Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Got a new project truck!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got a new project truck!

ORIGINAL: SMOKEFAN

Sweet!! Is there a place you buy R/C pulling stuff at such as the weight kits?

Whens your 1st pull?
The weights came from ebay. A guy on there has the mold and melts lead to make the weights. It was $16 shipped for the 2lbs i got, which should be plenty. There are several places that sell pulling truck chassis, wheels, tires, gears, chain and belt drive parts, etc.... Most pulling trucks are custom made, but i like the nitro mt class because its something anyone can buy and modify to compete with. [8D]

Oh, and the first pull is the 26th of Feb. I thought it was the 12th because thats what i was told, but its the 26th. The wait is killing me

Eric
Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 AM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: ntrain42

I got a few question to ask:

A. WHat are the specific differences between the 8.0 and 4.6 MGT?

B. Is there an aftermarket gear cover to cover up the open pinion/spur gear arrangement?

C. I assume all spin/pull start engines from .21 and up are compatible with this truck without any major mods?

D. The 22mm wheel hex's......is that a typo? Id prefer to run 23mm if possible.
A- The engine, transmission and wheel hex size is all i know of. .50 vs .28, transmission has all steel gears, and the hexes are 14mm on the 4.6 vs 22mm on the 8.0.

B- The stock 4.6 has a gear cover on it actually. Mine had one on it and I took it off. The only reason for me taking it off was to allow for much faster clutch bell swaps since ill be swapping it from a pulling truck to a basher fairly often. Plus, I dont think running without a cover should cause any problem.

C- Basically any standard .21-.36 engine I know of will drop right into the MGT. There is nothing behind the engine for the starter housing, etc to hit so I believe any standard MT engine will fit.

D- Like was said, the 8.0 hexes are supposed to be basically 23mm, I just dont have any to tell you for sure, but i have heard that many times.

I attatched a picture where you can see the stock gear cover[8D]

Eric
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	om33514.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	1561260  
Old 02-10-2011, 11:38 AM
cummins driver

Well I had to go into work early this morning to do snow removal. So I got off about 3 hours early and when I got home, my new stock body was waiting. The body looks great. I was thinking of buying one and painting it myself, but im glad i didnt. The red on this thing shines and looks great with the chrome wheels, and the flag is cool too. Plus I am awful at painting, so this just made it much easier and cheaper for me[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	us52899.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1561261   Click image for larger version

Name:	bx73813.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1561262   Click image for larger version

Name:	mr42396.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1561263   Click image for larger version

Name:	fz74539.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1561264   Click image for larger version

Name:	zk69642.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1561265   Click image for larger version

Name:	qg64174.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1561266  
Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 AM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good man!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 AM
ntrain42

I got a few question to ask:

A. WHat are the specific differences between the 8.0 and 4.6 MGT?

B. Is there an aftermarket gear cover to cover up the open pinion/spur gear arrangement?

C. I assume all spin/pull start engines from .21 and up are compatible with this truck without any major mods?

D. The 22mm wheel hex's......is that a typo? Id prefer to run 23mm if possible.

The 8.0 has a .50 engine compared to the .28 in the 4.60. IMO the .28 is a better mill with plenty of power
The 8.0 has a better trans
AE calls them 22MM but in actuality they are 23mm hex. I have proline 23mm hex's on my 4.60
I have never had gear issues without the cover but im not aware on an option for the 4.60

You cannot put a 21or .28 size engine in the 8.0 without a 4.60 mount. But there are so many drop in options for the 4.60 that require NO mods to drop in. For instance the LRP 30m will drop in. I have an RB concepte MT10 in mine
The newer 4.60 have metal gear trans now.
A. OK, so the NEW 4.6 MGT's have the same transmission as the 8.0? Or just is it different still with upgraded gears? Gear ratios the same?

B. Does Proline still make a 23mm wheel? Seems like Prolines 40 series beadlock rims are discontinued which is too bad.

C. Any other major or minor differences even between the 2 trucks? If I get the 8.0 all I will need is a motor mount swap I assume to go with an aftermarket .28 correct?

I plan on swapping out the motor,tx/rx and servos anyway, so Im curious which was is the better route to go since this will be a basher truck with my Losi LST XXL going full race duty.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 AM
cummins driver

You can run 17mm wheels if you buy the HPI E-Savage 17mm conversion kit. Works great. I dont know how many companys still make 23mm wheels, but i like 17's about the best anyway.

What kind of engine are you planning on running?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 AM
SMOKEFAN

The trans is still different but the 4.6 trans is very good also, especially when upgraded to FOC. Proline still makes 23mm wheels I just bought some, not bead locks though

Proline 23 Hex- Buy Them
http://cgi.ebay.com/ProLine-6033-00-...item45f80c3035

yes you will need a 4.60 mount for a .28

If your planning on going that route just buy the 4.60. You can buy new 8.0 trannys on ebay pretty cheap IF you have problems
Old 02-11-2011, 07:25 AM
ntrain42

The trans is still different but the 4.6 trans is very good also, especially when upgraded to FOC. Proline still makes 23mm wheels I just bought some, not bead locks though

Proline 23 Hex- Buy Them
http://cgi.ebay.com/ProLine-6033-00-...item45f80c3035

yes you will need a 4.60 mount for a .28

If your planning on going that route just buy the 4.60. You can buy new 8.0 trannys on ebay pretty cheap IF you have problems
Since this is going to be a basher, I would want the one with the transmission that is the strongest.

