Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Monster GT anyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 01:24 AM
Evader ---> MGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Monster GT anyone have one?

Holy crap! I just did the mod where you replace the stock arm from the servo to the bell crank and adjustable arm (with the help of a traxxas turnbuckle) and wow! Steering has much improved!

Here's what I did...

http://www.monstergt.com/articles/st...two_servos.php

It's like the servo on the right, if you see what I mean. Steering is soo much more accurate without having to adjust the trim, and I get equal steering in both directions. Definately a good $8 spent on turnbuckles and ends.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:12 AM
scottywilkes

that, parred with the FT steering bellcranks, and a alloy servo horn helps alot.

My steering setup is Towerpro MG599 steering servo, alloy servo horn, adjustable turbuckle, FT steering servo saver/bellcranks, Lunsford Titanium turnbuckles and RPM steering knuckles, teflon coated pillow balls. Works smooth and flawlesstly, only time its failed on me is when my servo horn came loose and i landed on a rock and it bent the skid
Old 04-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Snaut Rocket

I need to try that.
I need to get more steering out of this 200 oz steering servo I have.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Evader ---> MGT

I have the same setup scotty, except the Lunsfords. Will get them this summer.

Hobbico HS-145 (200oz/in), aluminum servo horn, adjustable servo arm/turnbuckle, FT steering, RPM knuckles, heavily greased (not teflon...) pillow balls.

Huge-tastic improvement over stock!
Old 04-26-2008, 07:03 PM
scottywilkes

i went teflon over grease as its a dry lubricant, smooths things out awesomly and dosnt attract, dust, dirt etc that the grease does, i did however grease my CVDs and booted them, stops them binding at hard lock
Old 04-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Snaut Rocket

Yes booting the cvd was probably the best upgrade I ever did.
After doing that a pin has never fell out again.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Evader ---> MGT

I've never lost a pin without boots...
Old 04-27-2008, 01:45 AM
scottywilkes

ive never lost a pin in the CVD, ive lost a pin in the centres t hough. I just went the boot to keep the joint lubricated, my stock CVDs which were about 16 gallons old, had SOOOOOOOO much slop in them lol, so bought some new CVDs, booted them and greased the joint, works great, silky smooth, i will have to take them apart sometime soon though, to clean the old grease out and regrease with some fresh moly grease
Old 04-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Snaut Rocket

Cant believer you guys never lossed a pin.
Talk about some random bad luck.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:33 AM
hilifemt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I break and lost my fair share of pins. I use tape or heat shrink now, so i don't lose them anymore, but I still break them occasionally. My last bash 2 days ago, I broke a CVA pin. I drive like a jack ass though
Old 04-27-2008, 03:43 PM
ferrariowner123

i lost so many axle pins and got so tired of having to order new pins that i started to make my own pins. i found a nail that fit in the hole on the axle and cut it to sixe and made a flat spot for the set screw they were great temporary solutions. in fact it worked so well that there are still some pins in the truck that haven't broken and they've been in there for at least 3 gallons so if your impacient, have acces to a dremmel and some nails lying around its a great little mod. My big never ending problems are pins keep breaking or falling out of the CVD's or the center shafts (whatever there called) its annoying and does any one have any links to how to boot the center shafts?
Old 04-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Snaut Rocket

Hrmm I never see those things come loose at all.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

Hey guys I just wanted to chime in and say that I will be getting a 4.60 tomorrow. I am trading one of my planes fully set up for one that while it is used looks like brand new. I am looking forward to this thing!! I will probably ask too many questions at first till I learn more.
So my first question is this.. Is the pro 28 that comes on it very finicky?? Meaning, is it user friendly? My planes have all been reliable with just small adjustments needed from time to time. I have used both 2 and 4 strokes... There is a thought a four stroker on a bad azzzzz monster truck.. [sm=72_72.gif]
I'll post some pics tomorrow night to show it off!!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Elite_Tux487

