Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Update the MGT Associated!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 PM
BChiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update the MGT Associated!!!!

I love the MGT. I have three ofthem (a 21, a 4.6, and an 8.0). What I think they ought to do is either update the truck like HPI and Traxxas has done to the Savage and T-Maxx or come out with a new truck. They need to keep up with things such as forward only tranny, extended wheelbase some for better handling, Maybe drop the .50 engine and go to a .30-.36 size big block. These are some of the things I would like to see them do. I hope they read some of these forums and listen to some of us. Come on Associated. You have great products and good quality. What do some of the rest of you think?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:19 PM
twomanytoys

Default RE: Update the MGT Associated!!!!

It would be nice to update it but I dont think they would go with extended chassis. Its already the same size as the XL and XXl. It was actually the largest 1/8 scale truck for a long time with the exception of the XTm Monster mt which is on the very large side of 1/8. The MGT has been a solid reliable performer and the 8.0 is a monster.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:02 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frankly, I don't think they got much wrong to start with. The TT made engines have always been a selling point of this truck, strong, reliable, and easy to tune. If anything, they should keep the reversing transmission and include the FOC kit and instructions in the RTR. For bashing, reverse is a godsend, like when you underestimate the distance to that tree 30 yards away through the mud, and need to back up to get loose. And maybe come up with a four shock setup without fake reservoirs...
Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 PM
forrest225

I love having reverse.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:31 AM
MGT11

Reverse is great for bashing. Saves a lot of running. (maybe not a good thing. lol)
Old 03-14-2009, 04:29 PM
breezerboat

for what I do, reverse is a must.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:52 PM
ibmenace

if i could sit down and suggest with associated i would also request a .30 or a little higher engins and the extended chassi!! the extended chassi would be a big selling point for a new model and i mean if this is not what they do the n what else could they possibly do with this truck? and it is almost the same size as the xl but not. and a little less torque and the chassi length increased by 1 inch or near would make this thing fly as evenly in the air as the savage xl. i am a big basher and jumper and feel this would level the playing field for the mgt.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

The only real issue I have with these trucks is the piece of crap chincy shocks they put on there. Come on AE. Put something decent on there. Why don't they use something heavy duty like the LST shocks? If they did an upgrade like that I couldn't see anything else that needs to be messed with. If you don't want reverse, buy a Forward Only Kit for it. MOST people want reverse, if they took that away I'd be pissed. As for extending the chassis, mah, I could take it or leave it. I don't see a real need for it. I'll be buying one off of my buddy here real soon. He just bought it, doesn't really have anywhere to drive it and is going to sell it to me complete with everything it came with for only $400. I've been there everytime it's been run and he babied the crap out of it(quite frankly he drove it like a sissy) so I think $400 is a GREAT deal as it's basically a brand new truck. Can't wait to get it and be a proud MGT 8.0 owner. The 8.0 is definitely a MONSTER![>:]
Old 03-20-2009, 01:14 PM
ibmenace

well barber, congrats on the mgt. it is a monster for sure. and i would like to say that the factory mgt associated shocks that come on the mgt are top notch man, some of the best out there. the only thing they need down the road is to install the aluminum shock caps. the plastic ones on them pop off after some hard bashing, the thin plastic threads in the caps do not hold up. but the shock itself and the function of it are nice. but i would not be opposed to just 4 big hearty shocks like the losi shocks, those are killer also. and have you ever driven or jumped the savage xl 5.9? i assume no! because if you jump it for a while and then jump the mgt, it is night and day. do not get me wrong i have had all versions of the mgt and currently have a beefed up 8.0. but it takes a great deal of skill to control the mgt off big @zz jumps. the chassi and suspension of the xl is the shizzle!! for jumping but do not care for any of the other savage models
Old 03-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

I know the shocks seem to work pretty darn good on the MGT, but I would rather have seen some aluminium ones on there(yes I know you can buy the aluminium ones) without the cheesy fake remote reservoirs. I think one of the reasons AE went with 8 smaller shocks instead of four monsters, like the LST, is for tunability. It is kind of nice being able to get it super tuned due to the fact you can have different spring rates and different oil in each shock at the four corners. My buddy put four of the red AE springs on his, one at each corner, and left the rest stock blue. Man, that made a huge difference in jump ability and handling. I just hate how it costs double, versus four shocks, to buy stuff for them. What is the stock shock oil weight in an 8.0? I'm assuming it's 30 or 35wt. If that's the case I think it would also benefit a lot by putting 40-50wt in one shock at each corner. Man I can't wait to get this thing and drive it like it's supposed to be driven, HARD!!

No, I haven't had ANY experience with a Savage. I know they're one of the good trucks though, because of what I hear about them. Savages do have driveline issues from what I hear though, and my friends with MGT's and MMGT's have had no problems. Of course they've broken a control arm or two and a bumper or two, but I think those are about the only weak spots on an MGT.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:06 PM
ibmenace

yeah 35 wt. factory. i have put red and copper on mine, 50 wt oil, rpm shock bottoms and aluminum caps. and i alternate spring clips for jumping or just running. yeah you will love the mgt, do me a favor and drive it like you stole it and get back.