Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Trex SE GF or Trex SA >

Trex SE GF or Trex SA

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Trex SE GF or Trex SA

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trex SE GF or Trex SA

Hi,

I am in the market for a 450 scale, I am coming from a coax and therefor a newbie I was given an offer for an SE GF brandnew for $80 more compared to an SA version. Being a first real heli I am not sure which one is better. I checked that SE GF is a version 1 improvement? and SA is another thing.

Which one would be better? I am already investing on a DX7 and looking for a cheap sim too. Trying to sell my touring car stuff aswell for parts that i will need after crashes

thanks!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 PM

Default RE: Trex SE GF or Trex SA

Unless I'm mistaken, the GF is basically an SA with some frame parts made from glass fiber (fiberglass) rather than aluminum.

I have an SA. The only bad thing I can say about mine is that the head parts (except for the alu. center hub) were very flimsy. They didn't survive the first minor crash. A $60 RC-TEK Phantom head cured that. It is by FAR the best flying heli I've ever flown, even with the plastic head - HBFP, HBCP2, BeltCP, MX400 - none come close, though the MX wasn't entirely TeH suXXorZ, and for the price, the Belt ain't half bad. But this is a different league.

My vote would be SA, and use the $80 for a CopterX or RC-TEK head, or a battery.

If your only experience has been with a coax, you're in for quite a ride. That was a tricycle. This is a Harley.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 PM

i just found a link that has some specs

http://www.rchover.com/inc/sdetail/117201

does this help?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 PM

Well now it's a no-brainer. If it comes with the Align metal head parts for only $80 more, get it. Assembling the Align head piece-by-piece would run well over $150.

Even if you do just get the SA, you done good. Great heli.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:02 PM

You can get a T rex 450SE V2 from techmodelproducts.com for 400$ shipped all blinged out..!! Im currently building mine...Ill get some pics soon.. you will have to e-mail them but he gets back to you quick..
Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 PM

I just looked at the link.... $380 for the SE GF? Personally I'd choose the Beam E4 for $320 over that or the SE V2.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Druss

I just looked at the link.... $380 for the SE GF? Personally I'd choose the Beam E4 for $320 over that or the SE V2.

Dude.......Look at parts availability.....
Old 09-03-2008, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the advice..

reason i was going for align is because of parts availability is good locally. I also saw a trex clone it is the flasher 450 from snhobbies.com for 299 or the 450 se gf for 360. The Flasher comes ARF and all i need to buy is the radio. The trex will also be arf because the seller will include basic servo, telebe head locking gyro, 2 batt, charger and standard ESC/motor combo that comes with the kit. So its like a Flasher which is a V2 clone or an SE GF.

hmm I have not search about the Beam E4 is it like another trex clone? if so then parts should be ok?

thanks
Old 09-03-2008, 08:45 AM

interesting.. i went to the site and saw T Rex 450S (CF) Silver Electric 3D R/C Helicopter for 249, i wonder if that is the same as a Trex 450 SE CF?.. so many variants that makes it confusing. do you think i can get a bat, gyro, servos to reach 360? well my budget is around 350 thats all i can afford for the bird.

still have to buy extra parts

thanks
Old 09-03-2008, 06:14 PM

Trex SE V2 is best bet; because the metal parts are more resistant to crash...
Old 09-03-2008, 07:11 PM
My Feedback: (12)

hang tight guys... this is a new guy moving up from a coaxial... he needs to know...

even though metal is great, it's pricey and he will crash and have to replace it...

the metal parts offer less slop, therefore the heli is going to be more reactive to his inputs..

now, with all that said, the SA is cool, I built one for a buddy and have flown it, it's nice. He's going to start adding aluminum to it as he breaks parts and/or gets better...

personally, I like my trex with the aluminum head better than the one with the plastic.

Align really needs to make a grid of their heli's and improvements on them that you can read and see the differences, they've got so much stuff out there and so many variants - even my XL's, one is e-ccpm, the other ccpm... gets confusing!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: HarleyDave

ORIGINAL: Druss

Dude.......Look at parts availability.....
Not an issue for me really as I buy most of my parts online anyway and I always have stock of parts myself to take to the field. Parts availability does not make the decision for me personally but I can see how it may be an issue for someone new.

That said, I really don't think the SE GF is worth $380 as a kit when you can find the SE V2 on ebay for $400 shipped.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:41 AM

Good point...........
Old 09-04-2008, 05:18 AM

with metal parts, mostly in a crash you need to replace the feathering shaft; main shaft; flybar, main blades; landing skid; tail boom. With plastic; maybe it will take more time to fix....
Old 09-26-2008, 07:55 AM
My Feedback: (15)

I just picked up a 450SE GF from my LHS
Comes with 430x motor and 35x (6v) ESC and a 2100 battery

$299

HS65MG
Hitech 5000 gyro/servo combo

flies great
Old 09-26-2008, 01:03 PM

I would say that even the SA is going to be way more heli than you can possibly imagine right now!

Start off with the SA and upgrade to better parts as you abilities improve.

$80 does not sound like much right now, but is does add up to two battery packs and a pretty decent charger! That would be a LOT more useful to you right now than a Metal Head!