The stock .28 is very reliable and forgiving no doubt, packs a nice bit of power and torque as well.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:26 PM
ferrariowner123

well to start welcome to the monster truck thread. Great to here about new MGT owners

and to anwser your question about the engine, its a very user friendly engine and it sounds like, from your plane experience, you know how to tune an engine properly. but first i recomend getting the foward only kit (FOC) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFVB7&P=7 yes, reverse is fun for a little while but your one way bearing http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFTY4&P=Z is gonna get smoked and there not cheap to replace, and as things start to break and wear your gonna wanna replace them things like hinge pins http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFUF9&P=7 and hinge pins mounts http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFUF6&P=7
oh and another major, but well worth it upgrade are rechargable batteries for the reciever and transmiter, this allows for strong and faster reponse from the steering and throtle servos and longer battery life then standerd double A's. i use this for my reciever http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHUJ3&P=ML two of these for my transmiter http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKYC8&P=ML and this to charge them http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLD5&P=ML
there might be cheaper chargers out there but this is totally worth it. and if get that charger and batteries you will need some special plugs to charge them

now all of the charging stuff is there assuming you dont have this already but like i said before about the FOC and hinge pins are stuff that will breaking and bend after normal use.

just giving my opinion, hope this helps
Old 04-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

Thanks for the welcoming!!
First of all I have this in 1400mah http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=JRPB5000 will it work for a reciever battery?? As for the alum. mounts they are already in place!! This truck has barly been used at all. Also, forward only huh... Sounds like a money save that will be ordered next Friday.(payday, if the wife will give me enough allowance lol)
Old 04-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Snaut Rocket

You can use the pack but you wont be getting the full performance out of the mgt's servos.
Say the steering servo is rated 110 oz or torq at 6v but only 60 oz at 4.8 v. so you will be lacking performance.
ANd yes the foc is a must.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Elite_Tux487

The alum hinge mounts and pins are just a common item that wear out from heavy use. They will bend and bind up your suspension. I personally haven't had it happen yet..but I also don't go all out bashing my mgt..
Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hilifemt

You shouldn't need to replace the pillow balls. I can't see them wearing out. What I do is wiggle the front tires around and look at all the places where slop occurs. On the bell cranks is a typical spot. I put a washer on each one and that gets rid of some slop. Either between the BC and chassis, or the BC and skid plate. worn out rod ends and balls can cause some slop. Replace the stock servo saver with a Kimbrough #124 for extra stiffness and durability(best 6 bucks I spent on my truck). The Dude from the MGT forum sells inexpensive drag links that helps a ton on steering. I highly suggest that upgrade.
Thanks for the answer. I've got a lot of play in the hub carriers, and the steering bellcrank mount it looks like everything else is good. Thanks for the tip on the washers to shim the bellcrankI couldn't tell if that would work w/o disassembling it. Now I've got a starting point.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Evader ---> MGT

If the knuckles/hub carriers are moving on the pillow balls, give the pillow ball retainers an extra 1/4 turn tightening or enough to where it's just snug on the pillow ball. This should eliminate the slop you're talking about.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

Well as promised here it is. I ended up with a JR 3 channel radio, 5 cell orion 1600mah reciever battery, a gallon of 20%, a glow stick with charger, a set of firm springs , a fuel bottle, and a temp gun, four way wrench,and... Oh yea this wicked bad azzzzz truck!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51706.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	939327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93287.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	939328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23700.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	939329  
Old 04-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Snaut Rocket

Love it how the first pic already has a tank of gas in it.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

ORIGINAL: Snaut Rocket

Love it how the first pic already has a tank of gas in it.
Sorry man that is actually the 3 tank!!!!! I had already ran out 2 of them and my brother,who also got one of these today, said get some pics before it gets dark. So I stopped snapped some, fired it up, and torn heck outta my yard some more..
I got all that and he say one that was traded in as well and we went back and he trade a blade cx and a small amount of cash and got his truck. Wish I got some pics of his it was the dirtiest thing I ever seen. It has the 21 motor and a tuned pipe. He is cleaning it tonight so pics in a day or two.
It's kinda funny how I am 34 and he is 29 and we sounded like a couple of 10 year olds in the yard. Laughing, giggling and just having all around great fun..Can't wait till Wednesday night to run it on our track at his house..The camper top is now gone so it is a big jump with a drive under..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74206.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	939455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49311.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	939456  
Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Snaut Rocket

Sweet track
Old 04-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

Thanks!! I'll try and get some shots wed. with trucks on it..
Also, will a set of traxas t maxx wheels fit on these trucks?? I have a right rear that wobbles, and the hobby shop we traded at has a set of 4 with tires for $25 and look brand new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.