Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 Planes

Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

New Hanger 9 Planes

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 03:52 AM
wfbland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 Planes

can anyone help with a set of plans for the h9 sukhoi 33% i got a second hand plane and need some ideas to finish it off i have a da 100 for it
Old 08-31-2005, 12:21 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Well Mike, I don't know if this falls into the right category, but it would be interesting to see an ARF Autogyro.

Woops
Old 09-01-2005, 06:31 PM
laker500
My Feedback: (2)

I have a H9 1/4 scale Cub that is great. Its the older version that used the 2 flat aluminum bars for the wing. Everyone that sees it has to be convinced it's an ARF, they think its been scratch built! How would I go about getting a set of clipped wings for it short of actually scratch building some myself. I dont want to cut down the ones I have as I enjoy it as a full span but thought it would be fun as a clipped wing too. Anybody have any ideas?? Jeff
Old 09-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Bill Mixon

Something that's missing is a good line of light 3D aerobatic planes in the 60-90 glow or electric power range. These need to be creative designs like the Tensor biplane for example. Scale planes in this size range just do not make good 3D aerobatic models IMO.
The ones that are out there by all the different manufactures now are too heavy, and do not have the control authority really needed for 3D, or they have poor post stall flight qualities such as wing rocking for example.

Many of the current offerings are a combination of 3D/pattern which I know many seem to like, but they are a compromise IMO and do not excell at pattern or 3D.
So in addition to a line of 3D specific designs, maybe a pattern design or two might be something to look into. Something a little smaller than the 2m planes, but bigger than the .40 size sport pattern planes
Old 09-05-2005, 05:15 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

I think the ShowTime fills both of those.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Bill Mixon

The Showtime is one of those "compromise" planes that I mentioned above which will do pattern and 3D, but does neither really well.
I saw the Showtime fly at SEFF, and have seen numerous videos of them flown with glow power. I have yet to fly one, but judging by it's weight, wing area, moments, etc it's not an optimal 3D design IMO.
People make them look really good in the videos with the rolling harrier passes with the tail almost draging the ground. However, that is with a very good pilot that has spent a lot of time with it or similar configured and loaded designs.
The average 3D/funfly pilot will not be able to fly it like that, and hovering these planes is a bit difficult due to the long tail moment / surface effectiveness .
The span is 66" with 900sq" or area, and from what I've seen they are comming in at the 9 lbs range give or take. That's pretty heavily loaded for 3D flying.
To get similar "floaty" 3D characteristics like those of a foam indoor model, or like a 40% aerobatic design the weight would need to be a good bit less than 9 lb. I haven't calculated it, but I would guess somewhere in the 6-7.5 lb range.
I know that's a construction challenge, but it can be done on "function over form" designs where the goal isn't good looks but rather light weight and good 3D qualities.

Anyway,
Just thought I would mention the idea. I really think 3D specific designs would do very well. About all that's available now that's close to this are the profile planes. They have their own problems and IMO seem to be optimized for nothing but hanging on the prop.

Regards
Old 09-07-2005, 03:40 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

I have to disagree with a lot of that. The ST is very easy to hover, especially with the SFG's on it. The harrier rolls you mention are easy with it as well. It isnt a floaty 3D plane you are correct, but it isnt supposed to be either. IMO thos planes are so limited in their ability that they get old very fast.

I'd also put it up against almost any 90 size pattern plane for pattern.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Call me crazy, but I like to actually fly the airplane before I praise or condemn it.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:30 AM
budgetdude
My Feedback: (6)

Does that artistic pattern still exist??
Old 09-08-2005, 01:35 AM
Bill Mixon

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound negative or to condemn the design, Doug. That wasn't my intention at all, as I'm sure it is very good at what it's designed for. Per Mikes post it's not a floaty 3D plane so I don't have to fly it to know. It's just not my cup of tea so to speak. I've been flying for quite a while and have flown lots of different types over the years so I have a general idea of how something will fly based on planform, wingloading, etc. Plus, as I mentioned I have seen the plane fly.
I'll probably get some stick time on one later this year.
It isnt a floaty 3D plane you are correct, but it isnt supposed to be either. IMO thos planes are so limited in their ability that they get old very fast.
I understand and respect your point of view. Not all of us fly artistic, IMAC, or pattern though. I'm sure that there are many of us that would be thrilled to see "3D only" arf designs made available. About ten years ago I started designing my own light loaded 3D designs due to none being available, and they haven't started getting old to me yet. I fly other things as well, but on a wind free morning or evening when I want to have fun this is the type of plane I fly and have the most fun with.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Regards
Old 09-08-2005, 10:43 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

So Mike does that comment about the Yaks mean a Yak may be coming?
Rather see a sukhoi (big) though.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:08 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

I have to disagree with a lot of that. The ST is very easy to hover, especially with the SFG's on it. The harrier rolls you mention are easy with it as well. It isnt a floaty 3D plane you are correct, but it isnt supposed to be either. IMO thos planes are so limited in their ability that they get old very fast.

