Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Manoeuvre No 8

Community
Search
Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Manoeuvre No 8

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Wasson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manoeuvre No 8

Don,

Congratulations on your high placing in your recent Nationals. Another superb performance.

I would welcome any tips you might have to offer on how to fly Manoeuvre No 8 in the FAI Schedule – the 8 pt Roll, from inverted to inverted. I find a 4 pt Roll, from inverted to inverted relatively straightforward. I can also manage a respectable slow roll from inverted to inverted. However the extra 4 points on the 8 pt inverted to inverted seem to introduce a whole new bunch of opportunities for change of heading and elevation!

Questions that spring to mind are:

What throttle setting is it best to fly the manoeuvre at?
What corrections do you use for the four 45 degree points?
Do you hold in your corrections a little bit before and after you roll, or do you wait until the model has hit the point and then squeeze in the correction?
Would it help to have a special flight mode for the manoeuvre with very low elevator and rudder throws and/or very high exponential settings?

Apologies for so many questions, but it is the one manoeuvre I am really struggling with and I feel that I have reached the point where I need some expert guidance to make progress.

Many thanks

AA
Old 07-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Manoeuvre No 8

AA,

Fly it at an increased throttle setting. Half throttle until you get to point 7 and 8 then reduce to 1/4 thottle. That way the plane slows down and you can draw a line before pushing up into the vertical upline for stall turn. It astounds me why so many FAI pilots just gave up 2 points by not drawing this line before the push up. I don't mind as it allowed me to place higher.

One other hint. Roll so the top of the fuselage is toward you on the first 3 points. That way you will never have to think which way the rudder goes. It assists with correct rudder inputs.

Provide my regards to Kevin Caton

Don
Old 07-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, slap the points, Don't worry about the details. Get the centering first (point 4 directly over the center pole) Next work the rudder and elevator to keep the points generally at the same altitude. Again, throttle helps with this regard. Finally, to polish, once you have the above established, slow down the points and make them look precise. Its easy to get tail waggle or wings that "bump" back to the 45 or 90 respective. Smoothness and gracefullness last, but of course its like building a cake. The icing is the easy part.

Don
Old 07-27-2006, 03:57 AM
Wasson

Don,

Many thanks for helpful advice. Much appreciated.

Off to the practice field!

AA
Old 08-22-2006, 08:50 AM
GlennO

Hi Don,
A little trick I use in determining which rudder input to use when looking at the belly is, I always
push the stick to the direction the plane is travelling, or to the nose.
works great for me.

Glenn.

Aus.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:15 AM
Barye
My Feedback: (27)

Please explain in greater detail the rudder correction. Thanks
Old 08-22-2006, 06:48 PM
GlennO

I wanted a quick fool-proof way of remembering which way to push the rudder stick when looking at the belly.
For example, I may want to do a one and a quarter pos snap which brings the plane to knife edge. I simply just push the stick to the
direction the plane is heading (as long as I'm looking at the belly of course).
If the plane is travelling from right to left and i'm looking at the belly, it's left rudder. It works great for me, and I've suggested this to other
guys and they've used it also.
Some may like it,others won't!! but it works no question.

When I do the 8 point from in inverted to inverted, I always look at the belly first, I like it that way, and with this little trick, rudder input is
always easy to remember

Hope this helps.

Glenn.