Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Is it time yet?

Old 11-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Mr. Mugen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it time yet?

When does a guy know when it's time to move on? I have only had a few heli's and they have all been little electric pos's except for the blade cx2. I can do anything that the cx2 will allow now. I wanted to get a CP but the more I read the more I think a 450 would be a better way to go. I have read a bunch on the Trex 450 and it seems like a decent chopper for the money. So how do I know if I am ready for it? I know it's a loaded question but hey...I gotta ask. I have a G3.5 sim and have played around with several choppers. I know they handle much different in real life but it seems to be quite easy. I tried the sim when I first got it and could not fly anything with a rotor...lol. Now I can fly decent ( I think) but still need the real life hands on I think. Any advise on a perticular model and gear would be handy. I am not looking for 3d just plain and simple (but not a cheap kit either). It seems like there are 10 of each and the differences are a blur to me....dang cx2...too easy. Kevin
Old 11-10-2007, 03:48 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is it time yet?

The CX2 does little to prepare you, other than fanning the flames.

The Sim you have will get you there. Keep doing maneuvers on the sim. Hover over one spot. Do low, slow figure 8's. If you have that down pat, by all means, get a 450 class machine. I like the idea of getting a T-Rex 450 and a decent transmitter, rather than one of those RTF packages that often come with a proprietary Tx.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:01 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just taught myself to fly on a 450 V2SE with no sim, just take it one step at a time and you'll be fine.
p.s. I got the Blade for the wife!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22347.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	800847  
Old 11-10-2007, 05:02 PM
RussWisc

Mr. Mugen
you know your ready when you started to ask,,, you can learn on any size Heli ,, the bigger the more stable they are ,, the Qu ???? what can you afford to get and maintain ,,, the bigger they get the more they cost ... the Trex 450 seV2 is a great Machine the 600 is more stable ,,, if you go Nitro they fly great ,, you have to ask yourself what you are looking for ,,, when i started 1st Heli (1980s) all there was is Nitro 30-60 size and no sims ,,,
Old 11-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Mr. Mugen

Cost is not important really. I am not after cheaply made things, ever. I am ready to go with something a little more challenging though. I think a450 is what I am after. Is there a perticular place you's buy them from that is friendly and service pro's? Kevin
Old 11-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Druss

look for the cheapest price you can find online then go to your local hobby store and ask them to match it. it's always best to support your lhs if you can as you'll be going in there for parts and they treat you better if you bought the heli there.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Mr. Mugen

Thanks man but my lhs is so limited at what he orders it's not funny. I asked him to order me a evolution 26cc for my ultra stick and he said "sorry I am too busy to mess with that stuff right now....." HOLY CRAP! Normally he would order anything you want but lately he has been slacking. He is not carring anymore gas plane or heli stuff any longer. Only electric stuff. I wish I could talk him into lots of things but that isn't the case. I am looking for a good online source. One that has customer service and such. I am not a rookie in r/c by any means....just heli's. Thanks fella's, Kevin
Old 11-11-2007, 01:30 AM
Mr. Mugen

http://www.deeteeenterprises.com/NS....Black.Kits.php

I was thinking combo 74. I already have a radio so I think the rest is included. Is the align motor that comes with this combo any good? At least for learning? I know the servo's are great (I just installed 4 65hb's in my brio 10) and the futaba gyro must be pretty good (knowing futaba). Is there anything I might do differently? I am open to all suggestions. I dislike buying things I will upgrade right away. Kevin
Old 11-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Druss

that's pretty much the standard configuration for the 450, i'd say quite a few of the ppl out there are running that exact same set up, i know i am.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:26 AM
Mr. Mugen

Just found it on the bay for 150 less. This is what I mean though....not going to get any service from a bay seller...ya know. If something is horsecrap from go your kinda screwed or so I have found in the past. I suppose if there is something wrong I do have nearly a hobby shop here to work on it....lol. So I think this is gonna be my next investment. I am working on a few planes right now but several of them will have to wait until spring to maiden so a chopper is gonna keep me warm all winter.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:27 AM
Mr. Mugen

madmodelman...nice looking heli's!
Old 11-11-2007, 08:56 AM
RussWisc

I live in the woods like you do ,, no LHS to speck of too ... I deal with Heliproz.com alot they help me when ever i need it ... phone or email ... between net sellers with good sales support like heliproz and forums like this you can learn alot
Old 11-11-2007, 10:10 AM
ct420

I get most of my T-REX stuff at: www.tech-mp.com

Joe at Tech MP will answer your emails, usually within minutes, even at midnight on Sunday

He has the fastest shipping and best customer service of any online vendor I've found. The only downside is that he runs a small shop, and therefore doesn't have TONS of selection. He does have just about everything you would need for a T-REX, though...
Old 11-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Mr. Mugen

Thanks for the links guys. Russ- I see you from one of my favorite musky holes. I spend a bunch of time there every spring and fall. Heck I am thinking of coming there during our firearm deer season to try for a monster musky. Maybe we will meet one day....if we haven't already. I have spend endless hours in Rollie and Helens. Kevin
Old 11-13-2007, 09:32 PM
LDGILLS

ORIGINAL: Druss

look for the cheapest price you can find online then go to your local hobby store and ask them to match it. it's always best to support your lhs if you can as you'll be going in there for parts and they treat you better if you bought the heli there.
MY LHS just laughs at me. Hence I dont suport them, cause they wont support me
Old 11-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Mr. Mugen

My LHS will work with me on certain things. If it is over 100 dollars I can usually get a real good deal from him. He told me "your my best customer"....I chuckled and thought....who else does he say this to...haha. I will attempt to buy it from him if he comes in close in price. Sometimes he beats the price online....like getting me my 33% edge 540 for 700.00 instead of 850.00. I always give him first dibs on my bussiness when I spend a bunch at once. If everyone did that our hobby shops would still thrive......bummer they aren't. Kevin