Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 trex V2 belt problem >

trex V2 belt problem

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

trex V2 belt problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trex V2 belt problem

hey guys, ive been flying all day today with my trex 450SE V2 and the last flight about 2 mins into it, it started to feel weird so i set the heli down and unpluged the batt....looking at it i noticed the belt was all the way to the left side of the tail assembly (looking from behind). somehow it rode up on the edge and was slipping. is there a reason for it doing this? when i got inside i took apart the tail assembly and looked at the belt itself, it seems fine except some string is coming out of the side....is it still safe to use or should i buy another one? also what website do you guys find to be the best for price/shipping for the trex spare parts?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: trex V2 belt problem

Firstly, ditch the belt NOW. It will fray and jam in the tail housing and stall the main motor. I know this from experience. Tightened my tension a bit more and had no trouble since. Rather give the batt a bit more work to do than repair the heli! Gary.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 AM

thanks gray, i got another belt on its way....about how tight should the belt be exactly? in the book it talks about, you should be able to press the belt half way to the other side, but how are u suppost to do that when i can barely get a finger in there to test it.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:24 AM

I found that if you put a small screwdriver down from the top and pressure the belt with that you can see and feel the tension. I am now flying scale so its impossible to do that anyway. Just pull the tail assembly back really tight and clamp it, I've found the tighter the better. It will of course put a little more load on the mechanics and therefore the battery but I am not risking dropping out of the sky again!
I have found that the yellowy coloured belts are better than the black ones by the way, see HT 1003HT on http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/ac...Sprs_Trex.html

Near the bottom of the page, Gary.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73772.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	812374  
Old 11-26-2007, 09:46 AM

the yellow corded belt is what came with the v2 and I ordered the ht1003 to replace it
Old 11-26-2007, 09:55 AM

I think that proves that Align are aware of the problem, it usually ships with the black one. I've just had two V" arrive and both have black belts in the kits. However, the yellow ones will shred also if not tight enough.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:19 AM

well i guess that was my problem. The belt seemed to be tight enough after assembly but after 10 flights I guess it loosened up enough to do that. When u tighten the belt do u pull the tail boom out or the tail assembly, just to tighten alittle. Cause if I have to take apart the boom to move it again I will but if its okay just to pull the tail assembly out a tad that will save me some hassle.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:29 AM

They do tend to stretch a bit especially the black ones. The boom housing will be ok pushed right in, just do the adjustment on the tail assembly, I usually put a little mark on the boom so I can reference where I started off from with a new belt.
I am sure others will have other idea's but if it's not too loose it can't ride up the tailshaft gear when you think about it!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: hennesseylord

Cause if I have to take apart the boom to move it again I will but if its okay just to pull the tail assembly out a tad that will save me some hassle.
If you move the boom to tighten the belt it's less work, because if you move the tail box, your rudder servo now has to be readjusted.

George
Old 11-27-2007, 09:19 AM

oh very true
Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 PM

That's the way I do it. Then, just make sure that tail rotor is lined up right (in the right plane of rotation) and you're set.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:41 PM

I'd be very careful not to overtighten the belt. I had the tail drive pulley break twice in flight. First time I was able to land safely but the second time I crashed. The guy at my LHS told me that if you tighten the belt too much the pulley will break eventually (unless your heli has got the an all metal pulley assembly).
Old 11-28-2007, 04:50 AM

The SE V2 has.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: techrtr

The guy at my LHS told me that if you tighten the belt too much the pulley will break eventually (unless your heli has got the an all metal pulley assembly).
I was looking at GrandRC they have a after market pully with set screws ... i was going to get one on my next order
Old 11-29-2007, 12:45 PM

I removed the idler pulley and use some silicon spray on the belt and have not had anymore belt problems on my Trex450seV2.