I can get the MGT 8.0 for about $400 shipped. I can get the MGT 4.6 for about $350 shipped.

So if I grab the 8.0 I will need to buy the motor mount conversion, and gear cover(lot of small pebbles/sand so Id prefer to have some type of gear shield for the pinion/spur).

If I buy the 4.6 I would probably want to swap out the transmission and upgrade to 23mm hex wheels(Cen,Proline beadlocks if I can find em).

Seems pricing is going to be very similiar either way...........whats the power difference between the 4.6 and 8.0? Ill probably run em to start and kill it off before I do the engine swap anyway unless the tuning sucks on em.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:44 AM
SMOKEFAN

With the newer version 4.60 metal gear trans it is very tough. I run ALOT of power through mine with ZERO issues.

Top speed of the 8.0 is more but the 4.60 has stump pulling torque. My 8.0 wasnt all that great. I also broke the rod in it. Im running an LRP spec3 in that truck now and my 4.60 has an rb concepts MT 10 in it. The RB concepts walks all over the LRP and I have had ZERO problems with the 4.60 trans with FOC. It's my racer so if I felt there was a weak spot trust me I would have replaced it. The FOC kit is all that is needed for the 4.60 trans.

The new 4.60 does have a gear cover
Old 02-11-2011, 08:02 AM
cummins driver

Id buy the 4.6. The 4.6 engine is no slouch. I definately wouldnt see a need to replace it with anything until it was dead. Its one of the better engines I have messed with. Like was said, stick a forward only conversion in it and call it good.

The reason the 8.0 doesent have the cover is because the clutch bell of the 8.0 is bigger and wont fit under the cover. Also, the stock servo on mine seems really good. Its metal geared and has enough torque to turn the wheels lock to lock at a stand still. Even with the 2lbs on the front of mine it steers ok sitting still. For a basher i wouldnt worry about replacing it.

Either way the MGT is a stout built truck and is no slouch.

Eric
Old 02-11-2011, 08:15 AM
ntrain42

Being a bashing truck I plan to keep reverse. I did the FOC to my LST XXL since its raced. But for bashing I find reverse comes in handy many a times.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 PM
cummins driver

I just got to run it today some with the smaller tires on it and still on the stock 16/52 gearing. The smaller tires brought the top speed down a lot, which is great because Im pretty sure now with 14/52 gearing this thing will be darn near perfect with a sled behind it. I was holding the rear end down and it would light the tires up on blacktop no problem. It flat out jumps out of the hole and screams with this setup too.

One thing I couldnt believe was how much better it handled. This thing is like its on rails now. I changed the hole the steering arm was in on the servo saver to give more steering, and combined with the smaller tires this sucker will turn on a dime, and the brakes are awesome too. These trucks are just really fun, ill have to say.

I think for normal running Im going to have to step it up a tooth or 2 on the clutch bell. I have a new 18t clutch bell that came with my savage. Ill try that, and if its too high, ill either run a smaller spur, or 17t bell. Im thinking 18 may be ok with these smaller tires though, they really slowed it down quite a bit.

Very happy with how this thing is coming along.

Eric
Old 02-11-2011, 02:06 PM
cummins driver

Being a bashing truck I plan to keep reverse. I did the FOC to my LST XXL since its raced. But for bashing I find reverse comes in handy many a times.
Well reverse works great in these transmissions and the reverse gears are all steel. They are much lighter without the reverse gears, but they should hold up fine since they are all steel.

Eric
Old 02-11-2011, 03:25 PM
SMOKEFAN

I went to my Bash sight today and ran 4 tanks through my MGT also. The weather was perfect ( 70 degrees ) and I had a blast. Truck ran perfect as always and came home in 1 piece
Old 02-11-2011, 05:12 PM
cummins driver

Well, it was about 39* here when i ran man, however that is nice compared to what we have been having. It was 9* this morning... Brrr!

Its supposed to warm up quite a bit tomorrow and stay warm a few days, so im hoping to be able to run a little.

Eric
Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 PM
driller2948

The only weak piont in both the 4.6 and 8.0 tranny is the one way hub rev will kill it! There is a little slack between the shift from fwrd to rev! That constant pop back and forth is hell on the one way even in the 8.0 tranny.

The things I like about the 8.0?
I like the steel spur 49t the carrier helps prevent more than you think and they hold up longer than plastic! I had a few clutch bearings go unexpectedly and the heat took out the plastic spur! Don't like the clutch bell no options availible, clutches are not standard!
No pegs? I hated those pegs! If you want to keep the original spur set up all you have to do is switch out the spur shaft, 4.6 fits.
The retainer rings for the drive shaft pins great!