I'd also put it up against almost any 90 size pattern plane for pattern.
I loved mine until I made the mistake of progamming my 6102 with high and low rates backward and did a blender (Thinking i was on high rates) with the botttom real low. at the bottom it didnt flatten out.it spun. i tried to power it out but my rates were on low and at the altitude i was at wouldnt have come out..[] Im getting another but i havent got the cash now[&o] It was also the only plane ive owned that would KE sqare loop. It also patterned great. Also the crash i think hurt my YS-110. i put it on a 7.5lb cap i have and it was weak on power and dead sticked on me twice.. ive had the motor for a year and it never dead sticked...
Old 09-09-2005, 08:05 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Mike, A 33% Patty 260 would be the absolute best(for the H9 33%line) that you could do in my view.(whatever you may think of it) Also, the Yak is the biggest name out there right now. I HATE looking at the Yak 54 and don't think I could stand another one, but the 55 might be good. It has the Yak name and isn't so ugly.

Woops
Old 09-09-2005, 10:34 PM
budgetdude

Would it be possible to enlarge the showtime to the size of a current comp pattern ship for a reasonable price? Maybe with a little extra wing area to carry the Saito 150-80. What I am asking for is a full size pattern plane for the people, I love these birds but there is no way I could muster the patience of building one properly. That and I dont want a tai ji.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:44 PM
crazyextra300

yeah a pure bred pattern plane, with all built up construction would be great for us guys that wanna fly pattern but don't want to dish out the big bucks for those composite beauties

how 'bout it mike??
Old 09-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Matt_McCarty
My Feedback: (2)

35-36% bird that would fit the new E-116,
electric showtime that is the same size as the funtana and edge,
larger showtime sounds cool too,
and a wild design monoplane foamy that is comparable in size to a tensor, like a YF-70

Thanks
Old 09-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Mike,

Not to repeat myself too much but.........

Sukhoi!
Old 09-12-2005, 04:42 PM
drumbum

ORIGINAL: Robotech

Mike,

Not to repeat myself too much but.........

Sukhoi!
DITTO!!!!

New and improved!!!
Old 09-15-2005, 12:42 AM
budgetdude

ORIGINAL: budgetdude

Would it be possible to enlarge the showtime to the size of a current comp pattern ship for a reasonable price? Maybe with a little extra wing area to carry the Saito 150-80. What I am asking for is a full size pattern plane for the people, I love these birds but there is no way I could muster the patience of building one properly. That and I dont want a tai ji.
"Squeeky Wheel"
Old 09-16-2005, 12:50 PM
James VanHook

I have come across a used Saito 72 now in my possession. I have looked hard for something to put it in but am coming up with nothing. Now I love 3d just as much as everyone, but I have never had a scale plane. I am looking for a plane that I can sit back and fly around easy. Something clipped wing cub like. Drag one wheel down the runway, big wingovers, ect. Lazy fun flying. This type of airplane, believe it or not, is hard to come by in a 40 size package. I was also looking for something funfly like, profile or twist like but made by Hanger 9. Too many twist at the field now, so I was looking for something different. Has Hanger 9 ever had a profile?

What about a plane like the Flitton Extra 330? Great plane from what I hear, or is that Funtana catagory?

I am also all for the big Tensor you could power by a Saito 100 or YS 110.

And all out 90 size pattern plane would rock. I have never done any pattern until I bought a showtime and love it. I dont even fly it on 3d rates just because it flies pattern so good.

But I would love to see a full on 3d machine too.

All in all there are tons of gaps to fill, and you cant fill them all.

Woops- have you ever seen a real Yak 55? Do a search on google on one, you will see they look nothing like a rc yak 55. In my opinion the real yak 55 is the ugliest aerobatic machine ever built.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Tweet

I'd like to see you reissue the larger P-51 with lessons learned that seem to have been implemented in the upcoming P-47.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:04 AM
budgetdude

Hey Tweet where did you feel the tickle.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Tweet

Not sure if I understand you Budgetdude.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:43 PM
cccdad

I agree with MM that the ST hovers great with saito 100. The plane is a great design. The quality of my kit sucks. every time I flown it I find a weak spot or twist. I guess this is the price I paid to have the first one at my field. I have called horizion and the response has been once it has flown it my problem. I don't think I am alone as I have read other posts on this site about QC issues. For now I have given up on my showtime until these issues are resolved, or Horizion realizes the problem and can make good on an airplane that I paid hard earned money for.

nothing against you Mike I love the design. The plane has great qualities with and with out SFGs
Old 09-18-2005, 01:54 PM
budgetdude

I'm sorry Tweet that may be some new slang I threw at you, what tweet base were you at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.