Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Tachometer Readings
Reload this Page >

Do you like this forum format for tach readings or should we evolve it into the product guide?

Community
Search
Notices
Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

Do you like this forum format for tach readings or should we evolve it into the product guide?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 01:21 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you like this forum format for tach readings or should we evolve it into the product guide?

Curious if you guys find what your looking for ok in here with regards to tach readings or if you would prefer to see it somehow included in our product guide or other database driven format so you can find motors and readings more easily?

Let us know what you think.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:59 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you like this forum format for tach readings or should we evolve it into the product guide?

Marc, you should definitely present it in a searchable database format. I like the spreadsheet format on RCFaq.com, but it can get huge. Most are going to use it either to find a specific engine or to compare several similar ones. Be sure to allow entry for:

1. Prop type
2. Fuel type
3. Atmospheric conditions (i.e. Temp, RH, barometer)
4. Geographics (i.e. location and altitude)
5. Engine condition (i.e. age, break-in status)
6. Exhaust tupe (i.e. stock muffler, tuned pipe, open face, baffled/unbaffled)
7. Accessories used (i.e. pump, aftermarket carb and/or ring)
8. Glow plug type (glow engines)
9. Ignition type & settings (gasoline engines)

That all I can think of for now. I'msure I missed a few. Doesn't matter if posters fill out all the entries, but the columns being there does encourage specifics.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:04 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Do you like this forum format for tach readings or should we evolve it into the product guide?

I can usually find what I'm looking for OK in here. However, tach readings in a database format is not a bad idea. For example, you could list the engines by brand and model number, then tach readings with certain prop, fuel, elevation, air temperature, and tach used.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:16 PM
mvigod
Banned

If you guys spec out what you want and how you want to interact with it Michael can build it in a day or two. He is a whiz with this stuff. We need to know all the fields and specs and how you want to be able to find/search/sort or whatever. The more detail the easier it is to scope out right the first time.

Also we need to include electric props too I think
Old 12-02-2003, 11:21 AM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Hi Guys,

Just saw this and have an idea:

What if we simply use the Engine Guide and include a tab (or a section accessible from the "Specs" tab) that includes all relevant information about the engine (vis a vis fuel, props, tach readings etc) so that you can find what you are looking for simply by doing an engine search?

MK
Old 12-02-2003, 03:34 PM
flyn4Him

sounds like a winner to me!!!!
Old 12-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Sprink

Sounds good, but make sure it is flexible. Main thing I am thinking of is for new and less popular engines. Really you need us the users to be able to add new engines to the list, rather than rely on the admin team to do it.

Does sound good though.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:58 PM
controlmech

Something that would improve what's here would be the ability to use a numeric search string. If I type in an egine size, say 15 in the search, nothing comes back.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:53 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if it would be ok to use it here or not, but I have the entire "tach readings" section downloaded from the RCFAQ site. I downloaded it for quicker/easier personal reference, and now I'm really glad I did as the RCFAQ site is gone. If you find out that it would be ok to use, and want me to send it, just contact me.

Take care,
AV8TOR
Old 01-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Vingemutteren

I have noticed there often are a big difference on RPM measured in a model opposed to RPM measured on a bench (higher RPM on bench caused by less vibrations) and I often wonder if measurements are in a bench or not. Maybe something to consider when you make the redoing?
Old 01-04-2004, 05:13 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Along with the obvious data, like engine, type prop, altitude measurement was taken, etc., what would be REALLY cool is measured static thrust!

AV8TOR
Old 01-16-2004, 04:55 PM
StarskiPZ

Hi All,

you might also consider asking your members to provide more data & rpm figures for engines you have little info on, a bit like a wanted list?

both for new engines like the new YS 140 DZ, and for old classics like ?Enya 120
or engines that are rare and out of production?

regards,

starskipz
Old 01-26-2004, 12:52 AM
gregusan
My Feedback: (2)

I'd like to be able to find posts and figures that I know I saw on the "old" RCU site. I'm looking for tach readings on Saito 30's, 40's, and the OS 26, 30 Surpass, but cannot find any. I had posted some on the old site, and can't find those either.

Are they still there and I'm doing something wrong? Or were all the old posts lost?

Anyone who knows of some readings for the above would be helpfull.

By the way: I just ran my twin Saito 30 plane, a 9x8 apc=9800, 9x5 apc=12,000 to 12,500 (peak).

[email protected]
Old 01-26-2004, 01:07 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: gregusan

Are they still there and I'm doing something wrong? Or were all the old posts lost?

did you change the "30 days" at the top of the page to "all topics" before your search? if not you won't find anything older than a month

i'm all for the rpm data base but it should be made easier to use then the one on rcfaq...also the member's user name and the tach used should be listed

dave
Old 01-26-2004, 11:45 AM
mvigod
Banned

you can also click on http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/search.asp and search for those terms ONLY in the tach forum using the drop down forum selector to limit your search
Old 02-02-2004, 08:00 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default (in reply to StarskiPZ)

In reply to the suggested "wanted list", I am waiting for my 111th engine to arrive, an Irvine 150. I would be somewhat limited in that I do not own any OSs and only one Taiwanese engine, a TT .42 that is converted to Diesel. I have lots of them from Europe, Old Europe, Russia, Britain, Italy and Japan. I would glad to ring out any engine I have with two or three different props and maybe a glow plug or two.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would prefer a data base like the one on RCFAQ.com
Old 02-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Oddball

Please please do a page on the site where you can see in alphabetical order all the different combos of engine/prop/fuel,etc so that you can just scroll through to where you want.....

Go RCU go..!!
Oddball
Old 03-01-2004, 06:46 PM
FlyHard

I agree. It was very easy to use.

ORIGINAL: Geistware

I would prefer a data base like the one on RCFAQ.com