
pitch guage, ball link pliers, needle nose pliers, wire cutters, and probably a soldering iron would all come in very very handy, basically necessary

a 6pack of beer to drink when your brand new heli crashes and you have to buy parts, kinda like mine just did today
Old 07-30-2007, 01:05 AM
lookyj

ORIGINAL: Synister

pitch guage, ball link pliers, needle nose pliers, wire cutters, and probably a soldering iron would all come in very very handy, basically necessary

a 6pack of beer to drink when your brand new heli crashes and you have to buy parts, kinda like mine just did today
although not necessary, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED....

especially the beer!