Don't run the 8.0 engine or clutch sell them on ebay should fetch engine $130-$150 clutch & bell $20-$25

As far as the 4.6 engine go's tons of low end tourqe! Wheelies with ease, but my unmoddified Picco .28 would blow it away 200' drags I would win by 50' easy! No real top end!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 PM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: driller2948

The only weak piont in both the 4.6 and 8.0 tranny is the one way hub rev will kill it! There is a little slack between the shift from fwrd to rev! That constant pop back and forth is hell on the one way even in the 8.0 tranny.

The things I like about the 8.0?
I like the steel spur 49t the carrier helps prevent more than you think and they hold up longer than plastic! I had a few clutch bearings go unexpectedly and the heat took out the plastic spur! Don't like the clutch bell no options availible, clutches are not standard!
No pegs? I hated those pegs! If you want to keep the original spur set up all you have to do is switch out the spur shaft, 4.6 fits.
The retainer rings for the drive shaft pins great!

Don't run the 8.0 engine or clutch sell them on ebay should fetch engine $130-$150 clutch & bell $20-$25

As far as the 4.6 engine go's tons of low end tourqe! Wheelies with ease, but my unmoddified Picco .28 would blow it away 200' drags I would win by 50' easy! No real top end!
OK, your kind of hard to understand here.

A. So the 8.0 doesnt use a standard hub? So getting rid of the 8.0 and going to say a Picco .28 means I'll be using a different clutch/hub assembly. Will the stock gear cover of the 4.6 cover fit then?

B. Pegs?

C. What does swapping out the 8.0 spur shaft for the 4.6 spur shaftdo exactly? Im not catching on yet fully since I dont have the vehicle ordered and in my hands yet.

Im probably gonna just pick up the 8.0 and sell of the engine,servos and transmitter right away and use my Spektrum radio, extra telemetry reciever I have along with a pair of Hitec 7955 servos and the Picco engine. If the clutch bell the picco uses is a different size from the 8.0 Im wondering if Ill be able to use the gear cover from the 4.6?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:05 PM
cummins driver

The 8.0 engine uses a larger clutch bell than what is standard. When you put a standard .28 engine on the truck, you'll just run the standard clutch bell on that engine, and then you can fit the 4.6 gear cover.

The 4.6 uses a slipper peg setup. Little pegs that go through the spur gear act as the slipper clutch. The 8.0 has a better setup, and doesent have the pegs, so he is saying the 8.0 slipper is better. You can change the input shaft in the transmission to the 8.0 input shaft to run the 8.0 slipper setup.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:00 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

The 8.0 engine uses a larger clutch bell than what is standard. When you put a standard .28 engine on the truck, you'll just run the standard clutch bell on that engine, and then you can fit the 4.6 gear cover.

The 4.6 uses a slipper peg setup. Little pegs that go through the spur gear act as the slipper clutch. The 8.0 has a better setup, and doesent have the pegs, so he is saying the 8.0 slipper is better. You can change the input shaft in the transmission to the 8.0 input shaft to run the 8.0 slipper setup.
Ah ok gotcha, now Im getting a better picture. Thanks for that info. Will probably do the 8.0 then and sell of the parts stated previously. So Ill need to buy mount,clutch bell and gear cover for the 4.6.

Also, Im going to do the RPM A-arms and hub carriers. Will also be replacing the shocks too. For the shocks any suggestions? Thinking about doing the AE blue FT aluminum ones with the New Era functional piggyback reservoirs.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:59 AM
SMOKEFAN

AE FT bodies and FT caps would be my suggestion. I havent found a shock yet thats not poorly built for these trucks except maybe the proline, but they are very spendy.

I run FT bodies and caps, red springs, 2 hole pistons and Losi 50wt oil
Old 02-12-2011, 07:38 AM
ntrain42

So Proline makes the best ones? Ill look into em.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:27 PM
cummins driver

They dont make them anymore. Proline powerstrokes is what they were. I just sold a used set for $60.

Eric
Old 02-26-2011, 11:00 PM
cummins driver

Ok guys, today was the first pull with the new truck and me and the big bad Monster GT got first place all 3 rounds! They take the best out of 3 pulls and count it to your points for the end of the year, but i also won every round. I had such an awesome time, and the MGT was screaming! It was still turning the tires at the end of the track with no problems, so I have the power to do a little better if i can get it to the ground without riding a wheelie

My father in law and his LST didnt fare as well as me. His truck ran great, but the front end was too light not having a weight rack on it, and so he couldnt hold it from going out of bounds. The last time though i changed a few things around and got it so that he could at least make a good clean run. He had fun, but we are hoping he can do better next time

VIDEO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M24KdZArqFA

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M24KdZArqFA [/youtube]
Old 02-27-2011, 04:27 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work man!
good runs
Old 02-27-2011, 05:04 PM
cummins driver

Thanks man, I was really excited to get 1st place my first time out with it. [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.