Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Flew the blades off of it!!!

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Flew the blades off of it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 AM
E30 M3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flew the blades off of it!!!

So I probably have about 30 flights on my first "real" heli, a Trex 450 Sport. I was excited becuase this morning I successfully flew 3 loops. They weren't anyone close to perfect but I was excited as I have been flying pretty conservatively and haven't crashed yet. So my last battery I was just practicing my nose in hovering and with about a minute left in the pack I was flying slow circles when POP! The blades flew off, I cut the trottle (wasn't in idle up but was on the previous 3 batteries), and the heli fell about 10 feet onto its side.

Now my questions. The last 10 or 15 flights I have been getting an occasionally squeeking sound, almost like two metal pieces rubbing. After the first time I heard it I checked the heli and lubed the bearings and shafts. Didn't solve the problem but since the sound was occasional and not that loud, I didn't spend any more time on it. Normal or was that a sign of a problem?

Also, I expected to crash when I first started flying so the "nice" blades included in the kit I set aside and put on a pair of Align woodies. The blades were always a little stiff in the grips. Never noticed any issues from this but should I have sanded the base of the blades down so they didn't fit so tight against the grips (they were so tight some of the plastic coating on the base of the blade was cut when I pushed them into the grips...).

The heli looks perfect but I might tear it down and go through everything. The fusalage took a little damage but (since I thought I would crash when I first built it) it was just an $8 cheapie.

I do see a little wrinkle in the battery's outer cover. I watched it for about 15 minutes and it doesn't look like it puffed at all. I will be veeeeerrrry cautious when I charge it.

Would love to hear any relative comments, thanks.

Before anyone asks, yes, I took the entire thing apart when it was new and loctited every bolt.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:17 PM
gi1mo2

Default RE: Flew the blades off of it!!!

I had the same thing happen to me. The Feathering shaft screw came off after a few flights. Battery should be fine. I have dinged a few, but no damage to the cells, just to the outer plastic wrapper. As for the squeak, I haven't heard that on mine.

I should have used a pair of cheap wood blades when I first got mine too now come to think of it...

Gilles
Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 PM
gi1mo2

This thread is bad luck. After replying to the thread this afternoon, I went out to fly my F4U Corsair and my Trex 450 Sport. On my second battery on the Trex, the blades came off. I did locktite the feathering shaft one month ago as mentioned in the thread. So my guess would be to check this from time to time. I didn't have more than 20 flights since that previous incident. Perhaps Green instead of Blue?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 PM
E30 M3

ORIGINAL: gi1mo2

This thread is bad luck. After replying to the thread this afternoon, I went out to fly my F4U Corsair and my Trex 450 Sport. On my second battery on the Trex, the blades came off. I did locktite the blades one month ago as mentioned in the thread. So my guess would be to check this from time to time. I didn't have more than 20 flights since that previous incident. Perhaps Green instead of Blue?

Sorry, didn't mean to jinx anyone... Someone else suggested that there may have been some oil on the thread of the shaft that kept the loctite from doing its thing. From now on I am going to use some cleaner on those threads before useing the loctite. Hope your bird is okay.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:44 PM
redman4264

Bad day for us all Iguess. Iflew the anti rotation pin smooth out of the swashplate today on my pro. Main gear, feathering shaft, main shaft, and flybar all toast. I would swear I put loktite on it too.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:04 PM
baurwin

this thread is a jinx. i read it yesterday morning then this happened shortly after........[&:]

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN2H1D38siU[/link]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN2H1D38siU[/youtube]
Old 08-28-2010, 04:31 PM
E30 M3

Dude, you flybar is bent...

Seriously, sorry about the crash but that was some really clean flying. How do you like those paddles and tail blades?

Was it a blade that let go, I couldn't really tell from the video what exactly happened?
Old 08-29-2010, 12:03 PM
gi1mo2

Looked to my like something similar that happened on mine (twice). One of the screws on the Feathering shaft came undone, and the blades flew off. Blades and feathering share were still good after, and the only thing I lost was the spacers.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:40 PM
baurwin

ORIGINAL: E30 M3

Dude, you flybar is bent...

Seriously, sorry about the crash but that was some really clean flying. How do you like those paddles and tail blades?

Was it a blade that let go, I couldn't really tell from the video what exactly happened?
yes, same as gilmo2 described. the screw in the feathering shaft let go and ejected the blades. as far as the kbdd paddles and tail blades, i love them, i have them on all my 450's and just got some to try on my 600 but have not put them on yet. other than the battery, the tail shaft and flybar was the only thing damaged. o, and the canopy, ill have to repair it with fiberglass repair kit. also lost the collars for the feather shaft, but the blades were fine.