Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Hot motor from continuous flying?

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Hot motor from continuous flying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 04:05 PM
helibutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot motor from continuous flying?

When we own multiple lipo packs, it's feasible to fly continuously non-stop. Don't we have to worry about the temperature of the stock motor that comes with SE V2, or is the motor one of those parts that just doesn't get damaged from the heat? I have enough # of lipos, and I could literally fly the heli non-stop if I don't have to worry about the motor breakage from the heat. Or should I let the hot motor rest to cool down before the next session of flight? Thanks. [&o][&o]
Old 10-26-2007, 04:36 PM
FMB42

Default RE: Hot motor from continuous flying?

I run an Align 430L w/25A ESC and a 1500mAh 15C 3s lipo and the motor/ESC/batt all get a "little" hot if I fly more then 7-8 minutes continuous so I try to let everything cool down for 2-3 minutes every 5-6 mins. The 430L is (internal) fan cooled and the ESC has a heat sink so the battery tends to get hot first (~130 deg, @ 70 deg ambient). This battery is a low cost unit so I may try upgrading to a higher quality/C rating batt in the future. The Align 25A ESC has a thermal shut down temp rating of 176 deg F and Lipo batts should not be allowed to get above 170 F. I'm not sure what the thermal rating of the 430L is so I'll have to look at the spec sheet again.

I plan on buying an inexpensive "non contact" thermometer from Harbor F tools so as to get a better idea of just how hot things are getting.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:26 AM
RussWisc

another idea is to add the motor heat sink. that will help cool the motor in flight better
Old 10-27-2007, 06:01 PM
BoysToys

I run an Align 430XL motor with a Castle Creations Phoenix35 ESC in my V2 with a 12t pinion. I fly each of my packs for 6 minutes then land. After 6 minutes of flight my motor is usually around 145 degrees. I give it a rest of about 4-5 minutes. This is enough time to get a drink of water, pull the old pack off, and then install the new pack. I regularly fly 5 straight packs like this then pack everything up and go home.

I have heard that you should not worry about brushless motor temps until they are around 190-200 degrees. You should not let your lipos get about 140. If you equipment is getting hotter than this you are doing damage to them and you should throughly check out your setup to find out what is going wrong.

Good Luck!!