Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Tribute to Jeff Troy

Community
Search
Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Tribute to Jeff Troy

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 05:14 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tribute to Jeff Troy

I wanted to take a moment and pay tribute to Jeff Troy. I first met Jeff in 1981. I can clearly remember the evening I was unloading the Dave Platt (Top Flite) Contender .40 out of my dad's station wagon for show and tell at the Valley Forge Signal Seekers club meeting. It was dark and he came right up, named the plane right off and started asking me questions about the construction. This started a long modeling relationship that lasted through high school and college. Jeff quickly became the manager of the local hobby shop in King of Prussia. I can remember visiting and him showing me the finishing touches he was doing on his super finished (down to rivets!) pattern plane for the Toledo show. He loved scale and I an still remember the stories he would tell of Bleriot, the first man to cross the English Channel. He led the Sailplane contingent at VFSS, which I quickly became part. I flew 2M contests and he even inspired me to build a 2M from scratch (Scooter 2M). Over the decades, I moved out of state after college and we did not stay as connected to the local clubs in PA; he married Lisa, became editor and contributor to many model magazines and hobby related areas and ran the Sailplane NATS a few times. Every time I'd see him over the decades that have passed, , whether it be at Toledo or regional indoor fly-in, he would always ask "How's your Pop?". Later he would ask "How's your pop?" then soon followed by "How's your son?". Anyhow, I am sure Jeff has impacted probably thousands through this hobby and he will be missed.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:17 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pictures: Jeff after completing a super flight at the 1985 NATS (Chickopee, MA)

Friends: Fran, Betsy and Lisa. Thanks so much for "taking me under your wing".